Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple Watch demand among U.S. teens remains relatively low even as the device's launch approaches, according to Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster's latest semiannual teen survey, which asked approximately 6,200 teens in the United States about their device usage habits and future buying plans.

Only 11 percent of teenagers surveyed plan on purchasing an Apple Watch, down from 16 percent in the fall survey. Of those 11 percent, the top reason teens cited for wanting an Apple Watch was style, followed by design. Only five percent of teens currently own a smart watch.

teensurveyapplewatch.png
We believe the lower purchase intent reflects a wait and see approach to the Watch as it seems unclear what will be the "killer app" for the Watch. We expect teens to be a good market for the Apple Watch given the popularity of the iPhone, but believe it will take time for influencers (celebrities) to make the watch popular among teens.
Though teens don't yet seem to be interested in the Apple Watch, the iPhone and the iPad remain the most popular smartphone and tablet among teenagers. 66 percent of teenagers surveyed owned an iPhone, down slightly from 67 percent in the fall survey, while 64 percent owned an iPad, compared to 66 percent in fall of 2014.

teensurveyiphonespring2015-800x482.jpg
72 percent of teens expect their next smartphone purchase will be an iPhone, while 60 percent expect their next tablet to be an iPad. Comparatively, interest in smartphones and tablets from other companies remains low. 21 percent of teens expect their next smartphone purchase to be an Android, and 16 percent plan to buy an Android tablet. Interest in Windows tablets has grown slightly, however, and 20 percent of teens expect their next tablet purchase to be Windows-based.

Over the last couple of weeks, the Apple Watch has been popping up on the wrists of celebrities like Pharell Williams, Katy Perry, and Drake, as Apple attempts to boost its popularity ahead of the device's April 24 launch. Celebrity endorsements like these along with heavy marketing may lure teens towards the Apple Watch in the coming weeks.

The next teen survey will be published in October, and by that time, it's possible the Apple Watch numbers will shift dramatically if Apple's marketing tactics are successful.

Article Link: Teen Interest in Apple Watch Drops Ahead of Launch, iPhone Remains Popular

Donoban

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2013
How was the sample of 6000 selected?

This could all just be BS and a non-story.

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008
72 percent of teens expect their next smartphone purchase will be an iPhone

And then they asked their parents for money and got a bargain basement Android phone/tablet.

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
Maybe interest dropped after launch because they were told by their parents that they wouldn't buy them one. :rolleyes:

lyngo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
teenrumors.com?

I don't know. I guess I am not sure why this is the focus and why this is on the front page. I miss the page 2 that use to be here. Maybe this might be better suited for that?

In all honesty, though, I don't know many teens that really care about watches. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's my understanding.

omgitsbees

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2013
I don't think the Apple Watch will ever be popular among teens. Do teens even wear accessories? When I was growing up, I don't remember anyone in high school wearing a watch, but smartphones also didn't exist yet when I was in high school, so who knows. But even then, the iphone and the apple watch are very different devices. It's one thing to have your parents buy you a iphone, but I don't think any parents would buy their teen a $350+ watch. And very few teens are going to be able to afford an Apple Watch.

teknishn

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2006
One thing I will say is that having tried them on as an adult.... They are quite impressive and downright gorgeous once you see them in person. However, I couldn't help but think they would be on the big side for under developed teen wrists.... not to mention the #$%^& storm it will create with their teachers.

odds

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2014
Los Angeles
I don't think the Apple Watch will ever be popular among teens. Do teens even wear accessories? When I was growing up, I don't remember anyone in high school wearing a watch, but smartphones also didn't exist yet when I was in high school, so who knows. But even then, the iphone and the apple watch are very different devices. It's one thing to have your parents buy you a iphone, but I don't think any parents would buy their teen a $350+ watch. And very few teens are going to be able to afford an Apple Watch.

Maybe true for now, but that was also the scenario for smartphones and just look at how many teens have those now!

nookster

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2002
It's all true, and we made a survey to prove it!

If these surveys are anything like the soul destroying, tedious life wasters that I've experienced from Nielsen, Lightspeed, Research Now, etc. I wouldn't hold much stock in them, either positive or negative.

Whatever is at the tail end will just get straight-line responses from people who have mentally checked out due to the monotony of them.

NIKKG

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2012
The watch will probably sell well the firsts couple weeks as the Apple fanatics buy it up, but after that it'll die out like all the other smart watches. Many people just don't wear watches like they used to since the smartphones make them redundant.

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
For surveys like this I am more interested in reasons for them not wanting/getting the device, cost, design/size, battery life, no killer app etc etc.

I could also see parents saying no to a watch of that price which in some ways only duplicates functions of the watch, also some features aren't necessarily teen market friendly. ApplePay would have more appeal/use to very late teen early twenties than ealy/mid teens.

Of course, get one killer app/function for the watch and it will then be on all their must have lists.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom

I wear a watch every day (17), and have done since I was 5 or so. I still remember my trip to Argos to pick up my first Velcro-strapped Timex! I loved the way the whole face lit up and wore it everywhere.

I've been putting a little money aside every month for a couple of years now for the Apple Watch, and pleased to be able to order a 42mm Sport with launch window delivery. Very excited here.

Having said that, only my friends who really love technology are interested in the watch, and I still don't know of anyone else my age purchasing one. Others seem ambivalent and were shocked at the price, even for the entry level model.

Locoboof

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2008
Bay Area,Cali
If the apple watch was 99.99 and 199.99 it would be extremely popular,also more digestible for a parent to buy one for their teen. Now when you're 16 and a watch is 399.99 and you make 10.00 a hour,you're not really interested at all. Specially when you can get a iPhone 6 starting at 199.99 and it does a whole lot more.

Infinite Vortex

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2015
What does one expect when you release a product outside of most teenager's price range which is dependent on another product (a new model iPhone) that's also outside of most teenager's price range??

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Once the teens realize that the watch allows the to communicate in class without the teacher noticing, I'm pretty sure they are going to be all over it. You can't take your phone out in class, but your watch stays on your wrist all the time. The teacher won't be able to catch the quick glance at a communication. And the taps are completely undetectable even if the teacher is standing right next to you. Though I doubt kids will learn morse code to take full advantage of it.

MasterRyu2011

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2014
Once the teens realize that the watch allows the to communicate in class without the teacher noticing, I'm pretty sure they are going to be all over it. You can't take your phone out in class, but your watch stays on your wrist all the time. The teacher won't be able to catch the quick glance at a communication. And the taps are completely undetectable even if the teacher is standing right next to you. Though I doubt kids will learn morse code to take full advantage of it.

if the watch becomes really popular to the point teens are doing this, it'd be caught on by the educators real quick. It's not like the Apple Watch is not easy to notice.

mfvisuals

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2009
SacTown, CA
...I still don't know of anyone else my age purchasing one. Others seem ambivalent and were shocked at the price, even for the entry level model.

That's essentially how I expected the response to be from teens.

I think the biggest barrier to entry for teens is that they can't subsidize the cost of an Apple Watch like they can for an iPhone, so unless they're working and can buy it themselves, chances that they can afford one are very, very slim.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.