Tell me yours doesn't rattle...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pauliewa, Sep 22, 2012.

1. pauliewa macrumors newbie

When I tap the area between the apple logo and the camera, I can hear a quite disconcerting loose, rattling. A friend of mine has the same and I'd like to get a sense of just how many of us have this issue...

2. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

3. Coopa88 macrumors newbie

Mine rattle there as well. I noticed it last night but I haven't thought much of it.

4. FYDave macrumors member

5. mzjin macrumors 6502

mzjin

Hold the power button steady and see if it still rattles.

I know mine (now returned) had a loose battery that thudded around, until I pressed the whole phone tightly together. Wasn't about to keep a phone I had to squeeze to get the battery fixed to the chassis.

6. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Anyone who tries to tell you rattling is normal is a liar.

7. zeyank macrumors member

Yep

Mine does as well, pretty sure it is the power button being a bit loose. No big deal :D

Edit: Maybe not the power button. :p

8. formerpc macrumors 6502

I made sure to hold the power and volume buttons to make sure it wasn't them and I do hear a small rattle. But my iPh4 did this too so I'm not sure I need to be concerned.

9. richpuer macrumors 6502

I hear it too. It's the toggle switch u are hearing. Ip4 was the same. Very very faint sound.

10. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

I believe the slight rattle is from the vibrator device. Check the iFixIt tear down review for more details. (They discuss this.)

11. i-John macrumors 6502a

i-John

It's a new Apple feature. Rattling comes free.

12. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

I don't think it's the toggle switch. I have a solid rubber case on that holds that button in place but I still hear the slight "rattle".

As I mentioned above, I think it's the vibrator device but I could definitely be wrong.

13. Mrg02d macrumors 65816

irattle...it's revolutionary!

14. aquadisiac, Sep 22, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2012

aquadisiac macrumors 6502

15. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

My iPhone 4 and all my iPhone 4S' have rattled right near the camera. Only when I tap the device do I get a rattling sound. I figured it was just normal considering almost a dozen devices between mine and my families all do it.

16. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

I have a rattle. I also had it on my 3GS. I'm pretty sure this is very common, and people that haven't heard it just haven't heard it yet.

I think it's either the silence switch, power button or internal gyroscope.

17. jamminj606, Sep 22, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2012

jamminj606 macrumors newbie

Went to apple store over a similar issue.
    Tapping the top of the phone and hearing the rattle is normal. They all do that.
    Mine rattled when shaking it; even when I held the buttons down. It was something internal. Other phones there on display either didnt have it or only slightly rattled. Mine was louder for sure.
    They replaced my phone on the spot with a new one from a blank white box they had on site.
    This ones perfect; thanks apple store Fresno!

18. 0r30 macrumors 6502

0r30

I once heard it was the lens from the camera that rattles. My 4s did it and so does my Iphone 5.

19. ste1164 macrumors 6502a

ste1164

20. luqtotheman macrumors regular

when I hold the power button the rattling goes away...

21. Glideslope Suspended

Glideslope

Mine makes a faint rattle, as do the 3 other 5's of friends. Have no idea what this means. Look at the iFixit teardown. What is there? :apple:

----------

Agreed. Can produce almost the exact sound, but louder when I shake my Panasonic Lumix DMZ-ZS7.

The sound comes from behind the lens not the Apple Symbol if you use a stethoscope to listen. Exact location in iFixit Teardown. :apple:

----------

Autofocus engaged. :apple:

22. i-John macrumors 6502a

i-John

iPhone 6 will have customizable rattles.

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

24. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

It's the camera lens. It's normal. They all do it, some just to a larger degree than others. Don't believe me? Go to your local carrier or apple store and check the display models. They will all do it to some degree. You'll find some to be very faint and some to be really loud. It's not gonna hurt your phone and will not hurt the camera or lead to premature wear or anything. If your concerned, go trade it for one with a yellow screen or chips or loose buttons or bad battery or a slew of other things that your bound to find if you look hard enough. This is how a lot of non-smartphone camera lenses work too.

I returned my first 4s out of paranoia of the same issue. The second one rattled but much less. After a year of normal, if not gentle use, it's increased in rattle a bit and still takes amazing pictures.

My 5 rattles cause of a loose sleep/wake and the camera lenses. It takes awesome pics too. I'm not sending it back simply because I know the next one is prone to do the same and possibly have other cosmetic or functional issues. Plus ill be getting a new phone in a year anyway.

Anyone who says they can't duplicate the marble-like rattle by tapping the back just below the camera is either lying, has bad hearing, or honestly may have a stuck lens and their camera may have trouble auto focusing.

Most people just honestly don't notice it.

25. saleemyas3 macrumors regular

It could be the power button, the camera lens, or the vibrate (which is in that area) all of which are a non issue.

Mine rattles too