Teachers punish special needs students by locking in closet.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mcrain, Jan 11, 2012.

1. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

What the hell is wrong with people??
    FoxNews

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Putting special needs kids in bags are OK, but putting them in closets is wrong?

3. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

The parents weren't informed, the kids were "screaming," the closets weren't built for the purpose... aside from that, it's a similar story.

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Unbelievable. So if the closets were made for this purpose, it makes it ok?

5. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

Maybe, I don't know. I would have some questions before I jumped to that conclusion.

6. soco macrumors 68030

soco

Let's not do this again.

For the love of Jobs and all things Apple, please, can we not feed the mcrain in this thread? Please?

7. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Not to split hairs, but according to the original post a parent said "closet is pretty much what it is"--so those were the words of a parent. It's not clear to me that the rooms weren't created for that purpose.

That being said, I think its a good idea to go over with parents exactly how a child may be punished *before* it happens. Particularly, when those punishments are unorthodox such as placing a child in a small room.

As to whether putting a screaming special needs child in these rooms/closets is proper or not--I'd have to defer to experts in this field. Are any special needs teachers reading this thread? I was made to stand in a corner once when I misbehaved in elementary school--not sure its much different than that.

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

If your kid can't behave himself well enough to attend a school that cannot use corporal punishment to curb bad behavior, then either do your job as a parent and teach your kid to behave, or don't send your kid there. If that kid was being physically violent and required intervention that would have been illegal, sticking him in the closet may have been the better solution.

9. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

Yes, great post! LOL!! I like how you think. Now, can you defend the school? I'll take on the parent's position this time. :)

There is never a time where it is ok to stick a special needs student in a closet!

10. soco, Jan 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2012

soco macrumors 68030

soco

Completely agreed until here...

I can't imagine anything a child can do that would bring me to the point where I felt the only way to keep everyone safe is to jail him in a closet. Ok, I guess we can imagine a kid with a gun, but come on.

This, just like the bag thing, comes down to the parents. Children are what we make them. I understand that there are chemical imbalances and genetics to consider too, but if those are ~25% of what makes them, we sure as hell are the other ~75%.

Christ buddy, got a little excited there? It worries me how excited you just got that you get to argue again. I understand that you're mcrain Esq., but this forum isn't here for fighting out of entertainment value, it's here for debate and conversation.

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

12. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

Yeah, I know. Isn't it great! :) Best test of your faith in anything is to argue against it. Plus, it's fun.

13. 184550 Guest

Yet you continue to 'feed' him... :rolleyes:

14. soco macrumors 68030

soco

Oh, awkward. You were quoting but there was no quote and I missed the obvious lol Promptly disregard.

I think there's a difference between feeding trolls' needs for fighting the Devil's advocate, and calling him out on odd behavior in general as a sidenote.

15. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I wasn't quoting. I was plagiarizing for comic effect. There is a difference. :D

16. soco macrumors 68030

soco

Ah **** ap lol I got it! :rolleyes:

17. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

Except, I know there is a line between what is legal and what is not, and there is a line between civil liability and none. I think these two cases, their similarities and differences, are good examples to use. I think its interesting, and I would like to talk about it. If you don't, that's fine.

I seriously don't understand why people would get upset that I like talking about this subject. It really is no different than other poster's being interested in gay rights or tax rates or Wall St. or whatever.

No one is forcing anyone to read this thread or to interact. If you are interested, want to debate, or have an opinion, feel free to share it. If not, why does it bother you that I do?

18. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Put gym mats on the walls, and call it the Quiet Room.

Some 'parent(s)' create a Damion, and the teacher and other nice girls & boys are to put up with his antics?

I don't think to.

This kid needs to be "reclassified".

(Some :rolleyes:.)

19. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

20. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

21. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

I know that I am very special and it took an age for me to come out of my closet.

KGB;)

22. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

And you look absolutely FABULOUS in fuchsia. [​IMG]

23. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Are we talking about a school or a detention facility? :confused:

24. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I do it all the time but I live here.

There are certain children that just should not be in school. Those that are so disruptive that they have to be locked away for fear of hurting themselves or other students, and those that are so disabled that they cannot comprehend anything and need a teachers aid to wipe their drool.