Spoilers "Ted Lasso" Discussion Thread (May Contain Spoilers)

pmiles

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2013
I like the show although I wouldn't categorize it as a comedy. There is plenty of drama going on... it's a play on Major League in idea but quickly diverges from that theme. Ignore what Apple calls it and just judge for yourself. You'll either like it or hate it.

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
Ted Lasso is a show that shouldn't work. But somehow does.

It exists in a tricky place, at the nexus of 21st century British and American culture and sensibilities, sports, business, humour, and society. The British class system, with it's onion-like layering of accents, and schools, and money, and races and regions is something that Ted cheerfully ignores. To his ultimate credit. Likewise the vicious, brutal British tabloid press - a beast that has brought countless predecessors to grief.

Ted isn't perfect, and neither is the show. But somehow, against all the odds, it leaves me with a smile on my face.

Reactions: Namara

DavoteK

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2012
The original skit with the character years prior to this show, was a bit eye-roll inducing, so expectations were very low for this.

But, I've loved it. Very charming show, some good characters, a little of bit of cheese and some little arcs here and there, plus an appearance by Cam Cole who I'm a big fan of.

One of those shows where I wish the entire season was out so I could watch it all in one sitting.

Reactions: vrDrew

Martinpa

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2014
I like the show although I wouldn't categorize it as a comedy. There is plenty of drama going on... it's a play on Major League in idea but quickly diverges from that theme. Ignore what Apple calls it and just judge for yourself. You'll either like it or hate it.
Unfortunately, anything that isn't an all-out Drama is considered Comedy (look at Golden Globes nominations the last few years, and it's clear the Comedy category is pretty much a catch-all categories).

Somewhat related, I wish the TV and Music app allowed to put more than one genre to any given piece of media... an Action film can also be a Comedy or a Sci-Fi/Fantasy can also be a Drama, and I'd like to stop the proliferation of Music genres in my library (do I need Pop/Indie AND Indie Pop? Rock/Alt Rock/Indie Rock/ Indie /Alternative?...)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.