Ted Stevens Guilty on 7 Counts

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Oct 27, 2008.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

MSNBC is reporting that Ted Stevens has been found guilty on all 7 counts in his corruption trial.

CNN has a breaking news ticker up.

2. iGary Guest

iGary

3. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Cool.

Let's hope that Alaskan voters kick him out of office. His time is definitely up.

4. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/27/stevens.jurors/index.html

5. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

Jesus! This guy is the longest serving Republican in the Senate... he's been there since December 24, 1968. I guess he'll be cancelling that 40th anniversary cake. :D

6. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Oh my god I am so happy!!!!

Let's just say that some of his pork is the bane of my existence.

7. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Now to ditch that other politician from Alaska.

8. Queso macrumors G4

So is this likely to give the Dems that magic 60th seat or was this one already counted?

9. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Why was Sarah Palin palling around with convicted felons?

10. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I think this one was considered a toss-up--hopefully until now.

11. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I believe Ted Stevens can't run now. He's a convicted felon.

12. halfprep455 macrumors regular

halfprep455

I think its certain that his opponent Mark Beigh winn win now. I don't think Ted Stevens is too concerned about his trial. I think he might be wondering what his prison sentence will look like.

13. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    stevens' testimony was laughable...such a crotchety old sod with an unlimited sense of entitlement.

my fav:

When prosecutor Brenda Morris asked Stevens about the chair, which was delivered to his home in 2001, he said it was a loan from a friend, while acknowledging that it remains in his home.

“How is that not a gift?” Morris asked.

“We have lots of things in our house that don’t belong to us, ma’am,” Stevens replied, such as items owned by his daughter and friends of his wife.

Stevens, according to the NYT, said a friend, Bob Persons, “bought the chair as a gift but I refused it as a gift.”

“So, if you say it’s not a gift, it’s not a gift?” Morris asked. She then reportedly confronted Stevens with a note he wrote to Persons thanking him for the chair, saying how much he loved using the chair and even sometimes fell asleep in it.

seriously...

14. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

No, AFAIK, he can still run. Convicted felons are allowed to run for public office, but they can't vote. Go figure that one out :rolleyes:

I think if you're not eligible to vote for yourself, you shouldn't be allowed to run.

15. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    there is no law barring a convicted felon from holding office in congress.

talk about job security...

16. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

According to AP:

* Oookayyy. Can't actually vote in some states but can run for office. You couldn't make it up.

17. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I don't know about before, but the Dems' chances of gaining 60 seats in the Senate just got better.

Explains a lot, doesn't it?

+1

18. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

Ex felons can't vote in some states. Current felons are disenfranchised in ALL states. The US is the only democratic, developed country where felons can't vote... and probably the only one where current felons can run for office.

19. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

If the Dems don't get to 60, we'll have more of the same crap we had the past 2 years. Republicans filibustered 104 times in the current session of Congress and derailed much of what the Dems wanted to do. Given the nastiness of the campaign, I don't see that changing.

20. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

Heheh...

Palin told Stevens to "do what’s right for the people of Alaska" (which is code for resign-now-you-old-fart), but Stevens vows to remain a candidate. Yay, more GOP infighting and controversy!

21. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Isn't that more specifically code for "resign now you old fart, so I can run in the special election and get more time in the national spotlight"?

22. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

At this point, I don't think anyone would be surprised.

23. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

That guy is a crook. I sure hope voters will get rid of him next week. As far as the 60 seat majority goes I think MN would have to vote in Franken over Colman. That is a 3 way race right now. Franken is ahead, but not by more then a couple of points and the third party candidate has pretty significant poll numbers right around 18% or so.

I am not so sure that Franken will win this. He could, however many times in MN a strong third party candidate can hurt the DFL candidate more then the Republican.

24. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

25. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

Dream scenario: Stevens refuses to step down, because he's a mavericky Alaskan maverick like that. Tells McCain "I've been a senator for 40 years. Who the hell are you?". McCain (and his conveniently Alaskan running mate) will look weak, with no control over their own party.

Just in time for the uncovering of details of a fatal car crash McCain may have been involved in...

See, McCain... this is what happens when you sell your soul to the devil.