Teamspeak for OS X Users!

Soulstorm

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 1, 2005
I just found out that there is a Teamspeak client for OS X coming out shortly. It's named TeamSpeex.

I'm so happy, I just can't wait to play WOW with this... :)

mojohanna

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Cleveland
Problem is they have been saying that it is coming for at least a year now :mad: . I can't imagine that it is that diffucult to create this type of system for OSX. I am not a programmer so I subscribe to the "if it seems like it should be easy, it is probably the most difficult, and if it seem like it would be difficult, it is probably easy" theory.

Ventrilo is also supposed to be developing a mac client as well.

Soulstorm

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 1, 2005
mojohanna said:
Problem is they have been saying that it is coming for at least a year now :mad: . I can't imagine that it is that diffucult to create this type of system for OSX. I am not a programmer so I subscribe to the "if it seems like it should be easy, it is probably the most difficult, and if it seem like it would be difficult, it is probably easy" theory.

Ventrilo is also supposed to be developing a mac client as well.
Read carefully the link... This teamspeak client that was in development has nothing to do with teamspeex.

Soulstorm

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 1, 2005
I downloaded yesterday... It got me a few hours to find some servers to test it, but eventually, I did, and it worked flawlessly!

Santaduck

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2003
Honolulu
Public beta has now been released for everyone.

UPDATE: the developer's download page has been swamped and unreachable due to demand. See the above news link for mirror URLs.

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
Hmm, I tried to connect to the clan server of one of my friends, but it didn't connect. I can't get to the site of the developer for obvious reasons, so has anyone an idea what the problem might be?

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
Veldek said:
Hmm, I tried to connect to the clan server of one of my friends, but it didn't connect. I can't get to the site of the developer for obvious reasons, so has anyone an idea what the problem might be?
The server has to be using a the speex compressor for this client to work. If it is, then I would check firewall issues next.

Santaduck

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2003
Honolulu
anyone else have the issue where you can hear other Windows users just fine, but you can't hear other Mac users connected to the same server?

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
crazzyeddie said:
The server has to be using a the speex compressor for this client to work. If it is, then I would check firewall issues next.
I'll check this tomorrow. Thanks for the info.

Santaduck

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2003
Honolulu
The developer just told me that his website is NOT down due to high demand.

It has actually been DDoS'd, and is down until at least tomorrow. We're getting a couple of known bugs worked out. If you're a beta-test type and would like to participate (i.e. systematically looking for bugs, rather than just playing), drop me a PM here.

Catfish Jones

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2005
mojohanna said:
Problem is they have been saying that it is coming for at least a year now :mad: .
And here I was reading the thread title and getting all excited about a release. Yep, I've been hearing this trumpet for a while now... I'll believe it when I have the client running on my machine.

freeorangeshoes

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2004
Catfish Jones said:
And here I was reading the thread title and getting all excited about a release. Yep, I've been hearing this trumpet for a while now... I'll believe it when I have the client running on my machine.
they just released a public beta...

Soulstorm

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 1, 2005
Catfish Jones said:
This thing is programmed by AN INDIVIDUAL who just needed it. It didn't have anything to do with the official Teamspeak release (at least in the begginning). As for the program... I have it and though it has only the basic functions, it works flawlessly for me.

Santaduck

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2003
Honolulu
Ditto what Soulstorm said:

This is NOT an official release from Teamspeak.

The Mac client was written by a frustrated Mac user tired of waiting-- he was so tired, he went and wrote it himself.

And now, apparently, he's been threatened with legal action from the official Teamspeak Communication Systems. :eek:

chaosbunny

macrumors 68000
Santaduck said:
Ditto what Soulstorm said:

This is NOT an official release from Teamspeak.

The Mac client was written by a frustrated Mac user tired of waiting-- he was so tired, he went and wrote it himself.

And now, apparently, he's been threatened with legal action from the official Teamspeak Communication Systems. :eek:
This explains why his site is still down. Sadly I wasn't able to download the program, and I was so happy I'd finally have teamspeak on our molten core run on friday.
:(
Anybody knows of another place to get it?

Catfish Jones

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2005
And so the epic tragedy of Teamspeak for Mac continues. Since the gifted G5s, the release date always been just over the horizon.

There's a word for this sort of thing, vaporware.

Good on the frustrated user, that knock-off Teamspeak will be floating around P2P networks for a good deal of time to come.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
Meh, Skype works fine - cross platform.

That's why I use a PC for gaming - no missing out on stupid things like this ;)