Tenn. lawmaker's bill allows guns in bars...and guess what happens?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I mean, what can I say? This guy is his own punchline. :p

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

The guy did something stupid ... what does that have to do with the bill?

AFAIK, it is illegal in all states to consume alcohol while carrying a weapon.

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

You could argue that since "it is illegal in all states to consume alcohol while carrying a weapon" that "sponsor[ing] a bill allowing handgun carry permit holders to tote guns in bars" is, in itself, stupid. And of course, stupid is as stupid does.

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

No, it isn't ... what's wrong with the DD carrying in a bar if they are properly licensed to carry a concealed weapon?

5. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

DeeDee? Is that some kind of secret NRA codename meant to exclude everyone from the inner circle if they don't 'get it'?

If alcohol and automobiles don't mix, why do you think that alcohol and firearms should mix? It's so sad that so many Americans have allowed themselves to be brainwashed by the NRA. The founding fathers are rolling in their graves.

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Designated Driver.

I thought that was a common enough term.

Alcohol and firearms do NOT mix, why do you think ANYONE is suggesting that?

You cannot consume alcohol and legally carry a firearm.

Here is the article covering the "new" law, enacted in 2009:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/06/05/tennessee-lawmakers-allow_n_211710.html

Emphasis mine.

7. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Umm, DD means designated driver. Doesn't have to do with carrying a weapon, just means the poor bloke who drew the short straw to not drink that evening.

8. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Poor, for him, a God for his falling-down drunken friends.

Everyone needs a release, now and then.

But not with a gun.

9. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

The whole idea of carrying a weapon is stupid to me so this just borders on insane but whatever. :rolleyes:

10. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Sorry, context is everything and my party years are long behind me.

I really fail to understand why anyone thinks it's a good idea to mix alcohol and amateur firearm owners. It makes absolutely no sense at all.

Is it so horrible to have gun free zones?

Why buy into the culture of fear?

11. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

You know that when it was illegal to carry a handgun in Washington DC it had the highest incidence of handgun crime in the country? Laws are worthless unless we have the will to enforce them.

DC still leads the country in handgun murders by population.

Gun laws only keep honest people from owning guns.

12. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Unless they are properly enforced and punished. Very tight gun laws here (recommended 4 year minimum sentence if caught with one), and only ~50 gun homicides per year in the whole country. US police shoot about 8 times that many a year!

13. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

No one is suggesting that, unless you think that a gun and alcohol being in the same room is dangerous. Again, a concealed-weapon holder, who has been through the required training and checks, would not risk drinking while carrying - it is a felony, which means they could never legally own a weapon again.

Because all they do is guarantee a place for criminals to act without fear of encountering an armed, law-abiding citizen who may be willing to come to the defense of themselves or other in a time of need.

I'm not buying into a "culture of fear." There are evil people in this world, who will not think twice about doing harm to me or my family, and I feel an obligation to be prepared to defend myself and my family if the situation arises. There is no fear about it. I do not live in fear that something may happen ...

... I could ask the same thing about you ... why buy into the so called fear of law-abiding gun owners?

14. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Yehaa arm kindergarten teachers,hell arm the kids,you know it makes sense.Heavily armed countries like the US and Yemen are world renowned for their peaceful societies...er hold on that can't be right.

15. r.j.s, Oct 14, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2011

r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Way to twist my point to the extreme ... :rolleyes:

What about Switzerland? Your claim is selective and based on your own bias and opinions.

EDIT: Back on topic for this thread ... the guy wasn't even the main sponsor of this bill that passed 2 years ago ... and the story doesn't say whether or not he had a carry permit ... which makes a huge difference since you need a permit to carry in Tennesse.

Did he even carry the gun into the bar? A lot of people legally carry a weapon in their vehicle at all times ... was his just there when he got caught for DUI, and the story is sensationalizing?

16. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

It's still illegal to carry a handgun in DC.

DC's murder rate has been falling since 1991, when it was 80.94 murders per 100,000 people. It's now 21.94 per 100,000 people.

http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/dccrime.htm

I can't find a comparison of handgun-only murders, but given that St. Louis Missouri's murder rate is 40.5; New Orleans is 49.1; Newark, New Jersey's is 32.1; Baltimore, Maryland's is 34.8; Detroit, Michigan's is 34.5, there really is no way that DC still has the highest handgun murder rate, and hasn't for many years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_cities_by_crime_rate

17. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

I was just about to raise the same questions. I read the article. Although Huffington Post articles are typically written objectively and thoroughly, this article seems to have fallen just short of those standards. I tried to read the arrest warrant, but it is small and in all caps and my computer screen doesn't play well with it.

To answer your questions, I think we are to assume that (1) he went to a bar, (2) he packed heat in the bar, (3) he got drunk in the bar, (4) he is the archetype or hypocrisy, and (5) we are to hyperactively segue into all manner of firearm faux angst.

18. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Or, he just authored a bill that retains the ban on being drunk and being in possession of a firearm, and was drunk in possession of a firearm.

19. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

I see your point. To avoid hypocrisy, he should have stood against a bill banning being intoxicated while being in possession of a firearm.

20. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I don't get it, if he would have been shot in a bar I could see...

Most likely he was a DUI offender who happened to have a gun in his car. It's more common than you think in the states. In rural areas you find more people with guns in their car than not.

21. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

But why does the DD need a concealed weapon? To shoot his friends if they get too drunk?

I'm pretty sure that the reason DC had problems is that it's too easy to get weapons nearby and then of course criminals will go to where the people are less likely to shoot back. But that doesn't mean that the best solution is to add more guns to the mix and have shootouts whenever a crime occurs, we should just have a national law restricting who can own guns, and what type of guns. There aren't really any good reasons for handguns and other types of guns have very few good reasons to have them.

22. bassfingers macrumors 6502

bassfingers

a bunch of drunk guys with secret handguns. Great. While we're at it, let's remove the safety's on the guns, make everyone jump on trampolines and cover their hands with butter

23. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

So all concealed weapon carriers have impeccable morals? I don't buy that. Everyone has a breaking point and putting a gun in the hands of someone who is shepherding around a bunch of intoxicated people only increases the pressure on that person.

Are you saying that we live in such a dangerous society that we need to be constantly alert and aware of every possible danger that might be in our vicinity? Do you never do anything without being afraid? What a horrible existence. I flat out don't understand why people live in fear of others so much.

Stranger Danger is a myth. It's the people we know that we need to fear the most, not those we don't.

I don't trust people with guns, that's why. They think that it gives them an edge in dealing with society when all it is is a replacement for their supposed 'lost manhood'.

24. r.j.s, Oct 14, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2011

r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

^^^ then you and I will have to agree to disagree.

I do not live in fear, however, I acknowledge there are people out there who intend to harm other people.

Besides, the primary reason I own guns is for sport. Shooting is just plain fun.

The ignorance in this post is unbelievable.

25. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Wait a moment while I picture this..... LOL. Permitting guns in drinking establishments ranks with the most stupid of ideas.