Teen Used Mom's Gun in Shooting by Utah School

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Nov 1, 2016.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/prosecutors-teen-moms-gun-shooting-utah-school-43204222
    kid has a gun and bully decides to still go for it, bully is lucky to be alive, not sure why the shooter is facing attempted murder charges. shot the bully in self defense.

2. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

If parents and schools won't do their damn jobs to make kids civilized, even I must concede that self-defense is a viable solution.

But wait, parents tell schools it's only parents' responsibility and not the city's. By then parents say it's okay for the little brats to be bullying vermin. Yet most people say bullying is wrong and there's enough evidence to show they are correct, as opposed to - say - 1960 when everyone said "Smoking is harmless and is okay" but, oops, the number of lung cancer and emphysema related deaths went up because of additional crap put into the ciggies (if any that could contribute to said conditions, etc) so cig smoking really isn't okay so why is society by of and for the people being far more than merely tolerant of it...

3. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

continuation schools here in our district are overflowing already, so bully's get to stay in the classroom/school as there is no more places for them, if there is a fight, BOTH the bully and the victim get suspension and a mark on their records, that really affects nerds who have decent GPA's is they wish to attend a nice school and are counting on scholarship money on top of a clean record to get in.

4. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

I wouldn't put the onus on schools here even as much as I'm anti public schooling. They are there to teach (indoctrinate?). It's a parent's job to raise children. It always goes back to the family and unfortunately children can't pick and choose who has/raises them.

5. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Why is the kid being prosecuted rather than the parent who clearly did not store the gun and its ammunition securely? Makes no sense.

6. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

if the kid knows how to properly use it then the gun is "secured" .

7. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I mean, at that stage is it really? You would really have to look at what Utah considers self defense.

If the kid takes the gun and commits numerous crimes with it (he's been charged with multiple counts, even if you ignore attempted murder), it's obviously not secure enough.

8. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I suppose it depends on what you define as 'proper use'.... And to me 'secured' means 'directly and personally supervised by a trained adult' when it comes to a kid using a gun.

9. appleisking macrumors 6502a

They'll probably drop the attempted murder charge

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

11. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

used guns on my own since 12 w/o adult supervision, yeah it was a 10/22 but it got the job done. :eek:

12. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

What job was that?

13. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

pest/rabbit/ crow control :D

14. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Had me going for a moment there, I misread that for "crowd control".

15. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

I think what many anti-gun people do not realize is that pro-gun people teach their kids gun safety at a young age. But then again, I grew up in a town where everyone had a gun in their vehicle while on school grounds. Many of which where riffles hanging on the gun rack in the back window. Guess what...No shootings. Amazing, isn't it?

16. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

The kid and the kids mother should be in jail.

17. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I'm certainly not anti-gun, but it's pretty obvious that the parent in the OP maybe didn't do the best job teaching her kid "gun safety". This kid took a gun to school and shot someone, and that is no bueno...

18. adroit macrumors 6502

adroit

You have seriously got to be kidding. You're just taking the piss right?
    --- Post Merged, Nov 1, 2016 ---
    Holy $*#!

sad

19. Zenithal macrumors 603

You're referencing ZTP or Zero Tolerance Policy. It's a California thing and it punishes both victim and perpetrator. It's also harsher compared to what used to be done. But sue happy parents took advantage and reamed districts for huge settlements. When I was a lad in school, a fist fight decided what happened. Off campus, of course, sometimes the cool teachers would come and cheer you on.

Regardless of it being defense, having a weapon on campus now or even the ancient days, as some youth would call it, is a major crime.

20. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

it's more like a zero common sense policy. one honor roll student was crying because she did said she did not make it to the school she wanted to get in because of her record, her example was brought up at the AVID meeting with parents and parents of course were pissed. good kid defended herself from a thug and then she ended up paying twice, first by the stupid school and then not making it to a decent school because of the record.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 1, 2016 ---
    my kids had access to my firearms since the day they learned to PROPERLY use them.

21. Zenithal macrumors 603

I never said it was a good policy... And AVID? Fortunately, courts go against ZTPs often. It makes it easier to sue the school, district and whatnot. I think it was the late 90s when California introduced ZTP. There's been a few cases since then, albeit near local, that resulted in a loss for the school and or district. With the settlement coming from local tax payers and being in the high six to low seven figure range. You can't fix stupid, Jkcerda.