Trashed Items Cant Be Opened
Software Update Off-Limits to Third-Parties
Dashboard Widgets are Modal
Painful Pinwheel Pauses
Permission Roadblocks
Exposing Package Contents is Confusing
Dumb Deleting
Sidebar Items Cant Be Renamed

Surely this is tongue-in-cheek. I mean, the inability to change sidebar item's names is grasping at straws and the fact he struggles with packages is a worry. :eek:

Some people don't deserve OSX. :rolleyes:

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Only the first two items annoy the heck out of me. The rest, I have no problems with. Opening files from the trash? I think there's a good reason why it's not aloud!

Here's to the Crazy Ones

That's what hacks are for, my friends: http://www.unsanity.com/haxies/dockdetox

kainjow said:
Aren't both of these the same in Windows?
This wasn't a debate of macs vs. windows, it's are macs perfect or imperfect, with the assumption it's better than windows. But, we sure would like a few things improved, so let's discuss them. I agree with him on just a few, particularly the first two as has been previously stated here. My big gripes are in user-interface consistancy and items within particular applicaitons.

winmacguy

macrumors 68020
Nov 8, 2003
New Zealand
There is a lot of growing feedback over @ OSNews on this thread http://www.osnews.com/comment.php?news_id=13218

It makes for some very interesting reading:cool:

Lacero said:
Only the first two items annoy the heck out of me. The rest, I have no problems with. Opening files from the trash? I think there's a good reason why it's not aloud!
You just drag the files out of the trash and on to the desk top. Besides in certain professions its is actually bad practice to work on files that are in the trash folder, after all they were put there for a reason in the first place:rolleyes: :eek:

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
I think the guy is forgetting that Mac OS is built around the User... and it works for the user, especially the lowest common denominator. When you give a mac to anyone they can more or less use it straight away.

Dock Items Bounce Indefinitely
I like this... it tells me the app needs attention. If you don't like bouncing apps, turn it off! Windows: Flashes! And not only that, when the task bar groups windows together.. it flashes and then you have to find it on the group menu!

Programs Force Themselves to the Forefront
This I too find very annoying. However, think of the user! Windows: They stay in background, just don't be surprised when you go to the background app you'll find "Send. Don't Send. ;)"

Trashed Items Cant Be Opened
I personally would like to be able to open files in the trash, but I imagine it isn't a good thing for beginners especially to be doing so. If they forget to drag it out then next time they empty trash without thinking, they'll lose their work. Windows: you can open files in the trash. You can also have files which will never delete as windows persists to tell you that they're still in use.

Software Update Off-Limits to Third-Parties
I know many mac users want this. I'd hate it. Getting an update in Software Update is exciting! Plus, how many apps would you get which "need updating" because you've just deleted the app from applications and not the pref files?! Windows: Windows update - don't make me laugh. It's so cumbersome and you can't hardly use the computer while its in use!

Dashboard Widgets are Modal
This doesn't annoy me, plus I use two or three probably once an hour! Windows: Can't wait until Longhorn copies.

Painful Pinwheel Pauses
Not half as many as I got in OS 9.. and then an 1/8th of what i get in Windows.

Permission Roadblocks
I love the way this guy says that more often than not you get a not enough permission window. I've only ever had this once, and I was trying to delete a folder in CoreSystem. Windows: Delete what you like, baby, yeh!!

Exposing Package Contents is Confusing
But at least you can do it. Windows: wouldn't know what a package was if it was thrown one. Instead you get a nice folder full of 100 + files and a Setup.exe.

Dumb Deleting
Sidebar Items Cant Be Renamed
Yeh... um... good! I'm glad they show me my files are getting deleted! It feels like it means something! Plus it is "in the background" per se, because the user can do other things while it's happening. Windows: Try pressing even the Start Menu while the Recycle Bin is emptying.

I know the article wasn't a comparison with windows, i just thought I'd include it. I'd be the first to admit that OS X has some problems but none are mentioned above!

Squire

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2003
Canada
Deepdale said:

I knew this would make another guest appearance. :)
Speaking of which, I love that sound when the trash empties. It sounds like...never mind. (Ever notice that since the release of Nevermind by Nirvana, people constantly use it as a replacement for "never mind"?)

-Squire

simX

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2002
Bay Area, CA
kainjow said:
Um... right-click an item and select Rename?
This is kind of funny, but I never tried that and never realized that it could be done that way. :)

I do hate it when programs force themselves to the front, but I can't recall the last time that ever happened since first installing Mac OS X. I wasn't aware that applications were allowed to do that. But, seriously, does this happen a lot?

About opening items in the trash: I mean seriously, that's just dumb. Why are you using the trash for storage? I think it's a fair warning, although it would be nice for it to give you the warning and then open it.

Dashboard widgets being modal: that's totally the point and is intentional. I don't want widgets cluttering up my screen when I don't need to use them. They're handy at the flick of a key/mouse button, and that's exactly where they should stay. (Plus, there's a pref file hack that will allow you to get them on to the normal screnn layer.)

Permission roadblocks: I hardly ever get those anymore. Those were problems with OS X 10.1 and perhaps Jaguar, but I haven't had problems with that lately either.

About copying application packages: I do agree that this is confusing in the Finder in how it displays that its copying image files. It should just say that it's copying 1 file, even though it's a bundle composed of many files.

About deleting items: sure, these are problems, but they are very minor. That is, all except for the one saying that you can't delete something when it's in use -- it TOTALLY should tell you what application is using the file. (Same goes for when trying to eject CDs/hard drives/disk images.) This is really annoying, and is probably the most significant of his gripes.

But I do agree: if these are your top ten Mac OS X annoyances, then it sure speaks volumes about how good Mac OS X as an operating system.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Dock Items Bounce Indefinitely - This annoys me
Programs Force Themselves to the Forefront - This annoys me even more
Trashed Items Can't Be Opened - This ****** me off :mad:
Software Update Off-Limits to Third-Parties - Don't really care
Dashboard Widgets are Modal - Don't really care
Painful Pinwheel Pauses - Haven't run into this on a regular basis
Permission Roadblocks - Don't really care
Exposing Package Contents is Confusing - Don't really care
Dumb Deleting - This annoys me too
Sidebar Items Can't Be Renamed - Uh, yes they can :rolleyes:

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
He's not suggesting you should be able to open files in the trash; he's suggesting that the "you can't open files in the trash" dialog should include an option to automatically move the file to the desktop and open it from there. I'd say that's not a bad idea.

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
Deepdale said:
And risk a homophonebic backlash on a Monday? No, we'll be good instead.
Good thinking! It's too early in the week to start anything like that, especially considering that it's been less than two days since our last discussion of this. :D

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
None of the items he lists is a problem for me. The only thing I don't like is how I can't maximize a window to take up the whole screen by just clicking one button. This is nice in Windows and several Mac converts I know ask me how to do this and I have to tell them that you can't, you have to just resize it yourself.

cwtnospam

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2004
wordmunger said:
...he's suggesting that the "you can't open files in the trash" dialog should include an option to automatically move the file to the desktop and open it from there.
It isn't a good idea to store files on your desktop because it slows your system down, and you're more likely to see the dreaded spinning beach ball. I'm guilty of doing it myself, and when I clean up my desktop the system does get snappier.

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
if you find yourself hitting f12 by mistake and and opening dashboard there is a simple solution...go under system preferences and change the key...or turn it right off!

macFanDave

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2003
Pretty silly list.

If that is what Owen Linzmayer (sp?) hates, I wonder what emotion he has left to apply to injustice, bigotry and the Dallas Cowboys?

Windows users would be lucky to have a top ten list that has such trivial problems on it.

Little things I'd like to see changed is the replace item dialog. Currently, Mac OS X asks you whether you want to replace an older file with an identically-named newer one. Windows shows the dates and sizes of the two files and lets the user decide to go forward with the replacement of the old with the new.

Another thing that has gotten little attention is the Go menu. It's right there, front and center, but users have no way to make it more useful.