Ted Stevens Killed in Plane crash

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by macfan881, Aug 10, 2010.

1. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

2. TheShinyMac macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Former senator from Alaska, was famous for describing the internet as "a series of tubes"

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Very sad. Condolences to his family and friends, as well as the family and friends of the others who died. :(

5. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Also famous for the Bridge to Nowhere.

Can't say that I agree w/his politics but RIP and condolences to everyone impacted by this.

Lethal

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

7. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

What does this mean?

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

That was pretty distasteful:cool:

9. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

It was distasteful, and hopefully will raise awareness of the times Republicans have pointed the finger at the victim when something befalls them.

10. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Oh.

Ok.

11. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Come again?

Regardless, your attempt to stereotype Republicans with a broad brush leaves much to desire

12. Surely Guest

Surely

This is a strange/weird part of the story: he survived a plane crash in 1978 in which his wife died. He was quoted as saying that he felt guilty for surviving it.

Now he dies in a plane crash. What are the odds......

13. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I'd love to, but I'm kind of tired. Raincheck?

Maybe some of them shouldn't stereotype gays, liberals, women, blacks, hispanics, Jews, Muslims, etc... with such broad brushes.

Turn about is fairplay, isn't it?

14. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Perhaps it's time to go outside for a walk?

15. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

If you say so
    Right, some of them do. Most of them don't. Also don't delude yourself into thinking that this type of stereotyping is limited to just Republicans either....

However, I think it is best if we realize that attempting to stereotype in that manner is poor form so why engage in that behavior is my question to you.

16. Surely Guest

Surely

Solid advice. At the least a walk..... perhaps a jog?

17. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Now this thread has two sad stories.

18. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I know most Republicans don't do that sort of thing. I also know that stereotyping is not limited to just republicans.

The only reason I engaged in it was to point out that that it is bad form. When Ted Kennedy died, does anyone remember the stuff that was said? How about Strom Thurmond? Byrd? It happens constantly. Yes, both sides. It's bad, both ways.

So, if we all know its bad, and yet it happens anyway... maybe we all need a reminder.

19. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Not to encourage this sort of thing, but what's the worst that will happen? You'll get a Sternly Worded Post from the opposition, and a bunch of time will be wasted discussing the side issue instead of the original issue.

20. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    No one else think it was really freaky? His second plane crash in Alaska - first one his wife dies, he survives. This one he dies and his kid survives.

Reads like a Final Destination movie. What are the odds on 2 plane crashes?

21. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

With the little puddle jumper things they use up there so frequently, not too bad.

I don't trust single engine planes.

22. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Twin engine aircraft can be pretty dangerous as well with one engine inoperative.

With twin engine aircraft, you may lose only 50% of your power, but you lose 80-90% of your performance. Depending on the conditions, you might not be able to maintain altitude. In mountain flying, this can be very dangerous. If your ceiling is at 5000 ft with one engine and the mountains are at 8000 ft, that is very dangerous flying conditions right there. If you bank too far( especially if you bank into the inop engine), you might bring the aircraft below minimal control speed and lose control. While in theory, twin engine aircraft are safer due to having one engine still operating if one fails, you would probably be more safe in a single engine aircraft as it doesn't take as much skill to control as it does with twin engine aircraft when you have an engine failure.

23. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Let's not do this. I know what you're trying to say and I know, conservative icons like Pat Robertson do this every time there's a disaster—on Haiti, Robertson linked the Haitian earthquake to a ceremony held by the revolutionaries that some believe included devil worship: "Something happened a long time ago in Haiti, and people might not want to talk about it...They were under the heel of the French . . . and they got together and swore a pact to the devil. They said, 'We will serve you if you'll get us free from the French.' ...True story. And the devil said, 'OK, it's a deal.' Ever since, they have been cursed by one thing after another."

But, let's not do this.

Slate has a succinct explanation why there are a high number of plane crashes in Alaska:

24. Surely Guest

Surely

Or like a LOST storyline.....