Ted Cruz is the first clown out of the car

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yg17, Mar 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

2. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

He won't get passed the primaries. If he does then it's the final nail in the GOP coffin, because he has zero chance at a national election. Can you imagine the international laughing stock we would become with President Cruz? Makes me cringe even typing that.

3. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

But he's just arrogant enough to run as an independent if he doesn't win the primary.

4. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

It really grinds my gears to see the "independent" label slowly but surely being redefined to mostly describe people who are farther to the right than the GOP.

5. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

He doesn't stand a chance. He's wasting his time and money.

It's not his politics either. He's just not likable.

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

**** YEAH! - Said every comedian

Finally, someone who can repeal "every word of Common Core.".

Has anyone told this ignorant schmuck that CC isn't a federal law and was developed by the states — with input from teachers, education experts and business leaders — and has been voluntarily adopted by 43 states and the District Of Columbia. Notably, “the federal government played no role in creating the standards, nor did it require that states adopt them.”

7. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

I look forward to hearing my conservative friends defend the idiotic things that come out of his mouth in the upcoming year. "Yeah, well, at least he uses his government email address, look at Hilary with her home brew server and Benghazi!"

8. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

9. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

He will be the male version of Palin.

[​IMG]

10. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I wouldn't be so quick to write Cruz off.

And comparisons with Sarah Palin simply don't hold up. Repugnant as many of his opinions and actions might be, his intellects were enough to get him through Princeton and Harvard Law, where he edited the law review and graduated Magna Cum Laude. You can't fake your way through that.

Will he be able to put together an effective campaign? Thats a different matter altogether. He certainly seems to be somewhat lacking in the sort of coalition-building political instincts that propelled Barack Obama (another Harvard Law Review editor) to the White House. Maybe Obama's time as a Community Organizer wasn't all wasted after all - a concept totally lost on most Conservatives in this country.

11. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I agree. He doesn't present a good package. Unless he undergoes a personality transformation, I don't think he has the charisma to draw people.

12. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

13. gibbz macrumors 68030

I imagine that the GOP establishment secretly hates this. This is setting up as we all expect. In one scenario, Cruz wins the primary, and thus gives the GOP zero chance in the national election due to his extreme positions. In the other scenario (more likely in my view), Cruz forces more moderate candidates to pander to extremist primary voters. Their words will come back to haunt them in a national election, much like happened to Romney and McCain.

14. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I mostly agree with what you say but for starters, most candidates have stuff like the Ivy League under their resume. Heck, GWB had his Yale degree (with coveted Skull and Bones membership) and THE business school (Harvard Graduate Business School) and became first MBA president, but few thought he had any outstanding intellect. Bush pretty much had the best educational resume you can have for business and/or politics. We are a nation of merchants where economy is issue #1 and what better to have an MBA from Harvard? Mitt Romney had both the impossible to get into Harvard b-school and law school but he lost the election.

Cruz can win it all but he will have to organize the right wing factions (born again Christians as opposed to right wing libertarians who want legalization of drugs) and then capture the middle of the GOP. Christians won't like anarchists and libertarians won't like the Bible Belt beliefs. The middle of the GOP will have recognizable people like Christie and Bush and that won't be a walk in the park. Yeah, Bush may ride in on name and Christie is a lying bully, but that doesn't affect their ability to capture independents. Cruz has no cred with independents in the middle.

The democrats would also have to self-destruct and we would have to have a major downturn in the economic recovery in order to give Cruz a chance. While George HW Bush enjoyed a 90% percent approval rating shortly before the election (a year?), the economy took a downturn quickly and that made every voter remember any downturns under 12 years of republican leadership and that gave Clinton the in for the White House.

Cruz will probably not go all the way, and if Christie and Bush announce, then Ted won't even get the GOP nomination.

I still would not write off Cruz and he still stands a better chance than someone like Rand Paul or Sarah Palin.

15. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

He's the Abraham Lincoln of Sarah Palin.

16. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I so don't agree with Cruz, but as nutty as his positions are, he does have charisma.

And I hate to say it, but as stupid and inexperienced as Sarah Palin was in 2008, she had far more charisma than the leading member of the GOP in the dour and short tempered John McCain.

Cruz may only have his charisma to go on. He doesn't have the Bush name nor the track record and bipartisan popularity of Chris Christie. Even Rand Paul has a name and "some" Ron Paul followers may go with Rand without knowing a thing even though the two Pauls are extremely different in their views. Ron was the truer libertarian and Rand is the more common flip flop establishment republican never really saying whether he's into liberty/liberal social ideals (gay marriage, drugs, freedom of religion) or not.

17. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

I'm gonna start the first Cruz birther facebook page. Despite how factually inaccurate it will be.

18. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Nor do I.

A strong personality, message and public speaking savvy can win elections even with a weak resume. Barack Obama is a good example. I lean somewhat center right, and take issue with Obama on many issues, but he is very likable, and has a personality that is warm and approachable.

Ted Cruz just kinda comes off as an annoying punk. he wont play well outside of the reddest of red states. Contrast that with Reagan, who was the last president to really have a 50 state friendly personality

19. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

The more people running the better.

I just wish we had more democrats seriously talking about running so that Hillary didn't have the nomination just handed to her.

20. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

21. Robisan macrumors 6502

[​IMG]

The Ted Cruz logo: An upside-down (distress signal!), burning American flag teardrop, because pride, patriotism and optimism.

Why does Ted Cruz hate America?

22. vrDrew macrumors 65816

This is (slightly) off-topic, but can anyone explain this to me:

Why is Jeb Bush a serious contender for the Republican nomination in 2016?

Don't get me wrong. I understand the fact that a) he is not an absolutely hateful human being; and b) he was a reasonably competent Governor of a populous southern State. All true. A dreadfully low standard to beat, all the same.

But the reality is he would be the third member of the same family to be President. Within my (relatively short) adult lifetime.

What is freakin' wrong with you people? This is America we are talking about. We are a democracy. The land where all men are created equal. The country of Abraham Lincoln; and Horatio Alger.

What is with this bizarre wish to create political dynasties? Don't you people understand how wrong, wrong, wrong they are?

(On the same note, I'm not that thrilled with Hillary Clinton's candidacy either. But she, at least, is only a Clinton by marriage. Chelsea Clinton - again, by all reports nice enough personally - would have to pretty much perform miracles to earn my vote.)

This is a country of more than 300 million people. I really think we can do better than keep recycling the same clan of fourth-generation millionaires.

23. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

please, no more Clintons/Bush's into office.

24. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Going on record...

I don't like this dudes face.

[​IMG]

25. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Well it's certainly going to take some effort to carve that into Mt. Rushmore.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.