teen who tweeted ‘Israel is a terrorist force’ was called to the principal’s office for ‘bullying’

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by cfedu, Jan 8, 2016.

1. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...called-to-the-principals-office-for-bullying/

Watch out before you lose your freedom of speech , this reminds me of a similar case we are having in right now Canada.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/c...l-could-have-enormous-fallout-for-free-speech

2. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Just don't talk about people you know in social media.

3. Jess13 Suspended

Jess13

4. citizenzen macrumors 65816

5. vrDrew macrumors 65816

99% of the time I find Conservative bleating about political correctness, etc. to be overwrought nonsense.
    And every once in a while you come across a story that suggests they might sometimes have a point.

Do school administrators and teachers really have nothing better to do with their time than to monitor student social media activity? (Heaven only knows how many hours of tedious "shopping haul" videos they have to sit through.)

I don't know what the answer here is. Obviously we don't want rampant bullying to drive vulnerable kids to suicide. But on the other hand, it seems well within the realm of acceptable behavior to "unfriend" someone, and announce the fact on one's Twitter feed.

All in all, I'm glad my high school days are many years in the past. But on the other hand, I'd still have to pee in a cup to get a job working at Wal-Mart and TSA agents act as if wearing a belt or carrying a wallet is a dangerous crime. So we've all lost more than a little in the freedom wars.

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Not true. We can criticise Israel without being in trouble.

7. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I think of it as the Florida of the Middle East.

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I can go with that. Of course the Middle East is far more backwards than the south in America. And Israel is far worse than Florida too.

9. sim667 macrumors 65816

I bet the girl who unfollowed her has reported her...... rather than the school monitoring it.

10. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Damn, that kid has Frida Kahlo eyebrows. Pretty soon the government won't let me say that.

Unfollowing someone on Twitter could be a micro-aggression. Pretty soon the government won't let me do that.

11. sim667 macrumors 65816

Maybe a safe space is need for those distraught at having been unfollowed on twitter.

12. stylinexpat macrumors 6502a

Question is if it really is bullying? What about the school's approach towards her? That considered bullying too?

13. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Macrumors forum is a private forum and can be moderated as the owners see fit. There is no freedom of speech on a private forum.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 16, 2016 ---

Freedom of speech covers you from gov infringement of speech, not from private institutions. Is the school a private or public (gov funded) school? I dont believe the article says. I think the bigger issue of the story is how the school handled it by going through her phone and making her write out statement against her objections. She should at least have a legal right to fight how they handled it. How other countries handle freedom of speech is usually entirely different then how the US is setup. Many countries that do have that freedom still have clauses in some regards that the US doesn't have.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 16, 2016 ---

Which is why I think she could have a proper case if she wanted to take legal action.

14. stylinexpat macrumors 6502a

15. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I do not see how the school would have disciplinary jurisdiction over a private Twitter account off school grounds/network. Furthermore, I doubt it is legal to have a personal cell phone searched by school faculty.

16. thermodynamic, Jan 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2016

thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

If what a student says impacts how the student's school functions, and taxpayers like the student's family pay for it all, then I'd reckon the school should be able to discipline. If my kids went to school, I want them to learn and be competitive. I can't be there 24/7, so I expect the school to do its job since I'm paying them to help.

Now maybe the kid had study hall or off hours where it's permitted.As long as the kids do their jobs and show it by getting good grades and the coursework is not diluted or allowed inflated grades... voila, simple ethics, standards, and regulations. Simple.

But here's another adea: For under-aged people, they should just stay in school and learn. Giving them rights identical to adults is like playing "Lord of the Flies" and without any thought put into it whatsoever. They already had more than enough disruptive freedoms back when I went to high school decades ago, never mind how much worse it's gotten and what's allowed now...

--- Post Merged, Jan 24, 2016 ---
    So let's say some kid is playing on her phone during class. Is the teacher or school allowed to take it away or is the school or teacher in the wrong and all kids should be able to spend their days doing nothing except using their phone?

If the kid is taking notes, does the instructor have the right to even make accusatory comments or is the kid allowed more rights than why it is in class to begin with? Here's a fun example: In college a few years ago I used electronic devices to take notes and that got the instructor believing I was playing games, which I wasn't and never once was (but I was the only one using electronic devices to take notes on, every other student in the class was a tree murderer by using paper and pencil). Now, that tirade leads to a tangent of WTF are adults doing playing games in grossly over-expensive college classes in the first place for instructors to make snap accusations about (good effing grief), but back to the point: Kids aren't adults, they think doing anything and everything is okay until taught not to. Leadership positions include teachers. If the kids aren't being disciplined and told what's acceptable, how do you think they will act 25 years from now? Apart from playing video games when they go back to college when the next Greater Recession hits and they have to retrain to remain viable, perhaps?
    --- Post Merged, Jan 24, 2016 ---
    Some people say the same thing for cube walls. Thankfully, jobs and infrastructure are offshored so you'll get the anarchy you truly want in a few decades' time. Who will you blame, then?

Oh, you might want to look up how much more prison-like it is for Chinese, Indian, and other such students before you continue with your blind, anti-US tirades. And, yes, overlook how companies have had Americans train their own H1B replacements who later move home, but that's an indirect argument. Back to the main point, students, from the ground up: Those countries' students don't even need ipads and other toys and are said to be doing better than US students and by the same folks that want ipads in schools to help make Americans more competitive, so why are US taxpayers footing the bill for needless plastic trash too??

17. Jess13, Jan 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2016

Jess13 Suspended

Jess13

Show me US public school kids comparative to these US homeschool kids' early successes:

Meet the family who sent six kids to college by age 12

http://www.today.com/news/meet-family-who-sent-six-kids-college-age-12-1C9316706

By 12, Seth was hanging out with students nearly twice his age, studying the Middle Ages at Faulkner University, near his home in Montgomery, Alabama. "How's he doing?" I ask assistant professor Grover Plunkett.

"He's got the highest average in the class."

Seth was motivated by his brother Keith's success. Keith is just down the hall, studying finite mathematics, a college senior -- at 14.

"It makes you wonder,” their friend Wesley Jimmerson says, shaking his head. "Are they advanced, or are we [in public schools] just really behind?"

Sister Hannah was the first of the Harding kids to take college entrance exams -- at age 12. "I didn't expect to pass,” she says, “so I started crying, because I was thinking, 'Now what?'"

By 22 she was designing spacecraft. She holds master's degrees in math and mechanical engineering.

Ten-year-old Katrinnah Harding hopes to enter college next year. Her brother Heath started at age 11.

He's finishing his master's in computer science -- at 17.

Like her dad, Serennah chose the military. She's about to become a Navy doctor at age 22 -- one of the youngest physicians in American history.

The only real difference between these two images-one has desks, and the other does not:

US public school cinder block walls with cop beating black girl;
    And US prison cinder block walls with cops beating black guy.

US.png

You have no argument, but, of course, you already knew that. ;);)

18. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

The difference is that the teen posted this while outside of school. I agree fully that students using cell phones in class should have them confiscated until the end of the day.

19. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I don't think anyone will argue that our public school system is an absolute, teetotal mess at the moment. It's what happens when you constantly cut funding to schools, then have them fight over the scraps by doling out the remaining funds based on test scores, forcing them to teach material only covered on tests, rather than, you know, teach.

20. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Every last POTUS candidate response ....... "We love Israel so much. Israel is great and we blindly defend them."

21. cfedu thread starter macrumors 65816

cfedu

22. APlotdevice, Feb 14, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2016

APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

I'll take this opportunity to share an experience my aunt, a reform Rabbi, had a few years back (I've removed certain details to avoid potential harassment):

23. cfedu thread starter macrumors 65816

cfedu

I feel for you, this issue was one of the contributing factors in the breakup of my marriage. The last straw was one my ex-wife wanted to change family doctors, she said "I know he is a great Dr. and great with the kids, but he is a muslim" When I called her out for it, she called me a jew hating nazi. Lets just say I was not married much longer after that.

24. stylinexpat macrumors 6502a