Tell me why the iphone is so much better then any other phone out there.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Clipse79, Sep 24, 2007.

1. Clipse79 macrumors regular

I have seen it, its slick looking and has internet access. Give me your reasons why this thing is a must have and beats out other top notch cell phones. Besides being the latest TMX Elmo, how long will this phone be cool before we all just move on.....

2. whistler72 macrumors member

i respect your post. There are days when I feel the same thing. But I am happy with my iPhone. I wish it were an Open phone and allow me to use my own ringtones and applications. But when it comes to email and web browsing, the IPhone is amazing.

3. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

I think you should take your statement and wait til after Christmas and see how the cool streak goes...

As for me, I know for a fact that the iPhone will be around and will not be topped by any other cell phone for years to come... and if it does, Apple will surely top the next iteration with someone no one will be able to compare with.

I dare you to name a phone at the current / near future that can compete with the iPhone's functionality.

4. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

5. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

For me.

Syncs with my MBP. Syncs with iTunes. Battery life.

Combined my iPod and Treo into one device with longer battery life. Perfect phone FOR ME.

It won't be the perfect phone for everyone.

6. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

I dont think that your decision should have anything to do with the coolness factor of the phone. Next month motorola could introduce a phone 10x better and you would have to live with your iPhone decision. I love the phone. Its thin, has great technology, and some great features, but it is in no way the best phone for everyone, especially with some of its missing features such as MMS messaging if that is soemthing that is important to you.

7. Clipse79 thread starter macrumors regular

I think my biggest hesiation about the phone is being in Canada and a so so hotspot city that the one major feature(internet) might be void to me...

8. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Go into an Apple Store and play with one for a while. That should answer your questions better than any of us could.

9. kbrain2929 macrumors regular

kbrain2929

Personally... what makes the iPhone diffrent... IT'S FROM APPLE!!! That's 51% of the reason I bought one! (After price drop :D) :apple:

10. Bernie-Mac macrumors 65816

11. tsvb macrumors 6502

12. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Honestly just go out and hang with someone's iPhone for an hour. You'll get it.

My friend just bought the new Motorola Q and it does everything the iPhone does and more. Quite a bit more (from what he tells me). He was so excited how the internet works on it, how he can watch you tube videos, etc. Then I asked him to do something on my iPhone, and before he knew it he was trying a lot of the features out. He couldn't believe how everything "just worked" and worked a hell of a lot better than his phone.

My favorite feature for the iPhone: Not really any specific feature, but more Apple's ability to create these small little details that you would never think of that make like amazing. I actually can't think of anything right now because it is very subtle.

13. mr.666 macrumors member

being able to "flick" through contacts and playlists is tech beyond any phone on the market.
    from an ergo standpoint does any one else think that all this "Pressing" that is done on cell phone arrow keys and buttons will eventually cause joint impact issues ala "blackberry thumb".
    iPhones flicking and zooming require less "hits" on the screen to get you where your going.

14. midtoad macrumors newbie

This is an important consideration. If you will be paying for iPhone usage out of your own pocket, the only feasible internet access is via WiFi. If you wanted to do some web browsing and looked at, oh, say 20 graphics-rich web pages per day, thus using 500 MB per month, it would cost you $210 on Rogers (or more if you used a lower-priced plan and went over the lower limit). If you got carried away with downloading music from the iTunes store and used up 1 GB of bandwidth, you'd be charged $2700! Being sodomized in prison sounds like a more appealing option than this....

Meanwhile on Verizon in the US it looks like you can have 5 GB of usage for only $60 per month. The Canadian rates are thus potentially hundreds of times higher. So much for dollar parity.

15. calvy macrumors 65816

The biggest reason in my opinion is that there's not another portable device out there with a screen as nice looking as the iPhone's. Not even the iTouch's apparently. :)

Seriously, we all know your phone can do google maps too. But can it do it on a big a$$ screen like this and move around with your fingers easily like this? Heck no.

Can you browse the web? Oh yeah, you can. Even faster. But it's hard to see isn't it? Hmm, that big screen sure would be handy again, wouldn't it? and the easy interface for zooming and such?

And why should I sell you on it? Like I give a damn.

16. Clipse79 thread starter macrumors regular

I sure hope you can bring in your own MP3 library....I have enough and buy from the store, borrow from friends etc... instead of itunes....If not then forget this phone..

17. megfilmworks macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

I wouldn't hold my breathe.

18. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

because its like it becomes an extension of your body. its really hard to explain, it just does. i used to have nightmares about falling, and now i have dreams about dropping my iphone from a great height. i had one last night, and it was all cracked and scratched up. i was so sad, but then i woke up and my iphone was happily sitting on its little dock next to my bed and everything was better. haha, might sound crazy, but it does change the way you do everything on a mobile device and how connected you are with the world.

i love having google calendar email me my itinerary every morning and reading it in my first class on my iphone. i guess you can do that on other phones, but then again i can also look up a lot of the stuff i need to do for that day, like locations and phone numbers, etc. i can go on blackboard and take online quizzes between classes, while listening to music, then when a call comes in i can quickly answer it, and when another friend calls with the flick of the finger add that person to a conference call to talk about what we're doing friday night. i can get pdf attachments of proofs from the company i do graphics design for and start sketching out some suggested changes they need made between class. i can go into the art gallery and snap a photo of my work and immediately email it to my mom who can't drive down to school to see it. i can get turn by turn directions on how to get to the UPS store to ship my xbox 360 back for 3rlod repairs. i can easily watch my own movies on the airplane. check the outside weather within seconds of arrival.

i could go on and on and on...but i won't. the iphone is just amazing. any time i try using another phone its just not the same. i find myself trying to flick at the screen to no avail. plus i still have people coming up to me all the time on campus who want to play with it. it still has the wow factor, the cool factor, the "omg i have to have it right now!" factor. just buy one for yourself and you'll see what i mean. just like that katie girl on the iphone blog said, i've sold so many iphones, i deserve a commission! seriously though, i don't care if you really get one or not, but i do think you won't regret it.

19. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Of course you can. They are referring to the iTunes WiFi store, where you can download music over WiFi. This could eat into your download limits if you have them.

20. Clipse79 thread starter macrumors regular

I`m being more and more convinced. Anyone wanna buy my w810i =P

21. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

yep! you can import any of your mp3 files. you have to use itunes to transfer them though. itunes makes it easy to organize and get all the album art for all your ripped cds and downloaded mp3s. i even ripped my dvds and converted them with a program called handbrake so i have them on my iphone. i have 2gb of music, 9 movies (for me about 5gb, compress them at 480x320, the native screen size), and a bunch of pictures on mine.

22. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

i really wanted to buy one of those after the disappointment which was my motorola rokr e1 with "itunes" lol. i had never owned an ipod and that was nearly enough to turn me off altogether. but my friends always raved about their ipods, and i'm so glad i got an iphone. now i'm being sucked into the whole world of the mac. i'm probably going to buy a macbook pro in a few months now.....geeze! beware if you get an iphone and don't already have other apple products you will want MORE after you buy it!! my windoze laptop just doesn't cut it anymore. i feel like i am defiling my iphone by attaching them together.

23. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

Having just switched from a Sprint Moto Q, I can tell you that the iPhone is a far better device (for me). Did my Q do SlingBox, something the iPhone can't do? Yes - but try watching SB or changing channels on the Q's tiny screen.

My experience with the iPhone has been similar to that of my recent Mac conversion. After living with cumbersome awkward devices for too long, the iPhone works with an elegance and simplicity unrivaled in the windows mobile or Treo world.

24. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

For me, it's no TMX Elmo, because at the time TMX Elmo was the IN toy, a cool ting to have or to give your kid.

But see, the iPhone is simply not cool. Or at least I sure as hell haven't seen people THINKING it's cool. In fact, it seems to me that this is the phone people love to hate. They see me with it, and exclaim things like "I heard that phone sucks! I can't beleive you paid that much for that thing! It doesn't have 3G, and I have x device that's FAR cheaper and does SO MUCH MORE! Oh yeah, how about you cut and paste this URL, oh wait you can't, YUKYUKYUK!"

But frankly, I don't give a damn. And I (not so politely) let them know that I don't give a damn. :)

I'll even admit this much: When the iPhone was announced and when it came out, my reaction was intiially similar: "Christ! Why would ANYONE pay THAT much money for THAT?!" And I steadfastly refused to even pick one up, because I know that my existing solution was perfectly fine for me.

I kinda had a similar reaction in 2001, when the iPod was first released. You don't want to know what I was using before my iPod. Really, you don't.

Anyway, just like the iPod, I did ultimately run across one in a store and I used it for a while. Initially I didn't like it very much because I had trouble with the virtual keyboard, and despite my loud complaints ("This keyboard sucks! I can't type with my thumbs! Why would ANYONE use this?") an annoyed but still very patient Apple Store rep showed me how to use my index finger.

45 minutes later and $599 poorer, I walked out of the store with an iPhone. Never before has a smug Apple Store employee deserved the smirk on his face as mch as he did.

Even so, the iPhone is still NOT "cool," and not something I proudly flaunt and flash because it just attracts gawkers. So, why do I have an iPhone? Because *I* like it.

It does what I want it to do, and it does them well. The calendar sync is great, as is Mail. This is the first phone that I can say I'm HAPPY to surf the web on, especially considering that WiFi really is a lot faster than 3G in many respects. Though when the 3G model comes out, I migt sell this one and get it. Maybe.

It really is hard to describe, but the interface and implementation of the features is something no other phone that I've used - and I've used many - can rival. At the risk of sounding cliche, it IS a lot like driving a BMW... every other phone looks like a Yugo by comparison.

If it were up to me, I'd never use any MP3 player other than an iPod. And now, I don't think I'd willingly switch to any phone that doesn't run OS X. :)

25. G4R2 macrumors 6502a

Are you looking for a phone or are you looking for a fashion accessory?

The iPhone certainly is very fashionable, but long after it's style begins to wear out it will still be a functional device that performs a lot of tasks other than just being a phone.

I receive and make a great number of calls per day and I can approximate that my usage of this device for other tasks, such as accessing the internet/checking e-mail/watching a news podcast/ listening to music, greatly exceed the amount of phone use I get out of it. In other words, yes, it has a phone function and that's important to me but I don't use it just as a phone. I can't say that about any other phones I've had, mostly because the battery life on previous devices wasn't able to sustain those functions even if they were technically capable of performing them.

Additionally, regardless what feature is being used it is a pleasure to use. The interface is by far the snappiest of any other device I've owned. Unlike WM devices, the iPhone is actually useable and doesn't get bogged down.

And finally, there aren't any credible competitors that possess the iPhones memory storage or screen.