Technical Pros and Cons of top spec 2015 V 2016 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RHD 42, Oct 28, 2016.

1. RHD 42 macrumors member

RHD 42

I was going to buy a new MBP.
    I've needed one for a couple of years, my current one is a 17" 2011 "vintage" product, so Apple told me when I tried to get a new battery for it.

I could use some help people.
    I do 3D rendering and usually go for max spec, but that was when it was cheaper because we were't paying for emojie bars that no one can adequately explain.

So, perfomance wise, do I go for a 2015 top spec processor and graphics card (mid sized hard drive) macbook Pro that I can connect to things or is it really better to pay another £600+ for the equivalent 2016 and then another £200 in adapters and things?

I want a reliable and speedy workhorse not a finicky thing that doesn't have an escape key or a magsafe, and that touch bar isn't going to work with any of my software. I'm not signing up to Adobe Cloud for anyone. Once was enough!

Performance wise, is there a lot in it?

2. ekuLoN macrumors newbie

ekuLoN

A country where a schizophrenic has ruled
    This questions answer is strongly related with your thoughts on year of usage
    if answer is 5+ years like your 2011 mbp then you must buy the new one. Because usb type c and thunderbolt 3 will standard of future.
    Just imagine this world: there is no usb type-a anywhere. All gadgets work with type-c. Everywhere full of a 4k and 8k screens. No sd cards. No hdmi tvs.
    But if this world ever will be real than your mac will be obsolete by the time it is.

This is a bit paradoxical question. But short answer is ''always buy the new one and problems will be solved in a one way or another.''

For the performance wise, the difference is quite big. Because mid 2015 MBP isn't mid 2015. It's 2013's technology. Both the CPU and the GPU side

Sorry about my english hope it's understandableo_O

3. RHD 42 thread starter macrumors member

RHD 42

Your English is fine but what I was wanting was someone how could put the basic specs of the 2015 V 2016 processor speeds and graphics cards into perspective as I'm an end user rather than an expert.

"Always buy a new one and problems will be solved" is not my experience at all.
    Newer and more expensive does not automatically equal better.

In this instance it is not just the machine, it is all the software that will need to be upgraded just so I can get a function bar and an escape key and £200 pounds worth of connectors so I can connect to any of my other devices.
    This could be thousands of pounds worth of software updates I would not otherwise need right now just to get function keys to work.

This is not a worthwhile "upgrade" this is stupid.

So I need a REALLY good reason from a speed and graphics card aspect.I'm not seeing it at at the moment.

4. The Mercurian macrumors 65816

I don't have any experience in your area of work - BUT - any 2015 machine is going to be a massive boost in all respects compared to a 2011 machine. Does your old one have an SSD ? That alone is going to blow your mind. So from a performance point of view both 2015 and 2016 machines are going to be so much better than a 2011 machine. The real question is do you need to spend the extra money for the flashy bits ?

5. RHD 42 thread starter macrumors member

RHD 42

No, I couldn't go that far financially, I maxed the RAM and the processor.
    Thank you for that thought, it had not occurred to me!

I've found a good thread here also and think I'm going to look round for the best priced top spec 2015 machine I can find.
    It's going to be a lot more practical and if my wonderful old 17" MBP can still just about hack it then last years should be pretty amazing!

Thanks!

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/2015-vs-2016-any-advice-is-welcome.2010186/#post-23811600

6. ekuLoN, Oct 28, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2016

ekuLoN macrumors newbie

ekuLoN

A country where a schizophrenic has ruled
    you are right about prices. Considering the price of the products, changes in the level is not satisfactory. But the 2015 15'' top tier Mbp isn't 2015. The Cpu: Haswell refresh so basically its a haswell. 22nm and 2013.
    the Gpu: Renamed AMD ''Cape Verde'' all way back to 2012. GNC 1.0. 28nm
    I dunno, i think this is waste of money because we are nearly 2017 and you do 3D rendering.
    If you catch a very good deal, then buy the 2015 15'' rMBP otherwise the new one is better choice.

7. Clint_Barton macrumors 6502

dont bother maxing the processor, max the graphics

8. RHD 42 thread starter macrumors member

RHD 42

Thanks, I've always done both but if it comes to a choice I'll go with graphics.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 28, 2016 ---
    Thanks, neither is ideal to be honest but the logistics of the new ones, and the price, are not appealing at all.
    I'm majorly disappointed but have to make the best of it.

9. Clint_Barton macrumors 6502

assuming you are going with the 15in, the speed/power boost between the 2.6-2.7-2.9 should be neglible, maybe a few % each time.

EDIT: that means that if a job takes like 60 seconds on the 2.6, it might take 58 seconds on the 2.7 and 56 seconds on the 2.9. that is just speculation, but that seems to be the general consensus

10. RHD 42 thread starter macrumors member

RHD 42

The 15" is the biggest screen they do these days and I'm worried about it being too small for daily use.
    Concentrate on the RAM seems to be the message.
    Thank you.