Ted Cruz appointed to oversee NASA in Congress

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by steve knight, Jan 13, 2015.

1. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

This is like letting the monkeys in charge of banana storage. Soon what is climate change? why did we ever think the earth orbited the sun? see the world is flat.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/11/7528337/senator-ted-cruz-nasa-subcommittee
    As expected, after a major GOP win in the last Congressional election, there's been a shuffling in the ranks of committees, including those that oversee science in government. Next up to chair the Senate subcommittee on Space, Science, and Competitiveness, and thus oversee NASA in the 114th Congress: Texas Senator Ted Cruz.

"Cruz has denied climate change exists"

Cruz, a Republican, has said it is "critical that the United States ensure its continued leadership in space," but his stances on established science will no doubt be concerning: he's gone on record, for example, denying that climate change exists. Cruz has also promoted himself as a Tea Party spending hawk, attempting to slash budgets across the government.

Whether the appointment, which will be confirmed later this month, results in that happening to NASA remains to be seen. Cruz serves a constituency in Texas, home of many NASA employees who would likewise hope to see America's "continued leadership in space." But on that front, there is some history. In July 2013, Cruz attempted to amend a spending authorization bill so that it reduced the amount of funding for NASA, only to have the amendment shot down along party lines.

2. TimelessOne macrumors regular

He gets it because he is from Texas but like a normal tea idiot he is going to destroy NASA even more.

3. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

There is a limit to how badly he can damage NASA, because of this little village in Texas, called "Houston".

4. steve knight thread starter Suspended

steve knight

I doubt he cares if he screws the pooch sort of speak.

5. TimelessOne macrumors regular

not really.
    Our congressman over NASA (Weber) is crap and made national news by comparing our president to Hitler. He is a Ted Cruz Tea idiot follower and made it pretty clear he could care less about NASA. Btw this is the guy who has Nasa in his district.

Ted does not give a rats ass about Houston or even Texas. The guy is going for national level so he could say **** Texas and not care. Ted is all about getting Tea Party worship.

6. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

You think thats alarming ?

LOL

Now they want to destroy the whole government.

House Tries To Stop All New Government Rules.

"WASHINGTON -- The House passed a measure Tuesday to dramatically restrict the government's ability to enact any significant new regulations or safety standards, potentially hamstringing the efforts of every federal agency, from financial regulators to safety watchdogs."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/13/regulation-stealth-attack_n_6465900.html

7. samiwas macrumors 65816

So, let me make sure I have this clear. The Republican Congress wants to stop over-regulation by adding a bunch of regulations to the regulation-making process? They want to cut costs by adding years and years of research and analysis to each regulation proposed?

Makes perfect sense.

8. Huntn, Jan 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2015

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

FRICKN idiots, including those who vote this kind of leadership in. This is not my Father's GOP... Back when Conservatives were intelligent.

The Congress needs to get back to the basics. The problem is that it's being inundated with people of warped values who place profits above environmental and personal safety. in a nutshell: You know the collateral damage is well worth the mountains of cash we will make!!!

9. steve knight thread starter Suspended

steve knight

and the worst news these things are just the start.

10. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Eventually things will get so bad that a change will occur. It's very unfortunate that the current changes for the worse have been Gerrymandered. Hopefully the system will right itself before the loons can cause irreparable damage.

11. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

The sad truth is that NASA needs to be reined in by a skeptic. They've long since lost their way and have become an organization dining out on old achievements while pushing agendas (catastrophic AGW, for example) that smack of New Age nonsense.

Case in point:

When Samantha Cristoforetti blasted towards the International Space Station in November last year, she was carrying an unusual cargo in the form of a tiny telescope just 4 centimetres long and 1 centimetre in diameter attached to an unpowered CCD array from a smartphone camera. The telescope is part of an art project designed by the Dutch artist Diemut Strebe in which he intends to invoke quantum mechanics to generate all of the art ever made. Now MIT physicist Seth Lloyd has stepped forward to provide a scientific rationale for the project. He says the interaction of the CCD with the cosmic background radiation ought to generate energy fluctuations that are equivalent to the array containing all possible images in quantum superposition. Most of these will be entirely random but a tiny fraction will be equivalent to the great works of art. All of them! What's more, people on Earth can interact with these images via a second miniature telescope on Earth that can become correlated with the first. Lloyd says this is possible when correlated light enters both telescopes at the same time. Strebe plans to make his quantum space art exhibition available in several places before attaching the second telescope to the James Webb Space telescope and blasting that off into space too. Whatever your view on the art, it's hard not to admire Strebe's powers of persuasion in co-opting the European Space Agency, NASA and MIT into his project.​

In case that gobbledygook didn't make sense, here is a clearer explanation that shows NASA and the ESA got played. And you might want to check out the Library of Babel too.

More power to Cruz, I hope he cuts NASA to the bone. Space exploration should be in the private sector.

12. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Always interesting to see the conservative case for running a government agency is basically about shutting it down.

I can't think of a job that would willingly hire a candidate with the same aims.

"Yes, I would love to work for Apple because I think it spends too money on R&D and should be shut down to give money back to the investors."

"We'll call you."

13. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

But in the private sector, it's done all the time when a Chapter 7 trustee liquidates the assets of a bankrupt organization.

The US Government has been bankrupt for a long time, we need to trim the parts (NASA, for example) that aren't economically viable.

14. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

This analogy has all the substance of tissue paper, the federal government is not a bankrupt company.

15. steve knight thread starter Suspended

steve knight

It is taking a tiny amount out of the budget while leaving the huge money eaters alone. Like cutting welfare while giving far more to the rich

16. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

That is their objective. I don't know why this surprises anyone.

17. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

The public debt is more than $18 trillion dollars. That's not solvent.

So we stop adding to the debt by getting rid of white elephant government agencies.

----------

Gotta start somewhere. What a shame the Democrats didn't address all those fairness issues when they were in charge.

18. TimelessOne macrumors regular

I find it funny that conservatives scream about cutting the cost with out understanding things.
    I always view the government can take the lead on projects that are not economically viable at the time for long term as their first and only intersted is to the people and long term good for them.

Examples of projects that we today take the benefits from that were not economical at the time. This thing call the internet. The build out, design and how it works was done by tax payers. It was not for another 20-30 years before we really saw the benefit from it in terms of economics.
    Another one this one thanks to NASA is massive advances in computers. There was massive progress made in computers in shinking the size and power of requirements and in turn massive drops in the cost. Hell even the first computers completely government back and funded.

People for get about that.

An item that is forth coming that governments are going to have to fund as it will NEVER be economical for a private company is antibiotic research. Companies have been pulling out of it for a long time now as there is no long term money in a new antibiotic. Big time when you look at the R&D cost, it is not a maintenance drug like say blood pressure or anti depressant drug which have long term use. No it is going to be something that is given once and done and on top of that it will avoided being used as they do not want stuff to be come resistant to it. Last thing we want to do is be in a post antibiotic world. But explain this to a conservative they just ignore it and become he more harden in their position. Damn the facts. These are examples.
    Other ones that would be good to push, renewalble and alternative energy research. They will not be economical for a long time at current tech. But long term we need them and need to bring down the price which means we need to do the R&D now for 30 years for now.

19. steve knight thread starter Suspended

steve knight

They tried but the GOP kept giving tax breaks to corporations and adding to the debt.

20. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

I call BS. When did the Democrats during their time in charge, with President Obama at the helm, try what you just claimed? Please provide sources.

21. steve knight thread starter Suspended

steve knight

I can't do it till I get to work but the GOP passed I think it was 615 billion in tax breaks last year all in the news and it added 615 billion to the deficit

22. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Excuse me, but the point was that the Democrats were in charge and should have addressed the unfairness issues you described earlier. Why didn't they?

23. steve knight thread starter Suspended

steve knight

Because the GOP hide or force things or trade for them.

24. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Again, I'm asking for sources to back up that claim.