Tell me your tales of your switch or migration to OSX

Discussion in 'macOS' started by djbrickhouse, May 18, 2007.

?

what did you use before OSX?

1. Nothing, I started computing with OSX

4 vote(s)
    6.2%
  2. MacOS, System 9 or earlier

16 vote(s)
    24.6%
  3. Windows

41 vote(s)
    63.1%
  4. Some flavour of Unix.

4 vote(s)
    6.2%
  1. djbrickhouse macrumors member

Hey all,

I am intrigued by OSX having recently retirned to a mac since I had an LCII with System 7 and my prother had one of the first PPC machines. Since then I used Windows and NeXT.

So, I missed the switch from System 9 to OSX. I am intrigured to hear about how that was for those mac people who have been around a while, seeing as how OSX is quite different.

Also, I would like to know where you came from before using OSX....

Thanks, I hope to generate some good tales!

2. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

My story isn't hugely eventful. I worked for the IT Dept of my college. They were about to throw out some Sawtooths (450Mhz G4 Towers), so I took one home. I was using it as a backup machine to my Dell laptop, but when my Dell was stolen out of my apartment, the OS X machine became my full-time box.

Haven't gone back since....since after getting the OS X box, I was really just waiting for an excuse not to need the Dell anymore anyway :)

3. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

I voted "started with OSX" because that's what happened on my home computer. I had a two window's boxes over the course of 6 years, and I just got an iMac this past December.

However, we used Macs with System 7 on them at school. We still have a couple floating around the school, actually. They run Photoshop better than our current Gateways with 98. :mad:

4. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I got a Dell as my first computer and after about a year I knew that the next one would be a mac. I later decided on a laptop, and was going to get the iBook after my computer crapped out (I knew it would be soon, I had had so many problems), then the announcement of the Intel switch came, and I waited ages and eventually got the Macbook when it came out :)

5. Benjamin macrumors 6502a

Benjamin

I started with 6 on an SE and moved to 9.2 then to OS X beta.. then the rest is history.

6. thegrifman macrumors regular

I used windows since 3.11 and stuck with it due to my earlier love of gaming and the aesthetics of prior versions of Mac OS really turned me off. When I went back to school last fall I decided I needed something that I could rely on and that I wouldn't have to spend a Saturday every few months reinstalling the OS to make it run like it should. I started saving up and in February I bought my Macbook Pro and haven't looked back.

7. Shotgun OS macrumors 6502a

I started out using OS 9 on my iMac G3; it was the first computer I ever owned. My father ended up purchasing the brand new G4 Tower, which is when I first started to use OSX.

8. neven macrumors 6502a

I've had several Windows PCs and I generally looked down on Mac users. In college, our graphic design lab was Mac-only, and I used them somewhat begrudgingly. However, I was finding myself quite pleased with the software. My only remaining complaint was that they were expensive and that I couldn't "build" one myself.

I bought a 3g iPod when those came out because, despite my kvetching, I had to admit that they looked the easiest and most fun to use. I was very happy with it - to the extent that I started visiting forums like this and browsing apple.com frequently.

From that point on it was just a matter of convincing myself that I could afford a Mac. So I guess you could say that my college experience and the "iPod halo effect" switched me over.

I think it goes without saying that I have absolutely no intention of going back to Windows now.

9. Ludde macrumors regular

I started back with Dos and Win95 and worked my way to XP with my homebuilt computer. I switched parts in it a couple of times and thought I was pretty content with XP. When I was planning my exchange year to Korea this year, I realized that I had to get a notebook and since the technologies in mobile computing has come quite far, I actually found it desirable for the first time in my life.

My mother had been using a Mac at home for ages and I'd been using it a bit but only recently gotten interested in getting one. I sat down and thought about what I was actually doing with my computer and came down to that I was doing more troubleshooting than what's good for me(the devilish part of it was that I had almost come to see troubleshooting as productive)and that I wasn't really interested in resource-hogging games anymore. On top of that Vista made me want to throw up, so I decided that if there was any good time to take the big step, this was it. I bought my Macbook in January and I've never looked back. No real troubleshooting, the system in the background, the high-quality free software, the tasteful design, exposé...everything is more than worth any price premium.

I've gone Mac, and I'm never going back!

10. djbrickhouse thread starter macrumors member

Cool, anyone want to share how they found the migration from the classic mac os to OSX?

I expect it was a big change, no?

Was there any backlash?

11. crarcher macrumors newbie

I started with the Mac Classic or Classic II. Always had at least one Mac since.

A friend of mine had one and justed loved it so I went with one.

I have owned many pc's also but they never last as long.

12. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

Wow. Apparently I am the only one that came from Linux.

Started off with a Windows laptop, moved to Red Hat 5, Ubuntu, then to OS X.

13. Frankf300 macrumors regular

Frankf300

My computing days started with Windows 95. Back then I was little and assumed Windows was all there was. I used 98, XP and until a few years back never even knew there was a company named Apple :eek: . I bought my first Apple product, an iPod Mini. After having so many problems with my Windows laptop I realized I had to make the switch over to Mac. Originally, I wanted a Macbook, but money was tight so I got the iBook in my sig running Panther. The switch over was so smooth. i had anticipated myself having a rough time switching from an OS I knew so well to OS X. But, OS X is so user friendly and easy to learn that I had the basics plus some down pat in no time. Needless to say, I don't see myself going back to Windows anytime soon. :)

14. hopejr macrumors 6502

The first computer I ever used was a mac, but I was only about 4 years old and can't remember exactly what model it was. I think it was 128k Macintosh. I only used it for about 10 minutes.
    At school, once a week we got to use BBC Master/Acorn microcomputers that had some funny BASIC ROM in them (you put the 3.5" floppy in, and press shift+break to boot it - I don't know if anyone else here has seen them, but they were very popular at schools in Western Australia in the late 80's early 90's). Then I got a 286 with DOS, went to a 486 with Windows 95, through Win98, WinMe, and Windows XP/2003. I was exposed to Macs while in my school years, but in high school we had PC's and the computer teacher looked down at Macs so that brushed off on me. I thought they were interesting because they were different, but didn't want to use them because they were "pathetic" (that was back in the classic days).
    While at university I was exposed to Linux, and used that along with Windows XP. I needed a laptop and was looking around at different brands, and found out that OS X was UNIX based (I instantly thought Linux). I started looking at Macs, and even though my first laptop was still a PC, I sold that after 8 months and picked up a new iBook G4 rev b. Since then I've only had Macs and don't want to go back to Windows (I use it at work and find it limits me). I've also converted a few people since then too!

15. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

there were complaints from classic users about popular os 9 features that didn't migrate to mac os x. things like labels, spring-loaded folders and the disappearance of the :apple: menu items. i've been with apple since sytem 7.0, and mac os x was so different; i really liked that. it didn't crash, it multitasked without drama, and it was so pretty! it was completely new, but it was completely welcome (and needed!).

16. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

17. darkcurse macrumors 6502a

darkcurse

DOS > Win 3.11 > Windows 9x flavors (including ME *gasp*) > Windows XP > OSX ( I absolutely <3 OSX *^_^*)