Teenage girl mob attacks friend

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by TheQuestion, Apr 8, 2008.

1. TheQuestion macrumors regular

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I hope they realize that in Florida prisons, they have beat-you-up parties without even needing MySpace as an excuse. :eek:

3. halfprep455 macrumors regular

halfprep455

It looks like Wayne Brady is gonna have to chocke some bit**es

4. TheQuestion thread starter macrumors regular

5. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

The age ranges vary from 14-18 for the kids involved. Depending on their level of involvement I can see how the 14, 15, and maybe even the 16 year old might have been more coerced by the older kids. The 18 year olds are adults, the 17 year olds should be tried as adults and depending on the charges I can see trying them all as adults. I wouldn't want to be trying a 14-16 year old as an adult in this case if it were possible that it would result in a prison sentence, but if the penalties are going to end up as fines/probation, it would send out a strong message to kids who should have known better, and might actually be a deterrent to other groups contemplating doing similar things.

6. TheQuestion thread starter macrumors regular

and now for the real debate...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24036031/ (this is an opinion piece, not news)

Is the internet really to blame for this as some of the parents suggest? Or should some parent take a good long look in the mirror?

7. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

The internet is an inanimate object, a tool, the parents need to look in the mirror.

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

So let me get this straight. I and a bunch of my friends don't like someone. We lure them to a house on a false pretext and then beat the snot out of them. Then try and blame YouTube? What a load of BS.

Once again, personal responsibility is totally ignored. You Tube is not to blame, it is these thug girls. The parents hold some responsibility perhaps. It is hard to know without knowing more about the home life.

9. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Yes the girls bear most if not all of the responsibility for the act. Although right off the bat, when the parents start in with "It's the internet's fault" makes me tend to believe that the child in question rarely had to take responsibility for inappropriate actions since "(s)he's a good boy/girl, but insert TV, Video Games, the Internet make him/her act up."

10. TimJim macrumors 6502a

I don't know why this video is getting so much attention. There are tons of videos exactly like this, but this one seems to be special for some reason.

11. TheQuestion thread starter macrumors regular

Are you saying because it happens a lot, it should not be a concern?

12. thunderclap macrumors 6502a

People really need to take responsibility for their own actions. Blaming the media, games, whatever is just lame. If you are that easily influenced then you have some serious issues.

13. OnlyMarcusCannn macrumors regular

What pisses me off the most about this is that a lot of people are saying the victim had it coming because of her "talking trash" on the web.

WTF?????? Now, I may be speaking for myself (and I hope I'm not), but I've never wanted to brutally beat up someone who's said something foul to or about me online. Seriously. I mean, the victim is damaged for LIFE, and she deserved that from a few words she said online? I find that ridiculously appalling.

They need to be put away as ADULTS for YEARS. I hope I don't come off as exaggerating the fact--maybe it's because I'm a big brother of a girl and if this ever happened to her, I don't know what I'd do. I just think the suspects (including those who were not involved in the actual beating, but associated in general) made adult decisions and they should be justiced as such. :rolleyes:

Sheesh, it really puts a new perspective on the old "be aggressive" saying. :eek:

14. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

What pisses me off is:

1) We continue to have these 'should they be tried as adults?' debates. The real point is being missed. Juveniles are committing heinous crimes, and we need to come to grips with that reality. The courts have the ability to consider mitigating circumstances during the penalty phase. The original intent of segregating children from adults made sense.

a) Children's safety was definitely at risk, if they were confined with adults.​
    b) Children were often first-time offenders, and seldom required harsh sentences.​
    c) Children were seldom involved in capital crimes (except as victims).​

That is not the world we live in today. One girl is clearly caught on tape committing an act of assault and battery. And, it done repeatedly. I do not think age matters at all in this case. Nor should prior history. This behavior must be broken before the next victim fails to survive. I watched this several times, and I suspect she has done this, or similar acts before.

2) What pisses me off even more is when I learned that Dr. Phil posted a bailbond for her (or one of the other girls) in exchange for exclusive rights for their story and to have them on his show. :mad: What a low-life piece of sheep-dip.:p

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Dr Phil posted bond for her? Wow! He needs to get a grip. That girl needs jail time if anyone ever did. I find this to be extremely disturbing.

EDIT- e-mail has been sent to Dr. Phil expressing my disappointment.