Teen Suicide Epidemic in Michelle Bachmann's district

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Ugg, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Mother Jones

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

She's an *******. There are more appropriate words, but I can't use them here. People like Bachmann just need to go away. We don't need them.

3. TSE macrumors 68030

I went to school in her district where all these suicides are taking place.

However, I don't see any anti-gay anything in our schools. In fact our school's hallways were packed with Gay-Straight Alliance posters even though I had never seen any discriminatory actions towards gays.

4. Ugg thread starter macrumors 68000

Ugg

Obama's repeal of DADT was slow, boring and very successful but people couldn't get interested in it. Why? Some people have suggested that his slow, methodical approach had a lot to do with it. Obama was a community organizer in the 90s in Chicago, something a lot of people forget. What makes them successful is a slow and steady build up of lots of people from different backgrounds.

He did the right thing with DADT but DADT was a federal issue, not a state's issue or in this case a school district's issue. Unfortunately school districts can be very powerful fiefdoms where ideologues can run rampant with little or no oversight. So can congressional districts. Representative have to play to their base and that's why she will never become president. She won't get the gay vote, not even from the Log Cabinites, no votes from Hispanics or Blacks or Asians, no votes from anyone who believes in progress.

Unfortunately, she and people like her will continue to grab votes from aging, paranoid boomers who increasingly feel that a totalitarian government is the only way to save 'their America'. They don't care about community, only a mythological America that never existed.

5. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Not surprising. Just living in the same district as Bachmann by itself would be enough to give me passing urges to drink bleach.

6. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

While the high suicide rate is tragic, this seems to be a few loosely connected stories attempting to link her opposition to anti-bullying laws to these deaths.

Yes it's ridiculous that she could oppose something like that, but come on, this is a really unfair connecting the dots piece. She's a congresswoman, not the school board for that district. She voiced her opinion but I doubt it carried much weight with a board dealing with this issue.

7. 184550 Guest

I agree.

It's rather misplaced IMO to hold her responsible when she lacks any direct control over the situation(s).

8. Ugg thread starter macrumors 68000

Ugg

Never? Your school must have been extremely tolerant. Perhaps the bigotry was concentrated in a handful of school districts.

Then why is the US Justice Dept, the US Education Dept and the MN State Health Dept investigating? Her husband's conversion business, her paranoia concerning gays, her opposition to anti-bullying legislation, her vitriolic attacks on gay marriage aren't in the least unequivocal.

She's also from an extremely conservative district. By aiding if only 'morally' the school districts, you don't think she's had an impact?

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Regardless- words matter. And she represents that district. You have to wonder what that says about the people who live there. They elected that insane witch. I wonder what they're like?

Bingo.

10. 184550 Guest

She was elected with only 52.5% of the vote. I wouldn't draw any conclusions of the entire district based off those numbers.

11. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Oh by no means do I think she is anything but a woman with disgusting views. I just don't like this kind of connect-the-loosely-related-dots journalism. She's a Representative, she doesn't have the power to influence the school board's approach to this tragic issue.

It's a hit piece that tugs on the heart strings.

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Your link didn't exactly help your case. It stated that district has a strong GOP base. The GOP is generally not in favor of anti-bullying laws, amongst other things.

Read Ugg's post. I stand by what I said.

13. Ugg thread starter macrumors 68000

Ugg

Let me put it this way. The State of MN and the US Government are investigating Civil Rights issues and teen suicides in her district. Don't you think she would be interested in that? Don't you think that she would express some sympathy or something. Her inaction, to me at least, speaks much louder than words.

14. TSE macrumors 68030

Honestly, never. I went to a pretty small school though, our graduating class was 45.

The only thing I remember happening in our school that I didn't like was there was a "silence day" to show respect to the struggles gay people had to go through. Almost nobody participated so I remember the few actual gay people at our school freaking out so much that they were sent home. That's the only occurence I can think of where there was any trouble... but honestly I didn't participate either, it was silly.

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Yes, she's vile and has the totally wrong view on bullying. I'll say it time and again the woman is a nut.

Now that the Bachmann bashing is over, however, she has little to do with these tragedies other than being on the wrong side of the anti-bullying movement.

Is this thread supposed to just be a bashfest, or were we actually trying to discuss the point that this hit piece was trying to assert?

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It certainly does. You would think she might be just a little concerned about something like this. Isn't that why she hates gay marriage anyway? Fear for the children? This doesn't seem to be bothering her too much.

Again- I don't see how she can be completely separated from this, for reasons Ugg and I posted above. Things public leaders say are not harmless. Kids are listening.

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Seeing as there are already investigations, task forces, everyone doing what they are supposed to be doing, we're just looking for this loon to be singing a different tune and that is what is going to make the difference for you guys? Come on. She's a Representative, this isn't her job and the response has been and still is ongoing from everyone that has the jurisdiction and is supposed to be responding to this tragedy.

I've expressed my disgust with this bigot, but it's clear this thread is just looking to be a bashfest.

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

NT- wow, you're missing the point. No one is directly blaming her for anything. What we're saying that every little bit hurts. You can't blame her directly for it, but she most certainly is not helping the situation with the things she says and the views she holds. Kids do hear that stuff.

This is not a black and white situation here. It's a little grey.

19. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Lee, I've gotten the point and already condemned her for her disgusting views. I GOT IT.

I'm saying where is this thread supposed to go after saying these things already? The tone here just seems like everyones looking for a Bachmann bashing echo chamber.

I, and everyone else, have already expressed that she isn't helping and has disgusting views on this. Perfectly clear right? Again, I got it and agree.

I'm just saying, now what? Let's just keep bashing the loon? :confused::confused: Where is this supposed to go?

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

First of all, what is up with you today? Calm down and then maybe we'll talk.

You claimed that Bachmann holds absolutely no responsibility for this whatsoever earlier in the thread. Ugg and I disagreed. That's all. It is also relevant to discuss what a district is like that would elect such a person in the first place. Bachmann and the people she represents are all responsible for this, all of them in their own way.

Now what? Use this as further indication that this woman and those like her need to be kept as far from the White House as possible. Knowledge is power, and it is quite relevant that these things are happening in her district. It's not just coincidence.

21. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I never claimed she doesn't hold any responsibility for her comments Lee, those were the loosely connected dots I was referring to in my post.

I'm just saying the article, and this thread, are trying to assign more blame than I think is fair.

22. Ugg thread starter macrumors 68000

Ugg

That's what bothers me the most is that she seems totally indifferent. DADT was repealed, New York is ok with gay marriage, the "It Gets Better" campaign has made a difference, but elected officials are still actively and tacitly approving of anti-gay bias.

Ah, so now there is substance to the article but now it's the thread itself that's a waste of time. I get it.

As I pointed out in post #4, the repeal of DADT was slow and tortuous but it worked! Now we have the federal government moving towards GLBT acceptance but there are pockets of the US where teachers are told to be neutral on homosexuality and US Representatives thinks that kids who are bullied just need to grow a pair.

I think a good question to ask is should US Congressman represent all their constituents or just the 52.5% that voted for them?

23. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Not at all. Bachmann most certainly has the power to effect change. It's her responsibility to do so. All she has to do is speak out about it. It's the simplest thing in the world.

24. mgguy, Jul 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2011

mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

What data are available on the probable motivations for the suicides? No evidence showing the suicides were reactions to bullying/gay bashing has been offered here. No definition of bullying has been offered either. I would want to see what "bar" is being set for something to rise to the level of bullying according to the law. If it is defined in a way that would include calling someone a name (e.g., "tea bagger") or saying something generic like "that's so gay," the majority of the students will end up in the principals office or sitting in jail, depending on the penalties specified in these anti-bullying laws. A law for this, a law for that, pretty soon we will all be incarcerated...

25. Ugg thread starter macrumors 68000

Ugg

Perhaps you didn't read what I posted, but State public health officials have labeled the area a "suicide contagion area" because of the unusually high death rate. the article also goes on to say that there is no knowing why these young people committed suicide. They're in their formative years and may not know for sure they're gay, perhaps they're still exploring. One of the cases discussed in the article makes it clear that the girl may not have been gay, but was labeled gay by her classmates.

In other words hatred is being spread amongst students because the district is neutral on homosexuality allowing the kids free reign to hunt down those it views as vulnerable.