Telecom plan - student in Canada and US

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by robbevh, Jun 2, 2012.

1. robbevh macrumors newbie

Hi guys

I'm a student from Belgium who's going to study in Vancouver for about 4 months, after which I'll be an intern at a company in the US for about 15 weeks.
    Before I leave Belgium I'm looking around for the best solution to communicate with both American and Belgian friends.

I'll bring my Belgian iPhone 4S with me (Unlocked) and another unlocked cellphone.
    One cellphone will be used to keep my belgian number active. The iPhone will be used for an "american" number.

Do you guys have any idea what's the best (GSM) provider for me?

- Prepaid would be the best solution I suppose, as I'm only in north-america for about 8 months... Or maybe a contract without a fixed term?

- Is there a provider that has a good offer both for canada and the US?

- I think it would be interesting to have a data-plan on my iPhone. This way I can use iMessage, Whatsapp, Viber, Skype... with al my european friends..

I've already read a lot about this on the internet, but the opinion of you guys would be great!

Kindest regards

Rob

P.S. I know this probably isn't the best place to ask this question but didn't know a better place than this one, sorry =$

2. nephron8 macrumors regular

Hey,
    I have my sister who is student in usa and we have got simple mobile for her.
    We pay 57$ for unlimited calls and text along with 2gb Internet.

Check out straight talk and you Should choose AT&T as their 3G frequency match with iPhone.

If you choose t mobile based mvno, you will be stuck at edge speed,so I suggest choose AT&T based mvno.

3. robbevh thread starter macrumors newbie

Thx! I'll check it out. Isn't it quite expensive to call between US and Canada all the time?

I was wondering. If I have an american number but a special US&Canada plan, do my canadian friends have to pay more?