Teen slain for his iPod

BruinJohn

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2004
Bay Area, CA
That's sad

Sun Baked said:
Always happens when something becomes super popular ...

I agree. I remember when the Jordan's came out in the 90's. Kids were getting jumped and beaten for them. Its unfortunate. This is a pretty brazen attack too because it was two thugs against three boys. Maybe Apple should put out a warning, or lower their prices so that it won't be such a hight ticket item. Lowering the price would be nice. Or give a can of mace with every iPod. I don't mean to make light of this attack. I apologize if it seems that way.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Yeah, I have several different pairs of non-white headphones that I can use with my iPod. I love the Shuffle for being so small too. I can spot bicyclists and joggers wearing the stock Apple earbuds. I just keep my Shuffle in a black Speck case and hidden away.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Gone but not forgotten.
This reminds me of the $400 gold earrings some girl wore to high school in Philly. She wouldn't give them up and they killed her for them.

They need to create devices that only work correctly with the proper DNA and shock the hell out of someone who isn't authorised to use them.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
bousozoku said:
They need to create devices that only work correctly with the proper DNA and shock the hell out of someone who isn't authorised to use them.
Talk about DRM. :eek:

:D

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
I can see stealing food when you're starving,
but killing for an iPod?

It's very selfish, very uncontrolled. People talk about kids without boundaries, but I think this is something more. Someone that kills for an iPod is maybe on the surface killing for an iPod, but why is he REALLY killing someone?

It's weird to read that, died for an iPod. Died! I don't buy it. How can newspapers report this drivel without looking for a deeper story?

aptmunich

macrumors member
May 29, 2004
Well if you are ever mugged for something like that: Just give it to them!

Nothing is worth getting killed over...
Even if you are in the majority - you never know what they might have concealed about them.

Neerazan

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2005
London, UK
Each iPod has a unique serial number which iTunes uses to identify which iPod is which...

Now if Apple wanted to they could disable any iPods that had been registered as stolen the first time the iPod was plugged into a copy of iTunes, just so long as the computer was connected to the Internet at the time...

Thoughts?

And as for violent crime outside the US of A, a few weeks ago here in the UK a guy got killed by a bunch of thugs for asking them to move along in his own quiet residential street... thugery, idiocy and violence appear to be pretty universal. It's just that you're a lot less likely to get shot outside of the US.

witness

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2005
Austria
Neerazan said:
Each iPod has a unique serial number which iTunes uses to identify which iPod is which...

Now if Apple wanted to they could disable any iPods that had been registered as stolen the first time the iPod was plugged into a copy of iTunes, just so long as the computer was connected to the Internet at the time...

Thoughts?
Yes, this can be done with mobile phones, so could easily be done with iPods.

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
now that's a little desperate. killing someone for an ipod? i'm just glad that when i was last in brooklyn that i'd lost my original headphones...

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
Eidorian said:
Yeah, I have several different pairs of non-white headphones that I can use with my iPod. I love the Shuffle for being so small too. I can spot bicyclists and joggers wearing the stock Apple earbuds. I just keep my Shuffle in a black Speck case and hidden away.
Although I see your point about not using the stock phones, I personally like them, both in simplicity of style and sound reproduction (considering they are included and free :D). I think that of late most people will ASSUME headphones of any sort means an iPod somewhere on the person, at least I do commonly at the mall or on the subway. You don't see many people carrying around portable CD-players anymore, they just aren't as practicle as they used to be now that mp3 players are so common. Perhaps "out of sight, out of mind" applies to many of the cases, not having white earphones perhaps will allow someone to overlook your person as a "target" altogether, however I still think most have iPods, regardless.

I do agree with your point about the Shuffle, very small and easily stashable, however if you have to cover it in a case, why buy and Apple mp3 player vs. another brand? The features are *similar* and the price is usually not. I am willing to pay the added price for style, but if you have to cover it or always hide it, what is the point?

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
Perhaps the government should set up some sort of public iPod welfare system to help those families who are less fortunate and cannot afford an iPod. Perhaps that will end this senseless violence!! Perhaps an iPod tax, so that every time a rich person buys one, an poor person gets one for free.

That would end crime as we know it.

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
mainstreetmark said:
Perhaps the government should set up some sort of public iPod welfare system to help those families who are less fortunate and cannot afford an iPod. Perhaps that will end this senseless violence!! Perhaps an iPod tax, so that every time a rich person buys one, an poor person gets one for free.

That would end crime as we know it.
I don't think it would do anything to crime, there will always be crime regardless of the system. Even if I (playing the rich) purchase an iPod and you (playing the poor) get one for free, what about all your friends and their friends that haven't received their Gov't iPod yet? Are they going to be patient and wait? Doubt it....
In addition, poor and rich are bad examples. I may have no money but I could go purchase an iPod if I want, it would just be a poor decision because I should use that money elsewhere....very few people make good choices.