Ted Cruz and Bill Cassidy file resolution to designate antifa as a domestic terrorist organization

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Solver, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Solver macrumors 6502a

"Antifa is a terrorist organization composed of hateful, intolerant radicals who pursue their extreme agenda through aggressive violence. Time and time again their actions have demonstrated that their central purpose is to inflict harm on those who oppose their views," Cruz tweeted. "Like any terrorist organization they choose to pursue their political ends through violence, fear & intimidation. They must be stopped. I’m proud to introduce this resolution w @SenBillCassidy to properly identify what Antifa are: domestic terrorists."

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/...e-antifa-as-a-domestic-terrorist-organization

2. Crowbot macrumors 6502

Crowbot

Except they're not exactly an organization.

Wiki:
    The Antifa movement is a conglomeration of autonomous, self-styled anti-fascist militant groups in the United States.

These two should go back to naming Post Offices.

3. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Looks like Bill and Ted want to go on another excellent adventure to an imaginary place where we all forget about the fact that the vast majority of extremist violence in this country is done by right wing extremists. Antifa violence needs to be stopped, but it's ridiculous to refer to them as a terrorist organization.

4. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

It doesn't matter, with this administration's FBI & DoJ, the terrorism title is & will be selectively applied.

When of all people Jeff Sessions can't think of any identity extremist groups except BLM, you kind of see where the thinking is at. You can see who & why the choose to pursue.

There's a saying about 'choosing one's enemies wisely', with this administration it's 'choose your terrorists specifically'.

5. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

This is the same Ted Cruz holding hearings on Google claiming YouTube is censoring conservatives.

6. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Yep. Antifa is a worst, a clot of street thugs who only get into trouble only when there's going to be either a right-wing provocateur, or a right-wing pro-fascist group. Without the fascists to mirror them, Antifa is nothing.

Meanwhile, the Proud Boys engage in the same behavior—10 faced assault charges in New York, 2 faced assault charges in Portland—and yet they'll escape because what, they're such well-dressed young men?

This is just political posturing at its most stupid and dangerous, and it's a sign that all these psuedo-libertarians were always ****ing lying, and will use the state's worst impulses against their political enemies when it suits them.

7. Solver thread starter macrumors 6502a

8. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

9. LordVic macrumors 603

meaningless political posturing considering "Anti-fa" isn't an organized group.

10. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

Cruz ever the opportunist sees gaining the favor of racists is back in vogue. He's on it!

11. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Republican politician blames liberals. News at 11.

Back to the facts. left wing extremist violence is rare in the US in comparison to right wing extremist violence.
    https://www.adl.org/education-and-resources/resource-knowledge-base/adl-heat-map

12. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Unprotected by "Liberal privilege" white-wing groups have killed 313 people in the past decade, and multiple members of right-wing groups have faced criminal prosecution for beating people.

I don't even like Antifa and I think their treatment of multiple reporters has been abhorrent, but classifying them as a terrorist organization based on this facile reasoning tells you that the terrorism designation is just another political weapon, rather than a reasonable analysis of threats to the American public.

Hell, if we really wanted to deal with the nation's problems, we'd evaluate how the largest drug companies in the U.S. waged war against our own citizens by selling 76 billion opioid pills in a six year period, fueling the opioid epidemic by sending up to 150 pills per person, often in rural areas across the U.S.

But, a couple of dildos throw a milkshake and set a trash-can on fire, and Cruz wants to turn the intelligence apparatus toward them.

13. raqball macrumors 68000

14. Crowbot macrumors 6502

Crowbot

So it, maybe, passes the Senate and the House won't bring it up and Cruz et al will berate the Dems for condoning left-wing violence and, of course, that was the original purpose. Cruz is one of the masters of conspicuous outrage.

15. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

So it, maybe passes. What will be conspicuous is what groups will suddenly earn the terrorist designation, and what groups commonly associated with domestic terrorism don't.

16. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

Since when is it bad to be proud of a race?

17. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

It isn't.

As long as it isn't ethnocentrism.

Which is what this logo is all about combating.

18. Crowbot macrumors 6502

Crowbot

And it will go into the"Books" and lie there for eternity. Next! This Admin is not going to acknowledge that some of his people are baddies..

19. LizKat macrumors 603

LizKat

Trying to move the media dime off Trump's random efforts towards losing the Senate in 2020 thanks to his big mouth, are they? Good luck.

Those Senators could do the country a favor and focus instead on trying to round up interest in mental health care for loners contemplating shooting up schools and other venues occupied by select or random targets plus a raft of bystanders whose only wrong move was showing up in that venue that day.

Antifa are what they are but they're not anywhere near a tenth the problem of loners occasionally deciding to just go slaughter a bunch of students or churchgoers.

Let the good Senators aim for getting some perspective on what's a more worthy legislative effort than futzing around with dropping labels on Antifa if they don't have the courage to spend some time trying to take the unruly head of the Republican Party in hand.

20. Solver thread starter macrumors 6502a

Since the far left invented their new definition of “racism” that has been used by the left.
    (By their more racist definition some races should not be proud)

21. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

No, really just google the image yourself if you don't believe me. It's literally about combating white supremacists. Not what ever triggered your rabid response about the left. Or trying yourself to redefine racism to something you are more comfortable with.

22. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

I see it as giving a bad example on the meaning. I don't think violence is the best way to go about it. Also gives the impression of being proud of your eithnic background is wrong, especially if your a Caucasian.

23. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

As stated it's about combating ethnocentrism, it isn't about being violent to those proud of their heritage.

You are working to get upset about something that isn't there.

Anymore on that context with 45 in that other thread? o_O

24. LizKat macrumors 603

LizKat

When it unpacks with a simultaneous belief that one's race is superior, it's problematic.

Anyway racial pride always borders on appropriation, no? Say I'm proud of my race because someone of my race is who invented Velcro. But so what? Does having the same race as the guy who invented Velcro actually make me special, or entitled to take "pride" in the race we share?

If that's the case then I need to get pretty selective about my "pride of race" in a hurry. And then things go downhill pretty fast. I mean it's possible someone of my race is a five star cat burglar or embezzler instead of an inventor of something a lot of people find useful. Well those criminals are special too, but not in any way I probably want to emulate or brag about.

So it starts to get complicated. And pretty soon in defense of my pride of race I'm arguing BS like "well there are only a few embezzlers in my race but you guys practically specialize in it and anyway you never invented Velcro." (like I did????)

And around then whoever's moderating the debate rings the gong.