TenFourFox is slooowwww…want some cheese with that whine?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by eyoungren, Mar 2, 2015.

1. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

2. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

That upgraded machine is much better than my 466MHz DA :(
    It chokes on TFF.

3. LightBulbFun macrumors 6502a

LightBulbFun

Did some one mention Slow? I have run tenforfox on a 266Mhz yes a whopping 266Mhz G3 Beige mostly stock running tiger it only has half the ram of that 9500 LOL and I took it on facebook LOL

4. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

and did it lag much?

5. LightBulbFun macrumors 6502a

LightBulbFun

It Lagged like running minecraft on it :p and they Say you need a Modern machine to Run Minecraft... Pish posh :p

Attached Files:

6. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

How does proving it can run have anything to do with it running slow? :confused:

Anyway, it's impressive that a Mac of that age can be upgraded all the way to a 700 MHz G4.

7. ctmpkmlec4 macrumors 6502

ctmpkmlec4

8. eyoungren thread starter macrumors P6

eyoungren

Let me show you my thought process…

1. Most complaints about TenFourFox running slow tend to be made by users here running either lower spec G4 systems (1.0Ghz or below) or G3 systems.
    2. The Mac in the link I indicate is over 20 years old and while it does seem to be upgraded, the rest is techology that precedes even the Beige G3s.
    3. The person using the Mac on this ancient machine seems to not have an issue with running it.
    Ergo…those complaining about running it on the Macs I mentioned in #1 might consider points #2 and #3.

4. Because I like to poke fun at those who tend to dismiss T4Fx without even attempting to optimize it.

9. ctmpkmlec4 macrumors 6502

ctmpkmlec4

I have to ask: How does one optimize T4Fx? There is probably a thread I could search for, but I have a smartphone and I'm lazy...

10. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

There's a big red link in his sig, but you can't see it because you're on the mobile version of MR :p

11. ctmpkmlec4 macrumors 6502

ctmpkmlec4

Thanks!

12. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Even with a G4 upgrade, that 9500 is still going to have a lot of limitations. The system bus on these is a LOT slower than even a beige G3, as is the memory.

I think my 8500(which is the same generation as the 9500) uses 60ns or 70ns RAM. For comparison, PC-133 is 7.5ns, or basically an order of magnitude faster.

I do prefer Leopard Webkit, but still regularly use TFF(especially where security-and not speed-is my top priority). I haven't taken the time to optimize it on my rarely-used Pismo(500mhz G3), but even on that system it really is not a bad performing browser.

I just got a Clamshell(today) so will have some fun playing around with it once I get Tiger installed on it.

13. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I plan on using the guide on my 900 MHz iBook G3 that came from RedCroissant (and indirectly, you). For some reason, I found TenFourFox to be much slower after version 17 but that maybe just an outlandish observation. I do prefer TenFourFox on my higher end systems though. I will post after I try the tweaks.

14. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

If only mine wasn't still broken :(

Although it was stuck on Panther due to having only 160 MB of RAM.

15. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I followed the guide and changed all things that appeared to me. The CPU still pegs at 100% but that is expected for a measly G3 mobile processor. Typing this response now has no text lag whatsoever and is making for a much better experience. Granted, there is still stutter compared to TFF 17 but that is the cost of the new features and security progress that is made in the browser.

16. eyoungren thread starter macrumors P6

eyoungren

Between versions 4 and 17 Kaiser was using one kind of JS code compiler and from 17 until now there is a different compiler because Mozilla changed code around version 17.

Version 24 was also problematic because Mozilla introduced Australis, which entirely changed the graphic interface as well. I had to make the jump twice before I managed to move past 24.

Mozilla has changed code again since then and now Kaiser is trying to get it to compile so all of us can make the jump to 38.

----------

That initial page load will always peg the CPU at 100%, even on G4/G5 systems. That's because it's getting hit with the heaviest processing at that point.

Where the optimization comes in is how quickly it can proceed past that point and return the CPU to a comfortable idle level. That's what the goal is.

17. Surrat macrumors 6502

Surrat

I wish people appreciated more what Mr. Kaiser has done for us all.

He single handed is offering us the ONLY 100% up to date, full featured, and modern powerpc browser. Sure older systems slow down with it, but the fact that its even there to choose for them is a miracle. The HUGE amount of time he takes to program this thing I think should earn him some respect, instead of complaints.

18. eyoungren thread starter macrumors P6

eyoungren

I agree, although I think most long-time users here also see that as well. It's just those are generally unaware of the project that take issue with it - without realizing that they can change things.

And that's the beauty of T4Fx. Unlike other browsers, T4Fx retains Firefox's ability to be tweaked and to use modern and current addons. That's one of the best things about it.

19. ctmpkmlec4 macrumors 6502

ctmpkmlec4

I do appreciate what he has done. If I were a talented programmer, I would gladly contribute. Sadly, I haven't graduated beyond "Hello, World!"

20. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

It isn't Keiser's fault at all! In fact, my Core 2 Duo ThinkPad has issues with Firefox 36 sometimes and it has infinitely more power than this measly G3. Keiser is by far the savior to the PowerPC community and I hope that he will be until there is no PPC Macs left.

21. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I'm typing this post from Cameron Kaiser's other "product"-Classilla-which is the OS 9 version of TFF.

I too am enormous appreciative of what he's done-and continues to do-for the PPC community. The fact that I'm sitting here typing this on a 15-year old laptop using an operating system for which the developer held a public funeral 13 years ago is amazing to me!

22. ctmpkmlec4 macrumors 6502

ctmpkmlec4

I think Classilla is great, but I wish more folks would get behind it to polish its functionality. Some sites still don't render correctly, for example, Macintosh Garden.

23. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

That is probably due to the fact that it loads the mobile site.

24. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I'm actually using the desktop site for Macrumors in Classilla. I've found that-for whatever reason-scrolling is very laggy on the mobile site, while it works perfectly on the desktop site. I'll also add that the problem is specific to Classilla-the site does fine on my iPhone.

I frequent many other Vbulletin sites, and don't seem to have issues with scrolling on their mobile sites in Classilla. I suspect it's either the specific version of Vbulletin that Macrumors is using, or possibly some plugin they have installed that's causing it.

I prefer the desktop site anyway, so that's really not a complaint or a problem. At least it's normally not, although it is for me at the moment, as the desktop site is wider than the 600x800 Clamshell screen :)

25. ctmpkmlec4 macrumors 6502

ctmpkmlec4

I would agree with you if the site rendered incorrectly using Chrome on a Nexus 7.