Phones Teaser video for rumored announcement of Samsung Galaxy J

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by tbayrgs, Dec 7, 2013.

1. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

So it looks like Samsung may be unveiling their next handset Monday. Speculation based on the teaser video is that it's a version of the Samsung Galaxy J that's been exclusive to Japan to this point.

The video was from Samsung Taiwan so there's no certainty if it's actually going to be released anywhere else yet. I'm not a big Samsung fan but have to admit, that thing is a beast, at least spec-wise. Basically a scaled down Note 3 (minus the stylus, of course) and either a faux metal or real metal backing. Regardless, a far better looking design, IMO.

2. WilliamBateman macrumors regular

3. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Yep, that is what this teaser probably is. Otherwise, why would it be in English? If it was just for Korea or Japan, why bother with English?

And $20 says it is faux aluminum. I know Samsung wants to be like Apple, hence the 'Simply Elegant' diamond on the phone part of the ad, but I just can't see them giving up the plastic. They are the kings of plastic molding and can change designs on the fly with thermo-molding at minimal time lost or expense. It is extremely slow to retool the assembly line with a metal chassis.

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Oh god I've only had my note 3 a few months.... Android refresh cycle is toooo fast :)

5. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Not a huge fan of the brushed metal. Looks fake. HTC got it right with the One.

6. WilliamBateman macrumors regular

Well a phone with a five inch display and that size battery with real aluminum would be quite heavy, look how heavy the One is and that's only 4.7 inch. I would much rather have a lighter phone then something brick like, couldn't care less if it's real metal or not.

7. tbayrgs thread starter macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Agreed about the faux metal. Brief glimpse in the video still looks like a removable back panel and considering Samsung's recent 'faux' looks on their Note devices, I assumed I was looking at a faux brushed aluminum--similar to what they did with the Ativ S Windows phone. Yes, it's plastic but IMO, still looks nicer than Samsung's glossy panels.

Specs aside, I still won't even consider it unless TouchWiz undergoes a massive overhaul.

Attached Files:

8. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

I think you misinterpreted my meaning. I prefer carbon-kevlar/fiber, plastic or wood over metal and glass designs. I hate that cold metal feel. No life to it at all. I wasn't knocking Samsung for using plastic at all. It makes perfect sense for them to use plastic. I mean, when you are churnning out 3 times the number of phones Apple is every quarter, you don't have much choice.

What I would prefer to see is painted and/or clear-coated reinforced carbon-kevlar weave casings, with aluminum chassis phones.

9. mclld macrumors 68000

10. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

For some reason, I get the feeling that the most exciting thing about this phone will be that 20 second teaser clip.

11. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

The release cycle of the note is yearly, the S series is on a separate release cycle and is almost due a new one ;)

12. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I know that ;) plus it depends on wether it's a S standard/active/zoom/max/mini/lteA etc.... Still seems early to be talking about a new S5 but hey ho....

13. oplix macrumors 65816

oplix

Apple & Samsung secret meeting. Place: Secret lair behind the Hollywood sign. Time: August 11th, 2011, 0900 hr.

Apple: We will allow you to copy our metal design no sooner than one year from announcement of godphone 5 if you give us direct access to your nuclear fusion reactor for iSpaceship "headquarters".

Samsung: We want Apple Maps.

14. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Considering Samsung's repair center totally butchered my repair after having the unit for like a month now (and didn't even BOTHER to inspect it, they just saw that it didn't power on, so they replaced the motherboard, even though it was working in my possession), I don't care. That company doesn't deserve another cent or my time. They blew it big time with me.

They could release the next best thing, and I could care less. My camera broke on my S2 Skyrocket 6 months in, their whole business tactic is to copy everyone, and they can't even fix a device that I specifically showed them what the problem was. Not to mention that I think their AMOLED isn't as great as they're said to be, and prefer the LCD on this last unit.

I'm done, really, I'm not buying anything they make, ever again. They could make a nice Windows Phone and even then I wouldn't buy it.

15. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

When's the last time you purchased a Samsung phone?

16. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Would have been believable, but nobody wants Apple Maps, not even Apple.