Teen Shoots Parents- Wanted to Read Bible, Not do Chores

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Apr 17, 2013.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

This is just bizarre. Your kid has anger management issues, likely walks around in a drug induced haze and has previous drug and crime issues and you keep a gun where he can get to it.

2. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Isn't what he did against the teachings of the bible( about respecting ones father/parents or something like that)? So in order to save someone, he goes against the bible.....

Great logic there kid....

3. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Yes it is. Just another whacked out kid so please let's not turn this into some religious discussion. The kid was clearly wrong.

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I think I would rather do chores than to read the bible.:p

5. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Not trying to turn it into a religious discussion. Just stating that he has his beliefs and wanted to share them with a friend that was interested to be saved. So he goes against the teachings of the bible to share the teachings of the bible with others....

Not bashing the bible, christianity, etc. More like bashing the whacked out kid for being an idiot for going against his own beliefs.

6. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

What you don't get is that there are actually eleven Commandments:

11) Thou shalt keep a handgun with you at all times, yea, on your bedside table, at school, at church, and thou shalt cherish it above all other worldly things;

Those crazy Liberals have been conspiring to ignore the 11th Commandment for over 2000 years, but, we know better.

[ :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ]

7. iMikeT macrumors 68020

This truly contradicts everything on the right. What I'm wondering is why haven't the CONservative members of this forum posted anything in this thread yet.

8. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Before this becomes another thread about either gun control or religion, might I just state the obvious...

The kid is not pulling a full train...he is several sandwiches short of a picnic,,, he is, as we professionals say, completely nuts. Not get-out-of-jail-insanity-defense nuts...just looney tunes!

9. iMikeT macrumors 68020

So why not have background checks to prevent crazy people like this individual from buying a gun in the first place?

10. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

RTFQ (quote)

11. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

This thread isn't about background checks. Please stay on topic.

12. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I had that feeling that I should make my brilliant, incredibly insightful and informative post in quick before what I feared would happen...happened.:p

:D

13. iMikeT macrumors 68020

I stand by what I said, someone else would have brought up something similar eventually.

----------

And it was because of you that I brought up background checks.

Despite the kid getting his parents' gun, why didn't they lock it up? Why didn't they have their child checked for mental disorders?

14. anonymouslurker macrumors regular

Background checks for a 15 year old? I don't think many people would've brought that up.

15. iMikeT macrumors 68020

We should have checks to ensure that anyone buying a gun and those around that person who could potentially have access to it are sane enough to handle one.

16. anonymouslurker macrumors regular

So now it moves from "crazy people like this (15 year old) individual" to "anyone buying a gun and those around that person"?

Kind of a leap.

17. iMikeT macrumors 68020

If that same 15 year old kid took his parents' car out for a joyride and killed a few people along the way, shouldn't he and his parents be held accountable for buying something that can clearly kill people? That car is something that his parents bought and he had access to. Shouldn't we as a society ensure that those who buy something that can kill others will use it responsibly along with the others around that person?

18. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

That begs the question "why are all the parents of these kids gun owners"

Two sides to a coin.

;)

19. anonymouslurker macrumors regular

Still has absolutely nothing to do with your original statement saying that this 15 year old child should have had a background check.

And... Car/gun analogy? Really?? :rolleyes:

20. iMikeT macrumors 68020

Maybe the parents themselves have a mental condition?

Really.

21. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

He makes a good point though from an libel standpoint. I think parents have been sued when their kids misuse their stuff like cars, they're sued when their kids throw parties in their houses and someone gets hurt....why not be responsible for what happens when their kids use their guns.

22. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

I'm not sure I totally follow your logic. By extension, you would then include kitchen utensils, baseball bats, insecticide, and even large plastic bags.

23. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Did you miss the part where the kid was on "several medications"? Likely already diagnosed with some mental disorder.

And to think, in Florida, the legislature wanted to make it illegal for healthcare providers to ask about guns in the home to counsel about the risks of unsecured firearms. This was a crime of opportunity. Parents keep gun and ammo secured, no shooting.

24. iMikeT macrumors 68020

Exactly. And these parents paid with their lives.

25. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Unfortunately, you are correct! Parents are getting sued for all sorts of crazy crap their kids are doing. Parental liability....they even have insurance for it now!

----------

No, they lived.