Ted Cruz potential Republican Presidential candidate for 2016

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by PracticalMac, May 30, 2013.

1. PracticalMac, May 30, 2013
    Last edited: May 30, 2013

PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

There is serious talk in conservative circles about Ted Cruz running for the 2016 POTUS race.

Anyone see a problem with this? (hint: read bio)

(forgot to add this article link)

2. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I wonder if he carries around a copy of his Canadian birth certificate.

3. TedM macrumors 6502

lol

4. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

But he's the child of two Americans he's fine.

5. vrDrew macrumors 65816

His father was not a US citizen at the time he was born. (Cruz' father only became a naturalized citizen in 2005)

That said, the fact that his mother was a natural born US citizen automatically bestows citizenship (and hence eligibility for the Presidency) on Ted Cruz, regardless of where he himself was born or who his father may have been.

If Sen. Cruz runs for President in 2016, I confidently predict there will not be a significant number of liberal/Democratic "birthers" wasting everyone's time with absurd demands and idiotic conspiracy theories. Thats the difference between us and the people who currently make up the Republican Party. If we choose to protest or object to his candidacy, it will be on the basis of his acts as a legislator and his platform as a candidate.

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Ted Cruz is nothing more than a well spoken Sarah Palin. No way they'd ever nominate him.

And as I've read, since his parents are both US citizens, so is he and therefore eligible to run.

7. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

If he runs he better burn his birth certificate and try to claim roots in Hawaii. That's the only way he could ever be president without an amendment.

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Donald Trump and Joe Arpaio will have to send their posse to Alberta to find his real birth certificate.

9. iMikeT macrumors 68020

I don't know or care if he even gets the RNC nomination. If he does get it, I think it's because of his Spanish sounding last name. This would be an effort to appeal to the voters that Republicans lost last election, Latinos.

10. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

They may think they're serious. But this is Ted Cruz we're talkin' about here.

11. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I would actually say the opposite. By birthright, via his mother, he would be considered a citizen of the USA, but not a natural born citizen, as defined in Article II, Section 1.5 of the Constitution. United States v. Wong Kim Ark doesn't really apply in this case either, as it stated that US Citizenship is granted to all children born on US soil, even those of foreigners in the country at the time. As Cruz was born in Calgary, Ark is irrelevant.

I agree.. But I wouldn't put it past the Blues to point out the hypocrisy of the Reds supporting his supposed POTUS run. If they cried foul over Obama possibly not being born in the US or being a natural born citizen, they certainly could not say it is okay for Cruz who definitely was not born on US soil.

I would almost invite the Reds to attempt to put this guy on the ticket; it would point out how low they have sank to cry foul about the law until they try to work it to their favour.

BL.

12. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Remember that he will have to go through a primary before even receiving the nomination. So it is quite possible that his fellow Republicans will use where he was born against him.

13. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I can relate to most of those, but the bolded portion remains my favorite.

14. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Guess Conservatives cant complain about Obama birthright now.

15. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Almost 2 years ago, how the events has worked out.

If the simple fact he had an American mother is enough, why the hell did the Republicans spend all that effort on Obama? (I suspect racism).

On the flip side there is almost no birther debate from either side about Cruz birth place. Even Trump is somewhat quite on it. Again, I suspect racism, Cruz is white enough.

16. Meister Suspended

Meister

Racism!!
    It's all racism!!

17. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

If you know another reason why alleged foreign birth of Obama caused so much debate, and Cruz with acknowledged foreign birth barely a mention, do tell!

18. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

There are still plenty of people who believe that Cruz is not a natural born citizen and therefor not eligible to run, however since the charge did not stick to Obama, whose 18 year old mother did not live in the US for 5 years after her 16th birthday before having a child, it's unlikely the charges will stick to Cruz.

19. Robisan macrumors 6502

Didn't realize this was a criteria for losing birthright citizenship. Someone should tell the State Department since they issue U.S. Passports with 10 year life spans.

20. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Suspect?!?! In the 2012 election, President Obama was considered roughly in the upper right quadrant of the upper right quadrant of the political compass, not far from Romney, and left/liberal only by comparison to Ted Cruz.

[​IMG]

http://www.politicalcompass.org/uselection2012

Now, don't get me wrong -- I much prefer President Obama to Romney. But, it is really difficult to think of a political spectrum reason why right-wing Republicans hated Obama so much.

Here is the 2016 lineup. Romney is a "liberal" in comparison to the Trump and Cruz:

[​IMG]

21. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Natural born citizens have a definition, and you must be a natural born citizen to be president.

Just bring a citizen is not good enough.

22. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

There is an exhaustive survey of this question in a Wikipedia article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural-born-citizen_clause

Of recent and current candidates, the only one who is questionable is actually Ted Cruz. Many, but not all, legal authorities consider Cruz eligible.

23. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

I'm actually of the opinion that Cruz is not eligible to run. Of course I still believe Obama wasn't as well, but no one really seemed to care anyway. They won't stop Cruz either.

24. Robisan macrumors 6502

You missed the point entirely.

You made the insinuation that because Obama's mother was out of the country for 5 years that somehow her American citizenship was no longer valid or was otherwise diminished or defective in some way.

My response is simply to say that your insinuation about Obama's mother is nonsense because she was born an American citizen, which makes her a U.S. citizen for her entire life. Furthermore, since the U.S. Govt. issues passports that are good for 10 years it's ludicrous to suggest that being out of the country for 5 years makes her citizenship diminished, defective or changed in any way.

25. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

So you're saying you believe there was a massive conspiracy to fake Obama's birth certificate at his birth just so he could run for president decades later?