TeliaSonera to bring iPhone to the Nordic and Baltic countries

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacinJosh, May 26, 2008.

1. Anghammarad macrumors member

And for the geographically challenged, the Baltic and Nordic countries in this case include:

Sweden
    Norway
    Denmark
    Finland
    Estonia
    Latvia
    Lithuania

No info in the pressrelease wheter or not they are the exclusive provider

2. lindstrom macrumors member

3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Rehash in Norwegian: http://digi.no/php/art.php?id=772402

Excellent that it will be Netcom (which is owned by TeliaSonera) that sells it in Norway... that means it won't be Telenor! :D

Confirmed by Netcom:
    https://netcom.no/omnetcom/pressesenter.html?view=side&katalog=pressemeldinger&filnavn=270508

4. kristoffer4 macrumors 6502a

kristoffer4

5. ruutiveijari macrumors regular

Well this CONFIRMS iPhone 3G is coming since only 3G phones are sold thru operators here. To be more precise the Finnish law doesn't allow anything other than 3G phones to be bundled with a subscription.

6. frosse macrumors 6502a

****. I live in sweden and dont want ****** Telia. I want telenor.

7. Evangelion macrumors 68040

It will be interesting to see how the iPhone fares in Finland against Nokia... Nokia has about 85% market-share here :).

8. bogg macrumors 6502

bogg

Omogen reply till omogen kommentar:

Telenor suger apballe...

Immature reply to an immature comment:

Telenor sucks monkey balls...

9. Arbaz macrumors member

This makes little, if no sense at all. NetCom sucks, and everyone knows it. Telenor is known for it's excellent Turbo-3G network and cheap prices, whereas their competitors in the face of TeliaSonera who own NetCom and only starting to roll out that infrastructure. And seeing as that iPhone heavily relies on high speed mobile networking, I am highly disappointed that Apple were dumb enough to hand that contract over to TeliaSonera and not Telenor.

10. bogg macrumors 6502

bogg

But instead TeliaSonera owns Telenor when it comes to coverage in Sweden, Denmark, Finland and the Baltic countries...

My guess is that Apple sees this region as one market and not several smaller ones, and thus Telia wins as they have the best "reach"

11. ruutiveijari macrumors regular

Same feeling here. Sonera (as it's known in Finland) is the single most crappiest operator here. The prices are high and the service low.

12. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Nah... Netcom has been busy expanding their turbo-3G coverage: http://ny-dekning.netcom.no/CoverixWww/

And they're generally cheaper than Telenor on calls and - especially - data. Even the Telenor telemarketers, that call me regularly, back off when I tell them I'm a Netcom (earlier Tele2) customer and interested in a nice data deal... :D

13. frosse macrumors 6502a

What ever, I'll prolly import one and hack it to Telenor instead.

14. skullmonkey macrumors newbie

Same disappointment here hat its gonna be Sonera in Finland. Even worse, its gonna be ONLY for Sonera customers according to an article in Helsingin Sanomat. That sucks bigtime :/

15. Arbaz macrumors member

Likewise, since it will most certainly be technically identical to the NetCom version and will work just as well. The only difference will probably be that the imported version will not have annoying NetCom logos and menus everywhere.

16. frosse macrumors 6502a

I doubt that NetCom or any other company will be allowed to use custom menuses and logos inside the iphone.

17. iWizzard macrumors regular

I will buy it from the stats even if it is available here in Sweden.

If the prise setting is the same as for IPod touch an Iphone 16 GB will cost about 4500 sek or $ 760*. Compared to $540 / 3190 sek in the US.

Calculated using NY 8% VAT, and Swedish 25% VAT.

Luckily the US dollar is ridiculesly low now. 1 USD cost 5,9 sek. In 2001 it cost 11 sek to for one dollar.

18. Arbaz macrumors member

you're completely right, even with shipping price and the tax that will get slapped on during import. its still loads cheaper to buy most electronics on ebay and the such.

19. Lennnukas macrumors newbie

At this moment, in Estonia there is 1 operator who has that kind of an agreement with apple, BUT my inside info says that there has been offers for retailers to ship iPhones. No news about price yet.

20. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Fortunately for you, unlocking an iPhone has become very very easy.

21. frosse macrumors 6502a

Yeah I know, isnt it great :D

22. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

Apple did it because they figure that Sweden is the most important country of the bunch; it has the highest population and it's the most hi-tech crazy of them all. And as others have pointed out earlier, Telenor sucks donkey balls in Sweden. They has decent coverage in high-density areas like Stockholm, but as soon as you put one foot in rural areas your phone is dead.

Telia and Telenor could have been partners but the Norwegians were hopeless to negotiate with (I believe Norway was referred to as "the last Soviet state" by the Swedish representatives), so Telia teamed up with Finnish Sonera instead. This was bound to come back and bite Norway in the ass at some point, and I guess the iPhone is it.

Apple's decision may suck for Norway, but for Sweden and Finland it rocks, it's OK-ish for the Danes, and the dirt-poor Baltic countries don't care anyway as they still use tin cans and a long string for their communication needs.

23. storage macrumors 6502

The Swedish state should expropriate TeliaSonera. Telecommunications were much better (more stable, better access in rural areas and cheaper) when it was subject to public control.