Tell Me Again Why Paying Full Price is Better than Getting it Cheap

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nostresshere, Sep 10, 2012.

1. nostresshere macrumors 68030

People keep talking about hating the 2 year contract. And you should just pay full price for the phone. I must just be slow or something.

Contract, or full price - my monthly cost for SERVICE is the same.

I have been on ATT for 15 years and have no problem staying with them for another 2 years.

So, please smarten me up.

2. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

If you use a service like StraightTalk with an unlocked iPhone your monthly plan will be cheaper than AT&T and utilize the same service.

3. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Some countries have discounts if you bring your own device and aren't using the subscription to subsidize.

In the US? Useless, make full use of the subsidy.

4. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

I might be paying full price so I can stay on my grandfathered unlimited plan

5. Azzin macrumors 68040

In the UK, we have a vast array of choice when it comes to SIM Only, 1 month contract deals.

So by buying the phone outright, you have the ability to change deals as a better value one arrives, on a monthly basis.

If you're locked into a 2 year contract at "x" amount of £s/$s per month, then, well.... you're locked into a 2 year contract at "x" amount of £s/$s per month!

6. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

No visual voicemail or LTE (new iPhone).

7. Big.Mac.Daddy macrumors 6502a

T-mobile U.S.A. discounts your plan if you bring your own device.

Of course there's always prepaid to get an even bigger discount.

8. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

like others said, if you live in the UK it is different....I think that is mostly what you are seeing on the forums. If you plan on staying with att and have for 15 years, the discount price is a no brainer.

9. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

1) Full price to keep your unlimited data plan.

2) Full price to get an unlocked phone, if you travel a lot.

10. Reddmanz macrumors regular

For example, both me and my girlfriend have a 4S.

I got mine on a 2year contract paying £36pm for unlimited everything (calls,text and data). I also had to pay £100 upfront for the phone.

My girlfriend bought her 4s brand new from Apple for £499 and pays £10pm on a 1 month contract for (pretty much) unlimited everything.

So overall I'm going to have paid £964 where as she will pay £739 over the 24 months. And plus she can cancel/switch her contract at just a months notice.

11. nostresshere thread starter macrumors 68030

To clarify. We live in the U.S. and will not be moving to UK.

12. wacky4alanis macrumors 6502

Has it been verified that we will have to forfeit our unlimited data plans if we get the new iPhone subsidized? Or is that speculation?

13. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

That is an absolute on Verizon from personal experience as of 6 business days ago and the move was not from an iPhone or to an iPhone (HTC to Samsung non-LTE to LTE device).

As for AT&T, I gave up my grandfathered plan to get out from under a company that could not provide me adequate coverage after being with them for 10+ years.

That said, I would have to pay full price for my phone on VZW if I want to keep my unlimited plan.

14. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

As far as I know, for AT&T it is not verified yet. We'll know soon.

15. bogatyr macrumors 65816

On ATT, I would buy it discounted. On Verizon (in a 4G LTE area), I would buy it full price. Difference is that on Verizon you can get unlimited tethering 4G still if you have an unlimited data plan. That alone is worth the cost (to me at least).

16. Reddmanz macrumors regular

I understand that, just explaining why for some people it does make perfect sense.

17. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

Because not everyone is you. Got it?

18. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Some people want to pay the full price so they'll be eligible next year to get the iPhone 5S for $199.

19. mpossoff macrumors 68020

How will you lose your unlimited plan if you don't pay full price?

20. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

It's personal preference. Don't believe everything you read online. Anytime you take ANYTHING away from people they complain. Even if the majority of them never used it (i.e. unlimited data), they will still complain.

I personally don't care. I use about .3 gig per month and my wife uses about the same.

Bring on the 2GB tiered data plan. Even if we TRIPLE our current average use, we'll still come in under.

Plus it'll save me $10-15 per month.

Again I'll ask (as I have in other posts): Who's in the wrong here? Is Verizon (or any other carrier) wrong for taking away our unlimited data or am I the dummy for paying $50/month up till now so my wife and I can use "unlimited" data when we never even come close?

It's like going to an "all you can eat" buffet every day for lunch... eventually you'll realize that there are only a few people who actually get their money's worth out of the cost.

I AM a little ticked off cause I really *have* been carrying unlimited data (at least for my line) under the assumption that I'd be able to continue carrying it and still get a subsidized phone. Otherwise I probably would have been on a tiered data plan all along.

And it is a little bit crappy that I'm going from TWO lines with unlimited data to now, basically 1GB per line and I'm only saving about $10-$15 per month... I'd like to see a little bit better pricing for the capped plans...

21. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

If you like ATT and plan to stay with them, unless you travel outside the US a lot and couldn't get them to unlock it for you. It'd actually be a disadvantage to buy contact free $$$ wise.

On the flip, if you're on the fence. Buying on contract means ETF in the future.

I decided to leave ATT last month and go to straight talk, which is an ATT MVNO so I get the same service except now unlimited for half the price.

22. andross77 macrumors regular

Verizon passed a contract rule that after the launch of the Samsung Galaxy S3, if you are on an unlimited plan and want to keep it, you cannot get device subsidies anymore. So that got a LOT of people to upgrade right then for it.

I got my SGS3 for $250 instead of $650 (others got it even cheaper), but if nothing changes, and i want to upgrade in 2 years, i need to pay the full retail price or i will lose my unlimited.

And belive me, unless Verizon FORCEFULLY takes my unlimited, I am keeping it forever. It's already been worth it's weight in gold the past month. The extra money I would save on the device subsidy would easily be outdone by the overage charges for my tethering (which i pay Verizon for) or the added Comcast internet bill if i need to bring home wifi back into the picture.

----------

Again, it seems like you and others are thinking only about your personal situations while discussing the business plan of a company that serves 90,000,000 customers. That doesn't make sense.

Yes, with your current usage (which is extremely minimal) you should be on a capped/shared data plan and save money. But for people that use smartphones for media and "smart" activities rather than just calling/texting/and checking email twice a day, unlimited is the best thing ever.

Heck, I have N.O.V.A. 3 installed on my phone and when they decide to fix a few bugs or change the UI and they push out an update that is 1,700mb that I use on Verizon's LTE network! If i had to make sure I was at a wifi spot everytime i wanted to update my apps, use skype, watch netflix, or listen to Pandora, that would be annoying. It restricts the freedom that cell phones are supposed to give you.

So yes, YOU should not have been paying $50 a month so that your wife can check her living social app and facebook app once a day (at least what my wife does :). But not everyone uses their phones like you or your wife and some people actually get an AMAZING value from paying $50/mo for unlimited data.

23. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

The iPhone doesn't necessarily have to be unlocked to use on Straight Talk.

As long as the new iPhone is supported by ST, I will be paying full price as I won't be signing a contract.

24. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

WOW!!!

Carriers in the US rip us off BIG TIME. New contracts without a FAN discount for individuals cost $85 + per month (Unlimited Talk and Text with 1 GB data for $85)

ADDITIONAL: Right now: £10 = $12.77

25. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

The carrier.

Look back to when unlimited was introduced.

2007 $20 unlimited. I actually opted out of data for a while back then when it was still possible.

2008 $30 unlimited required for 3GS.

2010 $15 200MB $25 2GB required

Prior to 2010 Unlimited was the only option. If you already paid $30 for unlimited, most didn't give it up for a $5 savings. If you were a light user the $15 plan made sense.

Unlimited data was offered and required when few used a lot of data.