Tech firms trying to emulate NRA lobby

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by nebo1ss, Jan 20, 2014.

1. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

The G20 is presently drafting stronger laws to prevent the blatant abuse of Tax laws in Europe by US Tech firms. The DEG "Digitial Economy Group" has been formed specifically as a Lobby Group by US Tech firms to prevent the changes planned or water them down.

Google, Apple, Amazon etc are very unpopular with their abuse of the tax systems in Europe and most want to see them pay a fair Tax on money earned in each country.

The sums involved are hugh and the financial engineering employed by these firms are borderline legal and often a mis-representative of facts.

Hopefully they will not be as successful as the NRA is with its Lobby.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/jan/19/tech-firms-attempt-halt-tax-avoidance-reforms

2. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

What the hell does the NRA have to do with this on any level?

NRA doesn't even appear in the Guardian piece.

3. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

The OP obviously feels that they are using the NRA's lobbying practices as a model.

It's his 'opinion'.

Better?

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

So, your politicians create the tax laws which Apple, Google, Amazon, et al. follow, and yet the companies are the evil ones.:rolleyes:

5. nebo1ss thread starter macrumors 68030

When you have three billion Sterling of advertisement sales in the UK and you claim you have none because the sales staff are in Ireland that is not necessarily following the rules. Particularly when you are caught advertising for sales staff in the UK.

6. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

I believe the UK uses residency to determine who pays tax in the UK. If these companies are not residents of the UK, then why should they pay tax to the UK?

The ones who designed the tax structure shouldn't blame the companies using it :rolleyes:

7. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

8. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I admit that I am confused by the original post. The NRA is, in point of fact, evil, but, no, it did not invent lobbying.

The graph of spending on lobbying is definitely eye-opening, and shows you why healthcare is such a mess. Good graph. I fear it is only the tip of the iceberg, though-- just direct spending on lobbying, without including all the fear-mongering ads, the misleading ads, the public "education", etc., that is also attempting to persuade the public and lawmakers on various issues.

9. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Of course you ignore the good the NRA does with training and firearms/hunter safety classes.

I forget why is the NRA evil again?!?!

10. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

NRA was thrown in to get attention. It has nothing to do with whatever this thread is about.

And how is the NRA evil again. Someone said they engaged in tactics that would make people puke. I'm not hurling yet so...