Ted Cruz’s Dad: “The Average Black Does Not” Understand The Minimum Wage Is Bad

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by steve knight, Sep 3, 2014.

1. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

gotta love Ted Cruz’s Dad he thinks he is a US citizen and should lecture blacks and cubans and anyone else who does not vote republian

http://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczy...ge-black-does-not-understand-the-mini#3b91w9f
    The father of Republican Texas Sen. Ted Cruz said black people “need to be educated” about Democrats, so that they will vote Republican. Cruz, who made the comments at the Western Williamson Republican Club August meeting, added “the average black does not” understand that the minimum wage is bad.
    The Aug. 21 meeting advertised that Cruz would “speak passionately on what can be done to return our nation to the principles that made America exceptional.” During the speech, Cruz spoke at length about a recent conversation he said he had with a black pastor in Bakersfield, California.
    “I said, as a matter of fact, ‘Did you know that Civil Rights legislation was passed by Republicans? It was passed by a Republican Senate under the threat of a filibuster by the Democrats,’” Cruz said. “‘Oh, I didn’t know that.’ And then I said, ‘Did you know that every member of the Ku Klux Klan were Democrats from the South?’ ‘Oh I didn’t know that.’ You know, they need to be educated.”

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Was he wrong about the democrats & the KKK? How about the civil rights?

3. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

well back in the old days the democrats were the republicans of today. I can't imagine them being democrats now. there is a reason minorities don't cote republican.

4. zin macrumors 6502

I wonder if the 2014 Republicans would pass the same civil rights legislation again if they had the chance to start from scratch.

5. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    No, he was right. The deep south, and the Klan along with it, used to be staunch democrats (look up dixiecrats for a good extreme example). They were the states rights supporting, federal government hating face of Dear Ole Dixie. Remember, it was a republican who won the War of Northern Aggression, and emancipated the slaves. The once confederate states wouldn't exactly be on good terms with them, at least not for a good long while.

But at some point in the relatively recent past, the two parties started swapping ideologies, almost to the point where they all but traded names. Democrats moved across the aisle, and republicans vice versa. Now the deep south is a solidly republican stronghold, and our first black president is a democrat.

...and no one in 1930's America would've seen that coming.

6. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

If you really want to read a non-dumbed down version of history regarding the politics of the civil rights movement of the mid-20th century, then here's an article from The Guardian to read: Were Republicans really the party of civil rights in the 1960s?

7. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

I see some republicans trying to claim how republicans love blacks do much because they freed them. Technically right but wrong.

8. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

9. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

For one thing, Roosevelt issued Executive Order 8802, creating the Fair Employment Practices Committee (FEPC), the most important federal move in support of the rights of African-Americans between Reconstruction and the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

10. APlotdevice, Sep 3, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2014

APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

That depends on which Klan you're talking about: The first Klan (founded in late 1865, died out in 1874) was exclusively Democratic, while the second Klan (founded in 1915) courted members from both parties.

11. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

FDR was the fulcrum, no doubt. But it always seemed to me that the change hadn't become truly apparent until the 60's, when the political landscape had finally settled, and the two parties assumed their current positions.

12. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Mary Jane McLeod Bethune, American educator, civil rights leader, and a national adviser to FDR (see: Black Cabinet, below), once noted that the Roosevelt era represented "the first time in their history" that African Americans felt that they could communicate their grievances to their government with the "expectancy of sympathetic understanding and interpretation."

The Black Cabinet

13. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

He is correct on the historical points. He then goes off into unfounded interpretations, anecdotes, and general propaganda. Regarding your specific example, he ignores some of the shifts in political allegiance over the years. He also attempts to correlate minimum wage with unemployment relative to race without really backing that up in any meaningful way.

The strategy isn't uncommon. He started off with verifiable information in the form of talking points. As he built up trust in the audience, he moved away from those examples toward personal anecdotes and loose correlations.

14. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

What he and you are ignorant of, or more likely conveniently choose to overlook to make a political point is that most of those people (KKK) converted to Republican upon the advent of the Civil Rights movement. So, he's talking about his own party apparently thinking that his audience is too stupid to figure out the misdirection.

15. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Let's just say "progressives/liberals" and "conservatives" instead of Democrats or Republicans, since those labels move around over time.

We all know which side of history conservatives have been on for the last 200 years, it doesn't change.

16. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Very good point. The old Dixiecrats are now part of the Tea Party.

More importantly, could someone who is actually in favor of lowering or abolishing the minimum wage explain how that would be a good thing? Do we really want to emulate the sweat shop pay model?

17. samiwas macrumors 65816

Cruz, who made the comments at the Western Williamson Republican Club August meeting, added “the average black does not” understand that the minimum wage is bad.
    The Au[/QUOTE]

Yes! Why can't they understand that they could be working for much less money than they are now, and see the freedoms that would come because of it!

18. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I guess I'm not your 'average black' then. Nor are my parents, my aunts, uncles, and grandparents.. nor are basically anyone who lived through the Civil Rights Era and saw the Southern Strategy executed, which caused a huge shift in political ideologies during the 1964 and 1968 elections.

And I guess I must be smarter than Cruz' father, who is a complete idiot for trying to call out black people while he shows his own naivety to the world. I wish someone were there to call him out on this, because it would have been great to see his backtracking being done in front of the press.

BL.

19. noodlemanc macrumors regular

noodlemanc

Yes! Why can't they understand that they could be working for much less money than they are now, and see the freedoms that would come because of it![/QUOTE]

When I was younger I would have preferred no minimum wage, as when I was getting work experience I could have worked for something an hour instead of $0 an hour. It's ridiculous that the government can tell me how much I can work for.

It doesn't affect me anymore as I am earning well over it, but it did back then because I wasn't work $13 an hour, and the only way to be worth $13 an hour was to work. But you can't work if it's illegal to work for the amount that you're worth -- unless you work for $0 an hour, which is even worse.

20. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Cruz Senior was one of Castro's henchmen until he lost a power struggle with Fidel and had to split the island. Suddenly, he was anti-Communist.

Cruz Junior will never get the nomination. His face is just too odd, like he may have fetal alcohol syndrome. Plus, he's a high-talker. Modern American presidents always speak in a fine baritone or in a low tenor at the very most.

21. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

I don't think he's naive at all. I believe he thinks you are.

22. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

If you generated value for your employer in any way, you should have been paid. As I recall Australia ties the minimum wage somewhat to age group to encourage hiring of younger workers. In terms of roles such as internships, I'm also fairly certain that their legal terms are (or were) rather strict. I can look this up if necessary, but I don't see how this was in fact a situation.

23. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Understood, but he definitely is showing his naivety in assuming that we don't know, when there are a lot of us that do.

BL.

24. noodlemanc macrumors regular

noodlemanc

I grew up in New Zealand, not Australia -- the minimum wage there was $13 (now $14) for anyone above 16. For under 16 it was $11 I think.

And I did generate value, but when I started I was not worth $13 an hour.

25. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

That I can agree with. It's amazing how lowly our politicians think of their constituency these days.

"Hey, blacks! You remember when those democrats did all those nasty things to you? Yeah, I hear that stuff riles you people right on up! You should vote for me, cuz I'm in the same party that Abraham Lincoln was in, and you know he wrote a big letter with a lot of words in it that made you all free! VOTE FOR ME!"