Ted Cruz, a Canadian Dick

yg17

macrumors G5
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
http://www.mlive.com/lansing-news/index.ssf/2015/06/gop_hopeful_ted_cruz_after_joe.html

Cruz, speaking to an enthusiastic crowd of roughly 650 Republicans at a Livingston County GOP dinner, told a series of jokes about Democrats, including the poorly timed jab at the vice president.

"You know, Vice President Joe Biden," he said as a few chuckles emerged from the crowd, setting up the joke for him.

"You know the nice thing. You don't need a punchline. I promise you it works. At the next party you're at, just walk up to someone and say, 'Vice President Joe Biden,' and just close your mouth. They will crack up laughing."
Here's his response when asked about it later:

Q: Could you talk about the vice president losing his son this week?

A: Heartbreaking and tragic, and our prayers are very much with Vice President Biden, with Jill. It's a tragedy no one should have to endure.

Q: Why'd you tell a joke about the vice president tonight?

A: Uh .... [walks away]

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
Characteristically crass comment by Mr Cruz, unfortunately.

I have just been reading about the tragic death of Mr Beau Biden. Irrespective of one's views of the Vice President, he and his family have had more than their fair share of sorrow and tragedy.

Stay classy, Mr Cruz.

Reactions: bradl

bradl

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2008
I'll make you a deal. You take Cruz back, and we'll claim Justin Beiber as our own.
Hey.. they owe us three now. They gave us Cruz, Beiber, and Nickelback, and look what happened.

So we'll take Hadfield and Rush, and keep Alanis, and call it even. :D

Back on topic, bad timing from Cruz. You know, the old saying: Never kick a guy while he's down.. This simply shows the type of character the guy has, and he had very little to begin with.

BL.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
Hey.. they owe us three now. They gave us Cruz, Beiber, and Nickelback, and look what happened.

So we'll take Hadfield and Rush, and keep Alanis, and call it even. :D

Back on topic, bad timing from Cruz. You know, the old saying: Never kick a guy while he's down.. This simply shows the type of character the guy has, and he had very little to begin with.

BL.
Nickelback is ok.

that said, did any politician other than those close to him know what was going on with the VPs son?

Reactions: Eraserhead

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
This was a couple days ago, long after it was announced that Beau had passed.
Well, from what I have read it appears that Beau Biden was admitted to hospital on May 20, - and, while nothing was said publicly, it seemed to have been understood that he was suffering from a recurrence of the brain tumour for which he had been operated on in 2013. His death was announced on May 30.

I am not so sure that I would describe that as 'long after', especially as his funeral has yet to take place.

Reactions: Eraserhead

bradl

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2008
Nickelback is never ok. :p
There was a radio station.. in Canada, no less, whose policy was that they would NEVER play anything by Nickelback.. I think it was CBC Radio 3... Well, a guest DJ came in one night, and played a song by Nickelback. He was gone that evening.

Nickelback is so polarizing that they sent them down here for us to deal with.

Now, I can forgive them for Celine Dion.. her first 2 albums were great. So she can get a bit of a pass.. But if they took Bieber and Nickelback back, we'd gladly take Hadfield, Rush, Tom Cochrane, Y&T, Alanis, Bryan Adams, Cory Hart, and Jann Arden off their hands. :)

BL.

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind
I'm sure everyone who got their panties in a wad about Hilary being called a hag will be here any minute to complain about Cruz being called a dick.:rolleyes:

Any minute now....
Probably not...

As Rdowns said manufacturing outrage is an equal opportunity flaw. And so is not wanting to admit when you're being a hypocrite!

And having met with Cruz a ton of times (he's my Senator), a better word to describe him, IMO, is douchebag. :D

I've never met Hillary, so I can't speak to her hagginess.

bradl

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2008
I never got the hate for Nickelback. Granted, I don't really listen to them, but there's a lot worse out there.

Is hating Nickelback a thing like insisting In N Out Burger is the BEST. EVER. is a thing?

I feel like people do these things because everyone else does.
Personal opinion here.

I think it's more like a bad version of what the band Chicago did in their career. Chicago released somewhere around 35-36 albums. That's a lot since starting in the 70s, which on a couple of occasions they released 2 albums per year. But with the lower number of radio stations and and that the record companies at that time were more interested in music than money (some of the execs were musicians themselves), we weren't force fed release after release after release of songs.

Fast forward to now, where we have been by the record labels, including Nickelback's (owned by Kroger, BTW). Across various formats (radio, streaming, iTunes, etc.), we've been inundated by them over the past 15 years. That's where some of the polarization comes in.

Sorry for the digression, everyone.

BL.