Teen Robs the Wrong Man

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Southern Dad, Sep 5, 2014.

1. Southern Dad macrumors 68000

Southern Dad

In this day and age you have to pick your robbery victims very carefully. A group of teens found this out the hard way when their victim turned out to be packing. Cameron Powell's life ended at 15-years-old because he chose the wrong person to attempt to rob. It turns out that this kid was no stranger to crime.

One of the perils of being a wolf is that sometimes, you encounter a sheep that is packing.

Teen with a lengthy criminal past possibly linked to dozens of robberies

Police: Teen shot during Milwaukee robbery had arrest record

2. iBanker macrumors regular

The writing on that Fox site is horrid. On topic: not a huge loss to society.

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

play stupid games / win stupid prizes.

glad there is at least a program trying to help.

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

good thing some people carry concealed :D

5. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

This metaphor is terrible.

It should be, "One of the perils of being a wolf is that sometimes you encounter a sheep dog."

6. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

“When the lamb is lost in the mountain, they is cry. Sometime come the mother. Sometime the wolf.”

7. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Justice is served and tax payers saved money at the same time...

8. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

9. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Do you gun people really want to kill somebody?

Because it really seems that way to me. That this constant obsessing over carrying guns everywhere isn't really about self-protection. Its about being prepared for the opportunity to end another human being's life without having to go to prison for very long time.

(Lets be clear here and say that these teenage robbers wanted some quick cash or merchandise. That they were shot and killed to prevent a robbery - not a murder.)

I don't really expect an answer here. But I think you folks ought to take some time and be honest with yourselves about this.

10. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

This guy had plenty of arrests so I don't feel bad for this guy, but no. I don't support death for robbery.

11. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

This kid had an arrest record & had been previously shot . He didn't care. You ASSUME robbery was where he was going to stop , no one that I know of anyway is out thereooking to kill someone, kid made his own casket

----------

I feel for his family , dude was only 15. Young & dumb

12. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

Since I was 15 just nearly 2 years ago, his age hits me hard. Otherwise he was a dangerous guy.

13. vrDrew macrumors 65816

If the crimes he'd been arrested for were that serious he would be in jail awaiting trial.

This thread, and the responses to the (mainly rhetorical) question I posed strike me as being examples of rationalization. "Yeah, he was a bad guy, so it was OK to kill him"

Anyone who's spent much time around the military, or cops, or even society in general soon realizes that there are those among us who enjoy killing people. Or at least fantasize a lot about doing so.

For practical and legal reasons, many of these people don't get to realize their ambitions very often. But sometimes military or police service - and nowadays the combination of gun ownership and random street crime - do give these people the opportunity to end another person's life. And to face not the disgust and approbation of their fellow citizens - but something approaching acceptance, if not outright approval.

As I said above: I'm not expecting any honest answers here - or indeed any answers at all. But I think some of you folks need to be honest with yourselves, and to be prepared for the consequences of that self-examination.

14. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

According to the OP link, this was about self defense. I would have done the exact same thing.

Being that said, I do agree in many other situations people do get gung ho to shoot someone just because it's legally justifiable rather than nessecary.

15. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 68000

Southern Dad

It was okay to kill him because he had just been with a group of robbers who had fired a shot. He returned, approaching the victims with his hand in a backpack. The armed individual was in fear for his life and the lives of the other victims.

Unfortunately, our juvenile justice system in this case appears to have failed miserably. Rather than protect society by keeping a dangerous felon incarcerated for many years, they gave him a chance.

The good news is that he won't do it again. Armed robbery is no small crime. It is just about as serious as you can get. Citizens have a right to protect themselves from robbers no matter the age. The police have not released the name of the shooter, yet. And we have not seen Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton up there, yet.

16. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

1 the kid came back to the scene. It does appear to be justified

2. Not sure about it, I think people are quick to think that they are indeed justified

17. vrDrew macrumors 65816

If these people were all into "self-defense" you'd see all sorts of threads discussing alarm-systems, or security doors. Designs for panic rooms and the best type of dead-bolts or safety glass.

But they don't. And if you were to look at their Facebook pages or whatever, you'll see them posing their with their assault rifles. (How come no one ever talk about their "defense rifles"?)

Don't kid yourself. They use the mantra of "self defense" as a cover to indulge their fantasy. Which basically involves killing people.

18. Arran macrumors 601

Arran

There is no good news.

And vrdrew is right. Hearing bloodthirsty folks crowing over a fellow human's death is disgusting. Whether he deserved it or not.

Have some class guys.

19. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

What kind if people do you hang around with? Got a feeling you are seeing what you want to see.

20. Arran macrumors 601

Arran

No. I don't think he is.

21. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

22. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

23. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

So many people on here go on emotion and try to twist what they FEEL others want. No one wanted the kid dead so enough with that garbage that you're regurgitating to try to make your point. What we're saying is we aren't going to shed a tear because he's gone. He was a thug and got what he had coming. Quit trying to twist this and make it out that we wanted blood.

24. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I do believe that some people carry, hoping to have the chance to exercise their Second Amendment rights.

If you don't believe that is true, then one of us doesn't understand human nature.