Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mcrain, Jan 11, 2012.
What the hell is wrong with people??
Putting special needs kids in bags are OK, but putting them in closets is wrong?
The parents weren't informed, the kids were "screaming," the closets weren't built for the purpose... aside from that, it's a similar story.
Unbelievable. So if the closets were made for this purpose, it makes it ok?
Maybe, I don't know. I would have some questions before I jumped to that conclusion.
Let's not do this again.
For the love of Jobs and all things Apple, please, can we not feed the mcrain in this thread? Please?
Not to split hairs, but according to the original post a parent said "closet is pretty much what it is"--so those were the words of a parent. It's not clear to me that the rooms weren't created for that purpose.
That being said, I think its a good idea to go over with parents exactly how a child may be punished *before* it happens. Particularly, when those punishments are unorthodox such as placing a child in a small room.
As to whether putting a screaming special needs child in these rooms/closets is proper or not--I'd have to defer to experts in this field. Are any special needs teachers reading this thread? I was made to stand in a corner once when I misbehaved in elementary school--not sure its much different than that.
If your kid can't behave himself well enough to attend a school that cannot use corporal punishment to curb bad behavior, then either do your job as a parent and teach your kid to behave, or don't send your kid there. If that kid was being physically violent and required intervention that would have been illegal, sticking him in the closet may have been the better solution.
Yes, great post! LOL!! I like how you think. Now, can you defend the school? I'll take on the parent's position this time.
There is never a time where it is ok to stick a special needs student in a closet!
Completely agreed until here...
I can't imagine anything a child can do that would bring me to the point where I felt the only way to keep everyone safe is to jail him in a closet. Ok, I guess we can imagine a kid with a gun, but come on.
This, just like the bag thing, comes down to the parents. Children are what we make them. I understand that there are chemical imbalances and genetics to consider too, but if those are ~25% of what makes them, we sure as hell are the other ~75%.
Christ buddy, got a little excited there? It worries me how excited you just got that you get to argue again. I understand that you're mcrain Esq., but this forum isn't here for fighting out of entertainment value, it's here for debate and conversation.
Yeah, I know. Isn't it great! Best test of your faith in anything is to argue against it. Plus, it's fun.
Yet you continue to 'feed' him...
Oh, awkward. You were quoting but there was no quote and I missed the obvious lol Promptly disregard.
I think there's a difference between feeding trolls' needs for fighting the Devil's advocate, and calling him out on odd behavior in general as a sidenote.
I wasn't quoting. I was plagiarizing for comic effect. There is a difference.
Ah **** ap lol I got it!
Except, I know there is a line between what is legal and what is not, and there is a line between civil liability and none. I think these two cases, their similarities and differences, are good examples to use. I think its interesting, and I would like to talk about it. If you don't, that's fine.
I seriously don't understand why people would get upset that I like talking about this subject. It really is no different than other poster's being interested in gay rights or tax rates or Wall St. or whatever.
No one is forcing anyone to read this thread or to interact. If you are interested, want to debate, or have an opinion, feel free to share it. If not, why does it bother you that I do?
Put gym mats on the walls, and call it the Quiet Room.
Some 'parent(s)' create a Damion, and the teacher and other nice girls & boys are to put up with his antics?
I don't think to.
This kid needs to be "reclassified".
Very interesting source if you care about this issue:
Tons of resources.
No Connecticut bashing this time eh?
I know that I am very special and it took an age for me to come out of my closet.
And you look absolutely FABULOUS in fuchsia.
Are we talking about a school or a detention facility?
I do it all the time but I live here.
There are certain children that just should not be in school. Those that are so disruptive that they have to be locked away for fear of hurting themselves or other students, and those that are so disabled that they cannot comprehend anything and need a teachers aid to wipe their drool.