Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr.Noisy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 5, 2007
UK™
Ive just experienced a failure with the OS hard drive on my photography Mac Pro (only os and various apps on this drive), now after trying various disk repairs, i'm in the middle of re-installing OS X, but after doing some research ive decided to invest in a good repair/maintenance application & i was wondering if Techtool Pro is Worth the investment, any good/bad experiences using this?

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
It is good but there isn't any one tool that's great.

Tech Tool Pro is better at hardware issues than drive issues. DiskWarrior and Drive Genius do okay at drive problems but don't handle anything else, though Prosoft Engineering (Drive Genius) have several other tools. I have Tech Tool Pro and Drive Genius.

The trouble is, when something going desperately wrong, grabbing your back up is the only thing that's going to help. For minor to medium level problems, any of the three will work.

miniConvert

macrumors 68040
I have Techtool Deluxe that came with Applecare. It successfully diagnosed a faulty video card and a faulty hard drive.

I had them both replaced by Apple. When it comes to hard drives, in particular, it's better to be safe than sorry... if there are errors cropping up, particularly if they keep happening even after you've 'fixed' them once or twice, then it's time for a new one.

Mr.Noisy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 5, 2007
UK™
Thanks for the replies, i think i will get techtool pro, ive got the os on an external drive as back up should things go bump, but hopefully i can restore life to the drive and be on my way, worst case scenario - a new drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.