Teens Blame Michelle Obama

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, May 5, 2014.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

http://news.yahoo.com/teens-blame-michelle-obama-nasty-tater-tot-free-130850939.html

it was a good idea that back fired.

2. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

From your article:

First off: Hardly neutral in this, let alone reputable; second, Congress approved it, so the blame is misplaced.

In short, debunked.

BL.

3. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

It's not just teens; my 9-year-old won't buy a cafeteria lunch anymore. He loved them when he was younger (back when the food was better).

My wife is a teacher in the same district, and some of the things she tells me they serve make me recoil in disgust. It's ridiculous to expect a significant number of kids to want to eat some of that stuff on a regular basis when even the adults don't like it. Most of it goes in the trash.

4. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

[​IMG]

School lunches have always been disgusting before and will be after this initiative. I do not miss school lunches. Tater tots, etc were disgusting. Low quality and processed beyond belief. Was the chicken patty even chicken?

5. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

TEENS are going to blame whoever they want, I never said they were correct in their blame.

had pizza a few times, not the end of the world, the burgers were always dry, nuggets sucked.

6. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Pizza at our school was just pizza sauce and "cheese" slapped on top of something they claimed was pizza dough....

I couldn't wait until senior year where they would allow us to go off school to get lunch. Would go to subway to get a decent sandwich.

7. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

In the last 50 years we have gone from a country of normal size people to blimps. Two fold problem- less activity and eating habits- huge portions, and junk food. Schools can do their part by serving generally healthy food in reasonable serving sizes. I could be wrong about this but somewhere in the mix, $$ is an issue-the lack of, or the lowest bid contractors.

Do they still do gym in high school?

8. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Oh yes, Brandl… Let's blame the Congress. I'm with you on that one. We'll blame the Senate and House… And the President who signed it. Guess what, it was the Democrats. It passed the House on 12/02/2010 when the Democrats had control. 247 Democrats voted for it and 17 Republicans. So, yes let's blame the Congress.

Personally, I've eaten plenty of school lunches this year. I try to go to my 11-year-old daughter's school at least once every two weeks, sometimes every week. I also eat with her 5-year-old sister in the same school. I've heard the kids and while the food is healthier, it doesn't do any good if it gets thrown away.

----------

Excellent question. Actually, gym and recess were something that most of us had every day. Now, those are actually limited. My daughter's school has recess for only 20 - 30 minutes after lunch period each day and gym is only one day or two days a week. It rotates with art, music, computer, etc. They call those periods "Specials".

9. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Well, they should be doing 1 hour period of gym each day putting emphasis on physical fitness IMO. Regarding the first part, have these kids developed an unhealthy addiction to junk vs healthy food? Or is the food just bad?

10. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Here's an interesting take on the issue from the National Congress of State Legislatures [bolding mine] ...

Looks like the republicans had a hand in the results after all.

And what is this thing about Obama never compromising? That's an example of an Obama compromise with Republicans right there.

11. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

My point: the First Lady has no place of authority to pass such a law or execute it. It is up to congress to do that. You are correct that congress mucked it up. As did the Ag department. But you also don't realize for those that are complaining about it, how many are NOT complaining about it?

Obama is at least doing something about it. Quayle couldn't even spell "potato". Bush couldn't even pronounce "nuclear". Laura Bush did work for children and women's health, but nothing for the food the children eat. Neither did Hillary, Barbara, Nancy, nor Rosalynn.

but let's blame Obama for doing something about it. Okay. Got it. :rolleyes:

Do you want our children to grow up fat, lazy, and out of shape? Because that is where our kids are headed for, especially if we don't do anything about their nutrition at all times of the day.

Good on you for doing something with your kids. Now, do something to help the other kids instead of just pointing fingers and playing the blame game.

DO SOMETHING.

For the record: my son is in pre-kindergarten right now at a local school, because he has an IEP for speech delay. His class exists from a federal grant given for the line of help he needs, and in that grant are funds allocated for meals. We can go to his class and oversee it at any time, including his breakfast and lunch breaks. Not only do I get the chance to sit and eat with them, I help to make and serve the food to them. I can oversee exactly what goes into those children's mouths and know that it is indeed healthy and what they need.

But you don't see me complaining about what is wrong, because I'm taking part in fixing the problem. so far, the bulk of those complaining are simply doing that and nothing more; you don't like it, do something about it. Be part of the solution. Until then, you're complacent in the problem, regardless of how much you complain about it.

BL.

12. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I can't fairly compare the public school food from prior years because this is my daughter's first year in public school. I can say that it is pretty bland. Most kids don't even take the side dishes except the one they make them take.

The way the school's kitchens work here is the kids are polled in the morning on the entree. Then when going through the line they take a drink and three more items. One of those items must be a fruit or vegetable. On drinks, they now only offer 1% milk, 2% chocolate milk and fruit drink. Kids weren't taking a fruit or veggie and kept holding up the line so now, they just put one right on the tray, no option on that. Then they can take two more.

They are saving a bunch on food but it doesn't help fill the kids up. Many kids bring their lunches but kids on free lunch? Not an option.

----------

Most Friday mornings when I drop the girls off, I help with breakfast. Many of the kids think it the best school meal going. I've even got my "certified volunteer" status.

13. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Good for you. You are working as part of the solution, and not as part of the problem. Now, let's get our other parents to do the same thing, and teach them right from wrong with their lunches, and we will be in business. But complaining about it and calling up political leaning sites isn't doing anything to fix the problem. Let's fix it, then make sure it doesn't happen again.

BL.

14. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Our lunches were amazing, fresh bread every day. Lasagna day was the best. Freshly made garlic bread, I can still taste it.

15. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

But your in Canada... Michelle didn't change your lunch menu.

16. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

Michelle didn't change any menus. :p

17. stroked Suspended

stroked

Back in the 70s, my school lunches were actually very good. Of course the cooks, were actually cooks.

18. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I think a portion of the problem is how we politicize everything. The intention here is good. It's not a bad thing to ensure some level of nutrition. It seems to be poorly implemented though. It's unfortunate that it's easier to make junk food palatable than it is to translate healthy food into something that meet the cost and preparation constraints of school lunch program. I might also argue that just keeping fat and calorie content constrained doesn't necessarily mean the food is healthy. At the time I was a kid the food served was basically processed crap, including tater tots and greasy pizza. I don't see why that should continue. Ideally they would try to find something healthy that works rather than make such efforts into another partisan topic.

19. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Wish I could say the same thing. To this day, I still wonder why corn was a required side for pizza. I know they had to throw a starch in there, but couldn't they have gone with bread? Or french fries? Or...anything else that'd go along well with pizza besides corn?

A very large portion. Rather than attempting to fix a problem that obviously needs fixing, some are more intent on playing yet another round of the pass the blame to the Obamas game.

20. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

He's an ex-pat. Moved to Canada from the US.

BL.

21. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

That is part of the problem. We politicize stupid things seemingly for the sake of argument.

22. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Who is "they"? :confused: I just pointed out that the food used to be much better.

And when I was a kid growing up, it was downright good. Spaghetti with meat sauce and a fresh yeast roll, a chicken drumstick with green beans and corn, meat loaf with tomato gravy and mashed potatoes - and I was the "weird" kid who preferred white milk to chocolate. :p I had no idea at the time how well off we were with school lunches, not knowing then what the future would have in store.

23. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Grew up in the sticks of Kansas. Our cooks were all kid's mothers, but damn could they cook some food. :D I guess it helps when you only have to cook for 118 kids.

We didn't have pop in our cafeteria though, milk or chocolate milk.

24. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

That's the biggest problem really, schools don't "cook" anymore. They reheat, brown, mix and and slather, but most do not cook. My local school district has been buying local as much as possible. The high school also has a student run vegetable farm and the district buys a lot of what it produces. Most schools have a modest vegetable plot and it has been proven again and again that kids involved in the growing of vegetables are much more likely to eat them.

Jamie Oliver had a US tv show based in the "fattest town" in America. Somewhere in WV, maybe? Anyway, there was a great deal of resistance to providing good food although the students seemed to be mostly ok with what was served. The problem as with so many issues in the us, is that the path of least resistance was chosen because it was cheaper although long term issues were not factored into the equation.

Where I grew up in Montana, the food was horrible. Almost none of it "cooked". My hatred of canned vegetables probably comes from all the mushy peas, over sweetened creamed corn and soggy beans we were served. YECH!!!!!

25. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Yep. That was Huntington, West Virginia, although I think the "fattest town" stat is actually derived from data from the Huntington-Ashland-Ironton metropolitan area, which includes 4 counties in W.Va., 1 in Ohio, and 2 in Kentucky.