Tempted to get a refurb MBP - is the battery in the refresh worth buying new instead?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Whackintosh, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Whackintosh macrumors 6502

Seems that nobody has actually gotten it to last anywhere near the claimed 7 hour mark, so is the new battery a significant improvement over the older umbp one?

2. MacLover4491 macrumors member

It is a significant upgrade in the battery department but it not worth price unless you get the $1700 macbook pro. Or you can get the refurbished uni macbookpro for 1500 (super deal). The $2000 macbook pro is overpriced.

3. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

My 13" MBP got about 8 today. Yes I let it sit there undisturbed for several hours (was running the battery down to calibrate it) but it was on 1/2 display and wifi connected, and accessing my google calendars via iCal every five minutes during that time. The last couple of hours I used it to browse. So yeah I was getting very near the claimed performance values.

Ruahrc

4. green tea macrumors member

has anyone ever been able to get close to any of the battery claims from any sort of laptop

5. Mezzanine224 macrumors member

I bought the 15"/2.53 refurb, and the battery was indeed brand new. 0 life cycles.

However, the screen briefly was suffering from the "horizontal pixels glitch" so I called tech support, got an additional $75 knocked off the already great price, and they're sending me a new one.

The refurbs aren't perfect, that's for sure. But I can take the wait to save more cash.

6. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

I can only agree. The battery is awesome. The 1.5bg sata is not. Neither is my defective screen. I love the backlit keyboard on the 13" inch though... a lot!