Techtool Pro, is it any good ¿

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mr.Noisy, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Mr.Noisy macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

Ive just experienced a failure with the OS hard drive on my photography mac pro (only os and various apps on this drive), now after trying various disk repairs, i'm in the middle of re-installing OS X, but after doing some research ive decided to invest in a good repair/maintenance application & i was wondering if Techtool Pro is Worth the investment, any good/bad experiences using this?

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It is good but there isn't any one tool that's great.

Tech Tool Pro is better at hardware issues than drive issues. DiskWarrior and Drive Genius do okay at drive problems but don't handle anything else, though Prosoft Engineering (Drive Genius) have several other tools. I have Tech Tool Pro and Drive Genius.

The trouble is, when something going desperately wrong, grabbing your back up is the only thing that's going to help. For minor to medium level problems, any of the three will work.

3. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I have Techtool Deluxe that came with Applecare. It successfully diagnosed a faulty video card and a faulty hard drive.

I had them both replaced by Apple. When it comes to hard drives, in particular, it's better to be safe than sorry... if there are errors cropping up, particularly if they keep happening even after you've 'fixed' them once or twice, then it's time for a new one.

4. Mr.Noisy thread starter macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

Thanks for the replies, i think i will get techtool pro, ive got the os on an external drive as back up should things go bump, but hopefully i can restore life to the drive and be on my way, worst case scenario - a new drive.