Ted Cruz drops bombshell: Senate Democrats to ‘repeal the First Amendment’ this year

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
everyone get your guns time to overthrow the goverment
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/05/23/ted-cruz-drops-bombshell-senate-democrats-to-repeal-the-first-amendment-this-year/
Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) drew audible gasps Thursday when he told gathering of Christian conservatives that Democrats intended to amend the Constitution to limit free speech.

“When you think it can’t get any worse, it does,” Cruz warned at the Watchmen on the Wall gathering of pastors sponsored by the Family Research Council.

“This year, I’m sorry to tell you, the United States Senate is going to be voting on a constitutional amendment to repeal the First Amendment,” Cruz said, to the audible shock of the crowd.

The Tea Party-backed senator said Senate Democrats intend to vote this year on Senate Joint Resolution 19, which would effectively undo the unpopular U.S. Supreme Court decisions on campaign financing in the Citizens United and McCutcheon cases.

“I am telling you, I am not making this up,” Cruz said. “Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-NY) has announced the Senate Democrats are scheduling a vote on a constitutional amendment to give Congress the authority to regulate political speech, because elected officials have decided they don’t like it when the citizenry has the temerity to criticize what they’ve done.”

Last edited by a moderator:

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
“I am telling you, I am not making this up,” Cruz said. “Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-NY) has announced the Senate Democrats are scheduling a vote on a constitutional amendment to give Congress the authority to regulate political speech, because elected officials have decided they don’t like it when the citizenry has the temerity to criticize what they’ve done.”

More likely it will be stuffed into a bill for food stamps and if anyone votes against it they will be called racists...

Sydde

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
... and people actually want him for president?
Only the ones who showed up to march in Operation American Spring.

But, really, inflammatory BS rhetoric like this is exactly the argument for enacting practical limits on speech. Why should we tolerate lies that incite visceral responses? Free speech is wonderful, but people also need to be held to account for deliberately misleading statements.

jnpy!$4g3cwk

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
“This year, I’m sorry to tell you, the United States Senate is going to be voting on a constitutional amendment to repeal the First Amendment,” Cruz said, to the audible shock of the crowd.
You sound so unsympathetic. Try to look at it from poor Ted Cruz's point of view -- anything that restricts the political activities of our large corporations is limiting the freedom of our most important persons.

You probably mistakenly thought that this was a perfect example of a Große Lüge, a concept introduced by none other than He Who Shall Not Be Named:

about the use of a lie so "colossal" that no one would believe that someone "could have the impudence to distort the truth so infamously."
;)

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
i'll bite, HOW has he cost the tax payers a lot of money?
well I think the whole government shutdown he fought tooth and nail for and cost the tax payers 24 billion dollars.
Texas Sen. Ted Cruz told conservative activists in a speech Thursday that his vigorous attempts to derail Obamacare — including leading the effort to shut down the government — were being vindicated in the wake of the health reform plan’s botched roll-out. He also offered encouragement to a group that faced fierce criticism following the shooting death of Trayvon Martin.
“Boy, it’s amazing how things can change in a few weeks in Congress,” Cruz, a potential 2016 Republican presidential hopeful, said at a summit hosted by the conservative American Legislative Exchange Council. “Just a few weeks ago, people in Washington were saying, ‘Why on earth are you fighting so hard against Obamacare?’ Now, nobody’s saying that. Over and over again you run into people who say, ‘Now I understand what this is all about.’”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2013/12/ted-cruz-government-shutdown-100740.html#ixzz32bUQw5Uk

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68020
Feb 14, 2004
OBJECTIVE reality
Crazy public officials like Cruz, spouting off any damn fool idea that comes into their heads, would probably fit right in in countries like Uganda or Myanmar. That this man is actually in the United States government is an embarrassment. God help us if he ever truly has presidential aspirations. It'd be like having Glenn Beck in the White House.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
I watched the video. Audience reaction seemed lukewarm to nonexistent. Seemed like even they knew they were being had.

Sad little man.

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
That this man is actually in the United States government is an embarrassment.
It really is pretty amazing when you think about it. We are supposedly the most advanced and best country in the history of the world, yet the people running our government are largely complete buffoons, if not outright in need of psychiatric care. Strange.

tgara

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
Connecticut, USA
I think Cruz's statement was a lot of hyperbole, but he was right about Schumer wanting to place additional restrictions on First Amendment rights, particularly political donations coming from corporations following the Citizen's United case.

Here's Schumer saying so himself:

http://youtu.be/HeFBGaKJk7o

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
I think Cruz's statement was a lot of hyperbole, but he was right about Schumer wanting to place additional restrictions on First Amendment rights, particularly political donations coming from corporations following the Citizen's United case.

Here's Schumer saying so himself:

http://youtu.be/HeFBGaKJk7o
Political donations have nothing to do with First Amendment rights. There's nothing in that amendment giving corporations the right to buy government.

quagmire

macrumors 603
Apr 19, 2004
Political donations have nothing to do with First Amendment rights. There's nothing in that amendment giving corporations the right to buy government.
They sadly do now with the Supreme Court ruling....

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009

The GOP is a corporate party they are bought and fully sold.