Tenn. Bill Addresses Teaching Evolution.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by appleguy123, Apr 4, 2011.

1. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Yes, because once you enter Tennessee,reality inexplicably changes and what scientists say isn't relevant in Science class.
    Source.

2. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

3. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

4. Rodimus Prime, Apr 4, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2011

Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I have to say the theory behind the bill in good. Problem comes in both sides twisting it.
    Should a teachers hands be tied if a student ask what about intelligent design and what is the theory behind that. Theory not being in science wise but logic and how it is explained.

I can promise you that there plenty of students out there that would bring something like that up in class for no other reason that to get the teacher in trouble and fired for going off topic and talking about it when someone ask a valid question.
    Now it would never be on a test or expect to be remember but at the same time a lot of kids want to have an understanding of were ideas like that come from. Should a teacher be band from doing that.

Is evolution controversial in to a lot of people? yes it is.

Do I find some people to the point of trying to shove evolution on to people to the point that they are in some ways worse than some of the religions nut cases out there? Hell yes.
    Both sides have very closed minded people.

Hell in some ways I think bring in how the logic behind intelegent design (providing a student brought it up) can bring a much greater understanding to the scientific process. That being explain that how often times in science we run into issues were previous held theories would not be true any more and as such a new one needs to be form with the additional parameter so everything still holds true. For example Newton 3 laws. They work great until you start getting to high speeds closer to the speed of light and then you find out that they do not work as well. Theory of relativity solves that issue by bring in new rules. Relativity also falls apart on the micro scale and in quantum mechanics and currently they are working on string theory to help tie everything together. (as an example of what I was talking about that has nothing to do with evolution but more how science understanding works)

5. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Don't keep playing the "both sides do it" game. People who believe in evolution are right. Those that believe in creationism are wrong. There is no middle ground.

6. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

7. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

ah is that because it stings. On any issue it is to the point that both sides are pretty bad.
    In this case it is a valid point to make. People pushing evolution want it to the point even thinking something else should not be allowed. That to me goes against science by not allowing new idea to think that it goes against science though by now allowing other ideas to even be explored.

8. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

No one is trying to stifle new ideas. The Scientific community just doesn't want children educated in what --all the current evidence says-- is a lie. Also, teachers simply don't have time to teach alternatives to all scientific theories? Tell me then, without violating the first amendment, why Evolution should be singled out over thermodynamics or universal gravitation? Is there not just as much evidence for it?

9. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

If Intelligent Design has any scientific validity whatsoever, it was be viable as a subject to teach in science class.

It has not, so it is not. There is no "valid point" to make here. It is not a "new idea" -- it's the Creationism pig with revisionist lipstick.

You can argue that it is a valid alternative that 2 + 2 = 5 and that the mathematical orthodoxy is stifling "other ideas to be explored." It doesn't make you any less wrong.

10. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

and should a teacher not be allowed to talk about it if a student ask the question about it and explain the logic behind it?

Not on the test and go back to my first post. I knew kids would who ask question like that for no other reason than to try to get the teacher fired.
    Only reason Evolution gets singled out is because of the controversy with people who refuse to redesign at least their personal theory to include new evidance and are tied only to creationism. It is the big item that goes directly against the 7 day.

11. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

A science teacher should be able to discuss the difference between the scientific theory of evolution and the philosophical theory of intelligent design and creationism.

The problem remains the attempt to make them appear equal in terms and they fundamentally are not. You can make it a SAT question.

1. Like astronomy is to astrology, evolution is to....

A) dinosaurs.
    B) Intelligent Design
    C) a wizard did it
    D) None of the above

12. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

as I said the theory of bill I support. Problem is how it can be abused it is word poorly but the theory is a good idea.. I do think teachers should be allowed to talk about the philosophical of the respective theories in science class and logic behind them.
    As I said I did know of kids who would ask those question for no other reason that to try to get teachers in trouble.

13. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

"Johnny, Intelligent Design is the belief some invisible man in the sky orchestrated the development of all life on Earth. There is absolutely NO evidence to support their beliefs. If you want to learn about the scientific method (i.e. define the question, gather information and resources (observe), form hypothesis, perform experiment and collect data, analyze data, interpret data and draw conclusions that serve as a starting point for new hypothesis, retest) school is for you. You want to reaffirm your mythical beliefs, go to church."

Would this answer appease the sponsors of this bill? :rolleyes:

14. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

"Johnny" doesn't vote, in fact he doesn't even have free will, what with adults pulling him in all sorts of directions.

"Get 'em young" was coined for a reason, with the Church just being one of the abusers.

15. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

This. There is just no doubt about evolution, despite what some try to say.

Teachers should not mock creationism though- people have every right to be wrong! Instead, if any pupil raised a creationist point the teacher should just tell them to direct it to their religious studies teacher/parents/priest and move on.

There is nothing wrong with asking about evolution though- there is a big difference between asking where fossils come from and saying they were planted by the devil as a trick!

16. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

... here's how not to."

17. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Don't believe in evolution? Just look at dog breeding. Breeders have harnessed and exploit the theory... Ironically, a lot of them are quite religious.

Also, why do my children look eerily like my wife and I?
    Why do Asian couples produce Asian babies?

18. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I suppose you could teach about intelligent design in religion class.

Though it would have to come after talking about all the other major religions to a reasonable degree.

19. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Idiocy.

20. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

The Republican needs to be renamed Lennie.

21. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

This Lennie?? :p

22. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Design is not Intelligent when founded on a god who is demonstrably mythological.

23. Sam Yikin macrumors regular

This is a discussion about science, specifically what should be taught in science classrooms. If there is a valid scientific challenge to evolution, it should be done through the proper channels (ie researched, peer reviewed, published in journal, etc). In the classroom, students should be taught the scientific consensus on whatever issue is currently being discussed.

This is not philosophy. It is not about ideas, it is about sound explanations to sound empirical evidence.

I absolutely agree that a teacher should be able to address ID should it be brought up in the classroom, mainly to dismiss it as a scientific contender to evolution.

To say that evolution and ID are at all on the same footing, or that evolution is something that needs to be "pushed" is ridiculous. Evolution is about as sound as scientific theories can be.

24. redshift1 macrumors regular

I am at a complete loss reading about the bizarre legislation currently proposed. I swear we are returning to the Dark Ages.

25. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

The Internet has caused established structures to lose control of information.

Pandora's Box has been opened.