Teen Sues Parents for Cash, College Tuition.

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
Does She Have a Case?

A New Jersey teenager claiming her mother and father tossed her out of their home and cut her off financially is suing them for immediate support, current private-school fees and future college tuition. The parents, meanwhile, say that daughter Rachel Canning, 18, moved out voluntarily after refusing to abide by their rules.

For months, Rachel — an honor student, cheerleader, and lacrosse player — has been living with the family of her best friend and classmate, Jaime Inglesino, whose father, attorney John Inglesino, is bankrolling Rachel’s lawsuit. He’s also requesting in the lawsuit that the Cannings reimburse him for the legal fees, so far totaling $12,597, according to the paper.
http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/nj-teen-sues-parents-for-cash-and-college-tuition-201404488.html

hope the parents win.

Reactions: cfedu

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Sounds like a nasty case of spoilt child syndrome. The only cure is a harsh beating of reality, preferably round the face and in the form of astronomical legal fees for a wasted lawsuit and a pathetic plea for attention.

All diagnosis's made by me can be misinformed and inaccurate.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Based on the limited info available, I think the parents should be on the hook for the balance of her high school education. As for the rest, all I can see is some over entitled teenager.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Sounds like the friends father (the lawyer) wants some money and coerced the girl into the lawsuit.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Based on the limited info available, I think the parents should be on the hook for the balance of her high school education. As for the rest, all I can see is some over entitled teenager.
Technically if she is emancipated, she should be able to claim that when it comes to applying for financial aid. Otherwise the income and assets of her parents could be counted against her eligibility.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Technically if she is emancipated, she should be able to claim that when it comes to applying for financial aid. Otherwise the income and assets of her parents could be counted against her eligibility.
Isn't private school paid for before the school year starts? Plus is private school a mandate for education? She can legally be kicked out for not paying and just have to go to school with the dirty poor kids.

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
Sounds like the friends father (the lawyer) wants some money and coerced the girl into the lawsuit.
More likely he wants the spoiled brat out of his house, before she corrupts his daughter with her ideas of 'independence'.

Still, we have yet to hear the full story.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Isn't private school paid for before the school year starts? Plus is private school a mandate for education? She can legally be kicked out for not paying and just have to go to school with the dirty poor kids.
I was referring to college. Federal and state grants and subsidized loans generally factor the income and assets of parents if you are of the typical college age. I think the cutoff on that is something like 24. If she's on her own at that point, it can probably be verified so that the income of her parents won't be counted against her.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
This is why people hate lawyers.
Blame these punk ass kids today that refuse to grow up.

My dad was in Vietnam when he was 18 and never lived under mommy and daddy again after the war was over.

My grandfather was in the Navy at 17, fighting the Japanese.

At 18 you are grown, get out and get your own.

citizenzen

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
First off, I hope the parents win as we'll.

But ...

What? You hear one extreme case and extrapolate that out to "these punk ass kids today"?

Smells like a hasty generalization. Or something that could be applied to any generation of kids throughout history. Take your pick.

My dad was in Vietnam when he was 18 and never lived under mommy and daddy again after the war was over.

And I bet both of them would have preferred to have spent their late teens/early twenties chasing women and getting in trouble in the back seat, instead of marching through mud with imminent death at their side.

Putting youth through the horrors of war should not be considered normal or desirable.

shinji

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2007
Yeah, she's 18, and is no longer the direct responsibility of her parents. Law say she be emancipated.
From the linked article:
The mere fact that a child has turned 18 is not an automatic reason to stop financial support, according to Helfand and several longtime family attorneys in Morris County. A key court decision in the state specifies that, “A child’s admittance and attendance at college will overcome the rebuttable presumption that a child may be emancipated at age 18.”

“A child is not emancipated until they’re on their own,” Simon said. “Even if a child and the parents don’t get along, that doesn’t relieve the parents of their responsibility.”

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010

All that statement says is that America fights a lot of wars.:D

I cannot see what bearing this has on this legal case.

I have heard of the "Twinkie Defence", are you trying to add "Fighting Father Defence"?

America is the home of the frivolous law suit.:p

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I can't imagine any jury siding with the teen, but then again the justice system is F'd up.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK

Back then rents and property prices were lower too ;).

Micky Do

macrumors 68000
Aug 31, 2012
An island in the Andaman Sea.
A monster of the parents own making?

The kid does sound an ungrateful brat, but maybe the parents reaping their due. So many youngsters seem to be raised to believe that the world owes them a living……

I have encountered a few in my time as a tertiary level teacher.

Last edited:

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
The does sound an ungrateful brat, but maybe the parents reaping their due. So many youngsters seem to be raised to believe that the world owes them a living……

I have encountered a few in my time as a tertiary level teacher.
The kids whose parents fund them at university do a lot better than those who don't. And at least if your parents are poor you usually get government help whereas if they are rich you don't.