Ted Cruz Monkey Toon

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by citizenzen, Dec 23, 2015.

1. citizenzen macrumors 65816

The Washington Post had an editorial cartoon depicting Ted Cruz as an organ-grinder and his two daughters as dancing monkeys ...

wapo-ted-cruz-cartoon.png

Rightly this has caused a backlash against the newspaper, which quickly took down the cartoon.

As someone who has done political cartoons (and once helped get an editor fired) I was struck by this quote ...
    I'm unclear what policy he's referring to, but there has been an age old policy of editors ACTUALLY LOOKING AT THE CONTENT OF WHAT THEY PUT IN THEIR PUBLICATIONS! It would be stunning to me to believe they simply allow their cartoonist to put in anything they want without the editor's approval. So the lack of oversight in one of the country's leading newspapers amazes me.

Additionally, it brings up a number of other issues ...

The children of politicians have generally been seen as being "off limits" when it comes to political commentary. I don't know how Cruz uses his children in his campaign, but unless he does something beyond showing them off now and then I can't see how they are any different and deserving of being lampooned in a cartoon.

Depicting human beings as monkeys has long been frowned upon. Had Cruz been black, this cartoon would be completely beyond the pale. I'm again amazed and wondering how a cartoonist today could think that this was in any way appropriate.

And really ... an organ grinder? Let's reach for the stalest cliché we can find. What's next? Someone stranded on a desert island?

Overall a very bad look for the Washington Post.

2. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

Appalling, and this is coming from an Obama supporter. Under no circumstances should any of our candidates' children be targeted, lampooned or otherwise exploited in any way. This will boost him and rightfully so, they screwed up here.

3. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Horrible job by the Washington Post, most especially the editor.

Kids should definitely be off limits, and the everybody at WaPo should have known better.

4. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

This is hilarious.

Cruz has already exploited his kids in his ads to try to gain votes. Now he's crying because a newspaper made fun of him for it? He probably wouldn't last a week in the shoes of Obama before having a mental breakdown and ending up in a padded room.

5. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

Fair point, he's now "raising $1 million" off of this. That is not without irony.

6. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

I haven't been keeping track of Cruz and his campaign, but is he doing anything different than the usual politician who trots out their adorable children to demonstrate what a great family man (or woman) they are?

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I'm so upset that my kids were exploited, after I used them in a campaign ad, that I'm going to use my kids to raise $1 million.

Kids should be off limits. THat goes for the media and the candidates.

8. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

No idea and I couldn't care less. If he doesn't want the media to talk about his kids, keep them out of his ads. The second he puts his kids in his ads he makes them apart of his campaign and makes them fair game for stuff like this.

9. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

I think that depends entirely how they're used in the ads. If they're just used a props to demonstrate how he's a family man, then that's a time-honored way to use one's children in a campaign.

But if the kid turns turns to the camera and says, "Vote for my daddy. He'll protect kids like me from the Muslim scourge," then I'd probably agree with you.

10. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

Yeah, I'm of the opinion that even if they're used in ads they should still be off limits. You never see the children attacking another candidate, they're just there to show family unity, etc. All candidates do it.

11. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Fair game then huh? How much you wanna bet if anyone went after his kids they'd be branded a racist? You couldn't criticize him or his policies for 6yrs without the race card being immediately thrown in your face.

[​IMG]

12. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

Those girls have been viciously attacked since day one, even taking race out of it there's so much hate hurled at them. Let's try not to pretend it doesn't happen just because you're on your high horse right now.

13. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Viciously attacked how? By the Post? The Times? Pretty sure there was an uproar and one lady lost her job for even commenting on they way they were dressed and their facial expressions at some turkey pardoning a few years back.

14. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Not my kids, not my problem. If any candidate uses their kids to advance their campaign, they're no longer off limits.

15. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

I know, they can all go to hell because it doesn't impact you directly. A true internet crusader!

16. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

The sooner people start to realize this and live their lives in this way, the happier they will be.

17. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

18. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

And the time noted bird cage liner, breitbart.com, posted where the Obama girls were vacationing and Steve King attacked them for vacationing.

Worse than pimping his kids was using his ignorant, racist father in the ad.

19. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

His mother was scary enough.

The idea of her lifting me up in prayer for hours at a time left me with a cold shiver down my back.

20. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

This cartoon isn't attacking the kids at all. It's attacking his use of them, something that could be done probably for a lot of politicians.

21. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

It's not even a good cartoon. It's not witty, not funny, and doesn't make a point of any kind. But Cruz is a Republican so it's all good.

22. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

The controversy it's generated and the number of liberals here who've been critical of it should be a clear sign that it's not "all good".

23. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

You and I know that a Pulitzer Prize-winning editorial cartoonist would never draw a cartoon portraying Obama's, Clinton's or any other Democrat's children as monkeys. I recall the controversy when The New Yorker cover portrayed (ironically) Barack and Michelle as radicals. What we would hear if they portrayed Mr. and Mrs. Cruz wearing (say) jackboots and other vaguely fascist garb? Crickets, no doubt.

That said, politicians kids are fair game for well-done satirical roasting. I already noted the real outrage: it's an unclever, witless assault by an otherwise very talented cartoonist.

24. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

So the outage and controversy over what was done isn't enough for you. You also want to feel outraged over something that didn't happen ... something that only exists in your imagination.