Teenage hunter under fire for posing with dead animals on Facebook

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Michael Goff, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

http://www.today.com/news/teenage-h...ng-dead-animals-facebook-1D79876418?gt1=43001

Edit:

Don't you get it? She's killing endangered animals to promote conservation!

2. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Oh, the rural Americans will be all over how heroic this is.

I am not into hunting, I don't get the appeal. What do you get out of it?

Though I do support hunting up here in New York, the Deer population is freaking out of control. So if people want to hunt deer let em at it.

3. Michael Goff thread starter macrumors G3

Michael Goff

Oh, there is deer hunting around here because the populations expand beyond the ecosystem's capacity. That type of thing isn't bad. It's hunting endangered animals, and acting like you're a hero, that gets under my skin.

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

People post a lot of crap on Facebook. Don't like it don't follow her.

5. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

you need to learn how that is actually accomplished , all animals get "managed", by letting some "hunter" kill them while paying exorbitant fees, the rest of the animals in conservation get to live. I was against this UNTIL I learned what actually goes on.

6. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Agreed.

Last year

* walked into work *

Me: Anyone go hunting

* everyone puts their hand up *

GM: Did you hunt?

Me: nope! But I got a 10 point buck!

GM: With what?

Me: A volvo

And I indeed had it butchered and turned into deer jerky and steaks, hopefully I total another car this season ;)

7. Michael Goff thread starter macrumors G3

Michael Goff

Then explain how what she did is a good thing.

8. ZMacintosh macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

dont like whatcha see on the news? dont watch it. dont like whatcha see driving down the street dont look.
    dont like looking at that person stomping on a little kitten, dont look, it never happened if you dont look

9. Michael Goff thread starter macrumors G3

Michael Goff

That's a horrible way to think of things.

10. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

So I should follow every person in Facebook so I don't miss anything wether I want to or not?

Should we also set up cameras in every house so we can look for crime and stop it. You know if you see something say something.

If a see a person stomping a kitty I will do something about it. But I am not going to knock on every door asking if you are stepping on a kitten.

Facebook is where the diarrhea of the mind goes. There is a difference from seeing something walking down the street and looking the other way, from seeing something on Facebook and complaining about it.

----------

Again, do you follow everything on Facebook so you don't miss anything?

11. Michael Goff thread starter macrumors G3

Michael Goff

No, not enough time in the day. I also don't really go on Facebook anyway. The point is, though, that the "don't like it, don't look at it" mentality is horrible. It's up there with "if you don't like it, leave the country" in terms of just how ignorant it is.

12. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

try reading the post again, her "hunting fees" help support the rest of the animals, in essence those "hunters" are paying the conservation of the rest.

13. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

This girl obviously wants to get a rise out of people, now it is on the news. I say mission accomplished.

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

If this is true, then I don't see any problem with her hunts.

15. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Then donate the same amount of money to do so.

I hate hunting for sport. People who just want to kill an animal for fun are disgusting. Hunting for the meat? Fine. But just to put another head on your mantle? Just a legal killer( instead of killing people, they kill animals).

The pictures I found were a bit tasteless too. Opening the animals mouth, picking it up and cuddling with it like a cat, etc. You weren't victorious or didn't come out in front in a battle with the "beast". You shot it and now brag about it.

16. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

the only other way to "hunt" over there is to POACH, and as said, her fees help pay for the conservation of the rest of the animals.

----------

by all means spend YOUR money as YOU SEE fit, animals get MANAGED, that is keyword for KILLED when too many are not able to co-exist within the conservation camp.

17. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

I will not speak to the specific incident at hand, but I can point out a local problem in my state which requires hunters and other forms of population control.

When any species continues out of control, it becomes a threat to the environment. Take for instance the python population in the Everglades, the species is not in any way indigenous, yet since it's been introduced has caused significant damage to the Everglades. The populations of various small species have decreased due to the introduction of a new predator. Several years ago, one python was large enough it could and did consume an alligator, although it was suicide to do so.

18. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

[​IMG]

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/01/25/exotic-game-hunts-costs/1864667/

19. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

The moment she posed with the animals in tasteless positions, etc like she was triumphant in her battle to kill the "beast" her motives are clear. She was there to hunt for sport, not population control. She became a legal killer and using population control to justify herself to others to show she was being humane and kind, etc.

I get it the most efficient way to kill them is by shooting them. Shoot them and move on. If you're truly doing it for population control, you wouldn't treat it like some damn sport and pose and post victory pictures.

20. Michael Goff thread starter macrumors G3

Michael Goff

Yep she did.

I think most people have a bigger problem with the fact that she's bragging about it, not that she did it. There's no point bragging about killing a lion in Africa, it's not like it was a terribly difficult hunt or anything.

21. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I don't care why she did it, fact is it was LEGAL and it HELPS the rest of the animals there, no that is NOT the way I would hunt, hunting is what YOU make of it, I took a deer at 20 yards with bow & arrow, that is hunting to ME, what everyone else does is THEIR PROBLEM. I don't have to "like" what SHE did, it was legal & the rest of the animals benefit for it.

----------

you have no clue HOW she hunted.

22. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Mixed feelings over this.

On one hand, Facebook was wrong to delete her postings or photos. According to the story, she and her family shot these animals legally, under controlled and managed conditions. The animals were hunted humanely, and in a way that supports the local people in the areas where the animals lived.

On the other hand: I understand how many people find hunting morally and ethically reprehensible. I understand your dislike for any cruelty or harm coming to animals.

That said, as someone who consumes beef, chicken, pork and many other animal products - I think we have to accept that many of these creatures were placed on our planet to be used by other species - including ours. And provided the process is done humanely, responsibly, and sustainably - there is nothing wrong with it. If you don't want to see it, or know about it - fine. But don't pretend millions, if not billions, of animals die every day in the service of humans.

Lastly: Proud though this young woman might be about her hunting trips, it probably would have been wiser for her to maintain a lower profile about them. A little more sensitivity to the feelings of other people, while not necessarily denying who she was, would have served her better. And as for her TV show? I'm not sure how much appeal it is going to have with other people her age. Not many teenagers have a father who can afford to spend $1 million or more on their daughters' hobbies. And those that can: show jumping horses is less controversial

23. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

I'm not debating the legality of it.

I just hate people who hunt for sport. She is hiding behind the whole, " I did it to help save these animals" while doing tasteless poses like the one in the left hand corner cuddling with her kill like she was cuddling with her cat or small dog. She would at least redeem herself a bit if she came out and just said she did it for the fun and sport. The fact she hides behind the conservation movement to justify herself is just disgusting.

Attached Files:

24. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

ACtually, I do not feel they were in the wrong.

I do not care about the animals or anything.

But Facebook is a private company, they own the network, they own the servers, and user data. It is their right to do as they wish in this situation.

25. Michael Goff thread starter macrumors G3

Michael Goff

You're comparing a lion and a leopard? You do realize they're different animals, right?