Teen shot dead in Atlanta after egging Mercedes

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Surely, Nov 1, 2010.

1. Surely Guest

Surely

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/article/884023--teen-shot-dead-after-egging-mercedes?bn=1

Yeah, breaking out your gun and shooting someone after being egged is a reasonable response.:rolleyes:

I hope they put the shooter away for the rest of his life......and make him work in the kitchen cooking and serving eggs to the other inmates.

2. 184550 Guest

3. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

4. Surely thread starter Guest

Surely

Which person did the stupid ****? The egger or the shooter? I guess both did, but getting killed isn't really an expected outcome of an egging prank.

5. Doc750 macrumors 6502a

I bet other teens will learn not to throw eggs at someone else's property.

Lesson learned.

Stupid should hurt.

6. Surely thread starter Guest

Surely

Yeah, because he's dead. Really?

7. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

What is the expected outcome of an egging prank?

8. Surely thread starter Guest

Surely

Best case scenario: A laugh.

Worst case: Being chased or perhaps getting an ass kicking.

I'm not condoning egging pranks, I'm just saying that an expected outcome isn't being shot to death.

9. 184550 Guest

Depends on your definition of a 'prank'. What if the driver had jerked the wheel in reaction to the egg(s), crossed the center line and collided head on with another car and seriously injured or killed himself and/ or another driver?

They were both exceedingly stupid.

10. Surely thread starter Guest

Surely

If that happened, then the egger should be charged with a crime. But it didn't. Even if that did happen, it still wouldn't be reasonable for the driver to then grab his gun and start shooting.

Both were stupid, but one was much stupider than the other.

Do you really think that pulling out a gun and shooting someone is a reasonable response to having your car egged? And on Halloween, a holiday known for stupid *** like that?

11. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

The egger should of gotten his ass beat. 'bout it.

The shooter should go away for murder. Getting egged is not life threatening. Even if the guy was driving and the egg hit the windshield he could stop. Worse thing maybe a fender bender. Then sue the kids family for damages.

It is not warranted to fire on someone unless it is life threatening.

12. Doc750 macrumors 6502a

depends on the type of car ...

13. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Perhaps it's time to revise those "expectations". Especially when pulling said prank in Northwest Atlanta.

14. 184550 Guest

It's not how I would react but I'm certainly not critical of his reaction.

People should think through the consequences of their actions.

Yeah, I'll be interested in hearing what year/ make the Mercedes was.

Exactly.

15. Surely thread starter Guest

Surely

You're not critical of his reaction?:eek: Holy crap. That's just scary.

People should definitely think through the consequences of their actions. I'd bet that this kid thought that the worst thing that would happen would be an ass kicking. Not being killed.

16. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Indeed. But if you thought through the consequences of egging a car, death would not come to mind. Thinking through the consequences of pointing and firing a lethal weapon, however, would bring death to mind.

17. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

So you are highly critical of someone for throwing an egg but you think killing someone is ok (though you wouldn't have done it yourself)?

Unbelievable! :rolleyes:

18. 184550 Guest

I don't know about you, but this was the first thing that came to my mind after reading the article. 'What if...'

Whenever I do something, I think through every possible outcome, no matter how unlikely it is.

19. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Unlike Nathan Muir (unless I'm misreading his post) I am "critical" of the Mercedes driver's reaction. Yes, of course it was an overreaction.

Having said that, there is no way I (having lived in Atlanta once upon a time) would egg a car in Northwest Atlanta. Seems like you would be even more aware of how dangerous a proposition that would be if you'd grown up there (which I guess I'm assuming is the case for this kid who got shot).

20. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

NathanMuir,

Take a step back from the thread and think critically. You never did anything stupid as a kid? I did. I remember this one time I took probably about 60 packs of toilet paper and trashed my friends yard. I mean bad. I was in 7th grade and there were about 8 of us doing it. It was hilarious back then to teepee peoples houses. Could you imagine if their dad came outside and shot all of us and killed us for that? Seriously?

Now look at this. Yeah he egged a car. The most that should of happened was an ass beating. In reality the cops should of been called and if the kid was caught make him pay for the damage and maybe mow the guys yard for 3 months.

21. Surely thread starter Guest

Surely

Again, that didn't happen.

And again, even if that did happen, it still doesn't justify pulling out a gun and killing someone. We have a justice system in this country......

I doubt that. You wouldn't end up doing anything, for fear that the alien spaceship will come down and snatch you up.

22. Bonch macrumors 6502

Bonch

Gotta say I'm more or less with Nathan on this one. Basically y'all are saying that felony assault with fists is ok but not with a weapon. Here's a tip: don't go to law school. An assault without a weapon can still lead to a homicide.

23. 184550 Guest

The stupidest thing I ever did was in 9th grade. It was a snow day, no school. My friend and I walked over another friends house to hang out and play Monopoly or some other board game. When we arrived, he and another person were already out in his front yard throwing snowballs at passing cars from behind the bushes. Myself and my other friend stood there watching, not participating, just watching. Then they threw one snowball at a passing car. The driver, not expecting the snowball, jerked the wheel and almost crashed into a telephone pole. Turns out it was a mother with baby in the backseat. My friend and I were deemed guilty by association when the police arrived. In the end everything turned out fine for myself and my friend but you better believe that that situation made me mindful of every possible outcome a situation can have.

So, no, I haven't done anything stupid because I evaluate the consequences of my actions.

24. Surely thread starter Guest

Surely

No one is saying that it's okay.... I'm saying that getting an ass kicking should be the worst outcome of doing something stupid like egging a car.

Calling the police is the right answer.

25. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Assault? He hit a car with eggs. Unless they were boiled maybe, went through his windshield, hit him in the head and there was no other way the driver could escape (driving) and firing shots was the only way he could live through the experience... etc...

It is not assault. It is property damage non-lifethreatening and the guy should go to jail for murder.