Teen girl: silver or gold aluminum AW4?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by canyonblue737, Apr 17, 2019.

1. canyonblue737 macrumors 65816

My daughter is graduating 8th grade and off to high school so 14 years old. She will be allowed to wear a smartwatch / AW in high school and we plan on getting her an AW4 as a graduation present. I know she wouldn't like the Space Gray but my wife and I are torn on silver vs gold aluminum. She wears both silver and gold jewelery (although rarely) and we both feel the gold perhaps looks nicer but has less options for bands, and we both could see her collecting a bunch of the knockoff bands.

Thoughts?

2. Disneymom2003 macrumors member

Disneymom2003

I went with the silver because that is what I mostly wear. You can definitely dress up silver. More band options too

3. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I can’t speak from a female perspective, but I just think silver pairs so much easier with bands versus the gold. There are a lot more neutral and extreme colors that the silver aluminum would just highlight more.

4. velocityg4 macrumors 601

velocityg4

It all depends upon personal tastes. Does she go for silver or gold jewelry?

5. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

IMO it also depends on skin tone, a bit. Tanned or darker skin tones look great with gold, whereas lighter tones look best with silver (IMO, obviously) ...

6. Shirasaki macrumors G3

Shirasaki

Silver feels less intrusive compared to gold. And I would say she will like a silver Apple Watch as much as a gold one.
    Maybe bring her to Apple store so that she may have a look at those two colors?
    Oh, off the topic, but you may also consider buying cellular model. Dual sim iPhone may work great in this scenario.

7. scmill macrumors regular

scmill

I would let her pick it out. Teens can be fickle.

8. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

Go with the silver. More neutral--

But, when did kids start getting "Graduation" presents for "Completing" 8th grade. :);)

9. kazmac macrumors 604

kazmac

That was the end of junior high for me and there was a small graduation ceremony. This was -uh- many years ago.

I do agree with silver though.

10. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

Ours ended at 9th, then to High School. No ceremonies though. Just another year closer to freedom--:) Late 50's early 60's.

11. Altis macrumors 68030

Silver is likely to be easier to live and pair with. But whichever color you get her, I'm sure she could exchange it if she feels strongly towards the other. :)

12. breezyf808 macrumors regular

I think it kinda depends on color skin also.
    Gold on my wife looks like it blends in and she has multiple color bands that I thought would otherwise not match but works well.
    Just my opinion

13. dantastic macrumors 6502a

dantastic

What colour jewellery does she wear? Gold or silver mostly? Especially bangles and rings?
    One isn't better than the other, I have a gold myself btw.
    Either let her pick herself or make an educated guess and leave it open to exchanging it in case she prefer the other one.

14. tarsins macrumors 6502a

tarsins

Wife regretted having a gold AW as it didn't go with a lot of stuff. She's much happier with her new silver one.

15. BSG75 macrumors regular

BSG75

This, definitely this!! Speaking as the father of a teenage daughter, these are words of wisdom!

For the discussion, my daughter is on her second Apple Watch, she had a silver Series 0 and when it was her turn to upgrade she picked Space Grey. I was really surprised at her decision, but she says she really liked the change.

16. mollyc macrumors 68000

I’m on my second gold watch, primarily because I like the pink band. My 13yo daughter has a silver watch.

17. DiveKitty, Apr 20, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2019

DiveKitty macrumors 6502

Someone said it depends on lightness or darkness of skin but I think undertones matter more, just as it does for jewelry or makeup.

I am a very pale natural redhead but have “warm undertones” and the gold looks much nicer on me as does gold in general. A cool silver looks cold. Someone with much darker skin than me or who is tanned may have cool undertones and look much better with silver.

I do mix and match gold, rose gold, and platinum jewelry a lot - as I type this I have a yellow gold wedding band and a platinum diamond ring on - but I went with what looked best on me “on its own” and caught my eye the most since I am wearing my watch almost all the time.

I think lots of band colours look surprisingly awesome with the gold; it really can shift from more pink to more a soft copper depending on what you pair it with band-wise. I personally love the combination of the gold with a black band (any material) most of all and would have gone with the gold AW just for that combo alone. I have a third party black sport loop that looks amazing as it has pinkish flecks in it. But I also wear it with whites/ivories, greens, various pinkish shades, browns, etc all in all sorts of materials. Blues - especially deeper purplish blues IMO - look amazing with the gold (like Indigo) and red is a bit more unusual choice for some I suppose but looks good especially if she has the cellular version with the red on the dial. The only colour bands I don’t really wear it with are...silver. Ha.

I think teenagers tend to be a little more expressive in colour anyway these days even if they don’t “match” (when I was a teenager - way before smart phone technology - only black would have been acceptable being my grunge and goth days).

She can always exchange it if she does not like the colour so really, you can just buy either and let her know she can switch it.

Lucky girl whatever colour; I know for sure my grade 9 graduation did not come with any gifts (except the gift of moving to grade 10 I guess!).

18. Farrellcollie macrumors 6502

I would let the recipient pick it out

19. canyonblue737 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks everyone so much. It really helped us decide which way to go. Obviously there is no one right answer but for us I think we are make a safe choice to go silver and let her have a fun range of choices in band. Her very pale skin will work with it a bit better too. Thanks again.

20. ex android dan macrumors member

Sweet! And remember, Apple has a great return policy but it only lasts 14 days. I’d give it to her within that timeframe so she can exchange it if she wants.

21. Apple fanboy macrumors Nehalem

Apple fanboy

Just tell her your wife is trying to choose between the two. Ask her opinion then surprise her with the gift.