Teen Suicides on the rise? Blame the Internet!!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Queso, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Queso macrumors G4

A spate of suicides amongst youngsters in Bridgend, South Wales has led locals desperately searching for something to blame. Not surprisingly, rather than maybe listen to their kids or improve the facilities in the town to give their children a more confident view of their future, they've decided to just wail that social networking sites are obviously at fault. Good job too, because otherwise they may have to start on the video games industry or television like they used to.

More information on the latest attempt by humanity to achieve complete self-delusion here on BBC News.

2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

the irony is that suicide rates may not have risen, but we're hearing more of them because of the easy access to information provided by the internet.

that's some pretty strong hold...

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I heard one of the "victims" friends saying it was also because the poor souls had "know one to talk to".

FFS, teenagers, cry me a river :rolleyes:

4. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Well if they had no one to talk to.............Then how could a social networking site possibly be able to blame :confused:

5. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I blame violent films, or possibly rock music. I might right a strongly worded letter to my MP about it.

6. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

I blame more teens believing media overplay of more teens committing suicide, and not wanting to miss out on the latest fad.

7. foidulus macrumors 6502a

Maybe the atrocious spelling of her peers drove her to do it :p

8. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

well the social networking sites will eat up a lot of their time and cause them not to want to spend time with other people. From there it starts this downward spiral. They want to be around people but do not want to go out.

Talking from experience here on how the social networking sites really make things worse.

9. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

Of course it's the fault of them durned internets! We already blamed Satan, talkies, Elvis, comic books, and The Beatles.

10. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

11. Olphus macrumors newbie

Elvis shaking his hips on Youtube might be it.

12. Doylem macrumors 68040

Doylem

Great attitude... Is there some lower age limit on feeling lost or lonely or depressed. There's one online resource that can help: anyone can email

jo@samaritans.org

for 'listening' and support...

13. Kamera RAWr macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

Suicide, what a rough topic. When I was teenager, the two best friends I ever had (even to this day) both commited suicide. 2 years apart and they didn't know each other, just incase anyone is wondering. Anyway, as a result having known them, when I meet new friends or people who are similar in that at some point they talk about wanting to commit suicide, I have a pretty harsh view. I may try to help a bit, but I will truly give up not too long after if I feel I'm making no progress. I've found you can't help those that don't want it. I will just step away, as I refuse to be around it or near it again... its painful.

14. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

It's all a question of how a story is spun. The university down the road from me will always be known as the place where fun, and freshmen, go to die. But my school has actually had more suicides in recent years. Once a narrative is set, it is hard to break.

15. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Can't we just go back to blaming Satan of all the ills of society? It makes it much easier to keep my moral outrage straight that way.

16. Domofloge macrumors regular

Domofloge

Violent films are a plausable cause for these suicides...

Rock music? Care to elaborate how rock music will lead to suicides?? I could understand hardcore screamo. etc. but def. not rock.. :rolleyes:

17. iCantwait macrumors 65816

iCantwait

maybe its the hormone levels in teenagers are sometimes unbalanced, one in particular causes them to become depressed and depression can occur in anybody, but it is more frequent in teens, causing teen suicide.

18. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

He's joking ;)

19. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Blame the internet??

pft I blame the damn teenagers, grow up and get on with your life, 6 billion other people do it just fine.

20. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

My post might not have been entirely serious. ;)

I suspect that the 'causes' I mentioned are as responsible for these suicides as the internet – ie, not at all. As dynamicv alludes to in his opening post, by blaming internet sites – or films, or music, or whatever – for such incidents, it's shifting the blame away from the community that these youngsters came from. Teenagers across the world have access to exactly the same websites as those in Bridgend, so why aren't similar 'suicide cults' happening now in the rest of our towns and cities?

If a community is having problems with it's youngsters then it needs to look within itself to see what is causing these problems, rather than trying to apportion blame elsewhere.

21. Doylem macrumors 68040

Doylem

Huh? People all over the world suffer from depression and suicidal feelings; they're NOT all doing just fine. If you ever need help for such distressing feelings, I hope you find people with a bit more compassion than you've shown here...

22. Kamera RAWr macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

Sometimes you can only have so much compassion though :eek:

23. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I blame video games!

They make killing yourself look like SO much fun!

24. Doylem macrumors 68040

Doylem

Apparently...

25. Kamera RAWr macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

I've had suicide close to me more than I'd like and I really found you just can't help those that won't listen and don't want help. Believe me, I've tried. Suicide in most cases is irrational and there's usually no reasoning with people intent on doing it.