Teen Petitions Disney for Plus-Size Princess

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
Jewel Moore, a high school junior from Farmville, Va. who has decided to ask Disney to create princesses with more realistic measurements and looks. Specifically, she's started a petition on Change.org asking Disney to create a plus-size princess in an upcoming movie.
http://www.cosmopolitan.com/celebrity/news/plus-size-disney-princess

this should be interesting, I have no issues with over weight people, some of them run circles around me on a bike :eek:

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Can we make her brown and gay too? I loves watching me some right wing heads explode. :D

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween
Can we make her brown and gay too? I loves watching me some right wing heads explode. :D
I wonder how many 1 dimensional tropes we could get in.

An LGBT, Asian-African (throw in some Mexican too I guess, make her an absolute mutt), Communist, Outwardly Curvaceous, "Woman" that just wants to watch the world burn.

Last edited:

EvilQueen

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2013
In my own world
Of course you do...
but the fact that her body proportions are so ridiculous is just not healthy
Yea, neither is being fat.

It's a cartoon. The eyes on them are huge also...is that making people with eyes smaller than their wrists feel bad about themselves?

If you have to look to a cartoon to find self worth then there is something wrong....and it isn't Disney. It's a cartoon, not a role model. Parents are role models.

If the argument is that a skinny princess cartoon will make kids be unhealthy to get skinny, then the counter would be a fat princess will make kids want to be fat.

I want a gay, super hero with ADD and 3 toes on his left foot so I feel better about myself. :rolleyes:

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors 604
Oct 27, 2009
Will they include the cellulite and stretch marks? Will she have a double or triple chin? Since people want Barbies and Disney Princesses to be realistic, they should go all the way with it.

bradl

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2008
I wonder how he would respond if Prince Charming had the body size of Shrek?

;)
In Dreamworks' defense, they did have an ogre for a princess.

I don't see why Disney couldn't.

On a side note, their Disney Dream Portraits are absolutely stunning. Some of the people really fit the characters they portrayed, when you look at them. For example, Alec Baldwin does match, Queen Latifah makes Ursula look good, Taylor Swift is apropos, Scarlett Johansson is great, Phelps is a given.. well.. you get the picture (pun intended).

http://www.doctordisney.com/annie-leibovitzs-image-gallery-of-disney-dream-portraits-celebrities-as-disney-characters/

BL.

skottichan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
I would give anything for a lesbian knight and princess story.

I find it amusing that Dreamworks beat Disney to a plus-sized princess (Fiona's ogre mode).

bradl

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2008
Yea, neither is being fat.

It's a cartoon. The eyes on them are huge also...is that making people with eyes smaller than their wrists feel bad about themselves?

If you have to look to a cartoon to find self worth then there is something wrong....and it isn't Disney. It's a cartoon, not a role model. Parents are role models.
Anything.. ANYTHING that can generate a positive feeling of self worth or self-empowerment in a person, let alone a child is NEVER wrong. Any parent would love to have that encouragement for a child in addition to their teaching.

If the argument is that a skinny princess cartoon will make kids be unhealthy to get skinny, then the counter would be a fat princess will make kids want to be fat.
So in following your logic, the millions of kids out there who watch Thomas & Friends must want to be a train, right? Or those that watch Curious George want to be a monkey? Or perhaps those that watch Bo on the Go must be bad, because the main character in the show gets them to exercise, right?

My son said to me yesterday that he would love to be smart like Peg (from the show Peg + Cat). Peg + Cat teaches how math and counting can be fun. I'd welcome that ANYTIME.

I want a gay, super hero with ADD and 3 toes on his left foot so I feel better about myself. :rolleyes:
I'll say this, and it will be blunt: If I were your child with you being my parent, with all the negativity you have, I surely wouldn't want to have you as my role model. The rest of the world is already negative enough, and I would already be dealing enough with my own limiting beliefs; I surely wouldn't need to be limited by yours.

BL.

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto

I don't care, I'd rather start a petition to shut those goddamn idiot princesses up, Frozen became unbearable by the 10 minute mark.

citizenzen

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
It's a cartoon, not a role model. Parents are role models.
It's a cartoon AND a role model.

If you think parents are the only role models a child has, or that children are capable of ignoring the myriad of role models that are present everywhere, then I'd suggest you have unrealistic ... perhaps even cartoonish ... expectations of how these sorts of things influence young minds.