Ten US banks to pay back bail-out

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by edesignuk, Jun 9, 2009.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

BBC.

Good news, surely?

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

this is good news, and i have seen a few other signs of things being slightly better around here, however the big thing that we are still facing is large, very large amounts of unemployment since companies are still not hiring, or still laying people off in an effort to tighten their belts it seems.

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Great news! I never thought we'd see that! Very encouraging indeed. Let's hope they've learned something.

4. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

You'll have to excuse me a ROFL ;)

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

me too. :p

they're only anxious to pay back the money in order to get back to 'the usual' rather than be under scrutiny from the govt.

6. NinjaHERO macrumors 6502a

NinjaHERO

I don't know if I count it as good news. The banks want to pay back the money so they can return to doing business as usual. They want to be able to give high executive pay and bonus's and stuff. Wasn't that part of their problem to begin with?

I am all about free market, and banks should be able to operate as they please. The freedom of doing business. But I think this is more like little children not wanted to be told what to do, rather than a good sign for the economy.

I personally think our economy is going to get a lot worse before it gets better. Gas prices are rising and inflation hasn't even begun to smack us.

But I am not an economist, that's just my opinion on the matter. For the sake of all I really really really want to be wrong. :D

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

A nice sign but nothing has changed regarding the systemic problems. We were told of all these "too big to fail" companies. What has been done about that?

Link