Tennessee has criminalized pregnant women

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iBlazed, Dec 16, 2014.

1. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

"Family Values" at their best again. Instead of helping people detox, put them in jail (Corporate run jail, naturally). That should actively discourage pregnant women who have a drug problem from seeking prenatal care. Well done, Tennessee! Also, apparently the voters passed a law in November that somehow overturns a SCOTUS decision? Not ever sure how that works, maybe someone can help explain it. Yeah, there's no right wing war on women though, nothing to see here. Link

2. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I have no problem taking children away from parents who are using drugs, especially if they care so little about them that they mess them up by using drugs while pregnant. But yeah as bad as the foster care system can be it is probably a better environment for those kids to grow up in.

4. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I don't believe in an overly bloated nanny government out to control the people and tell them how to live! THAT'S THE STATE'S JOB, DAMNIT!

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Agreed.

6. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Tennessee will not prosecute a pregnant mother who goes into a state treatment program for the addition. The law is a good law. Yes, it criminalizes women who take drugs throughout their pregnancy which can and does result in babies that have horrible addictions and medical problems. However, at the same time it makes it clear if they seek help they won't be prosecuted. This is a case where they are putting the child first.

This criminal portion of this law will sunset in 2016. The intent is to cut down on the number of children born addicted to drugs. Tennessee had this law until two years ago, then removed the law. It's simple being put back in place. Drug addicted babies are a serious problem. Simple solution to avoiding being prosecuted... DON'T DO DRUGS.

7. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I would only favour this is empirical evidence demonstrated that taking kids away from their drug-using mother (entailing institutional care, foster care and/or adoption) leads to better outcomes than treating both the mother and the kid with appropriate social and medical interventions.

I wonder - does the Tennessee law apply all harmful drugs (namely, alcohol and nicotine)? Does Tennessee ban the sale of alcohol & tobacco to pregnant women?

8. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

The outcome they want isn't too take away children. They want pregnant women to stop using drugs. The law only applies to illegal drugs. Which does not include nicotine or alcohol.

9. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Quit posting crap from Addicting Info! It's trolling of the worst sort.

10. sim667 macrumors 65816

If drug usage puts that child in danger.

I know plenty of mums who smoke a bit of pot etc and their kids have grown up to be some of the most decent down to earth kids aswell....

Have your playtime, but have it responsibly.

11. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Yes, I did. This law doesn't open any new treatment options for these women. All it will do is discourage pregnant women who are addicted to drugs from getting prenatal care. They've seen other pregnant women thrown in jail before them, so why not them?
    Why, because you don't like it? Is there anything in the article that's factually incorrect that you would like to call out?

12. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

'Merica.. when someone has a problem, don't help them, just throw them in a private for-profit prison to rot away. That will sure show them. But hey at least they didn't get shot right?

More prisoners per capita than any other country on the world. This country's obsession with imprisonment is outrageous.

13. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

There are already state run addiction services in Tennessee. Treatment options are there for those that want them. If someone chooses to get pregnant, to not abort, then they need to also remain off drugs for the pregnancy. If it takes criminalization to make this happen, I'm all for it. If you want to do drugs, use appropriate measures to avoid getting pregnant. It is not fair to the infant that you will bring into this world.

14. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

Wow. That sounds horrible! Then again, I only had to read these two segments to know that there was an agenda here and there would be no looking at it from the other side, you know, like good journalism. So take it with a grain of salt.

15. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

That's a convenient way to avoid discussing the topic at hand. It's also clear there's an agenda in those laws, and it may be an unconstitutional one. We shall see.

----------

Good luck getting that abortion in Republican lalaland.

16. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

People get blasted and their arguments are discounted here all the time for posting from obvious right wing slanted sites. Is it ok if it's left wing? It's nothing short of propaganda to show one side of an issue and pretend like an opposing view doesn't even exist.

17. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

They get blasted for the lack of accuracy of information in the article, not the way it's presented.

18. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

Actually I should've stopped at the sensationalized headline:

I'll be more careful next time.

19. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

How about treating drug addicts as criminals? My opinion, that's totally ***** up. We have real idiots in leadership positions who think sitting in jail is the answer to all of socieity's ills. We don't want to fix or help you, just punish you. Good Old Testiment logic at work.

20. sim667 macrumors 65816

This point becomes moot when the article makes it pretty clear theres only treatment available for roughly 1 out of every 17 women who need treatment.

----------

Can you please show us an example of this.

21. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Planned Parenthood, the largest abortion provider in the United States has four facilities within the borders of Tennessee; Johnson City, Knoxville, Memphis, and Nashville. Three of the four perform abortions. There are also clinics in surrounding states.

22. iBlazed, Dec 17, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2014

iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

You're a heroin addicted 17 year old girl who, in a drug induced haze, got knocked up. You live in rural Tennessee, far from a major city. No abortion readily available to you and you may not have the resources to travel far to get one. You've seen other drug addicted pregnant women get locked up and you're scared to get help and prenatal care. What do you you?

.....can anyone say "coat hanger"?

For comparison, here are all the abortion clinics in my area. I live in between Planned Parenthood and Birthright.

Attached Files:

23. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

It's propaganda based on exaggeration and sensationalism, not news. Written with a biased point of view that doesn't include opposing viewpoints or facts.

It's all yellow journalism such as would be seen at poorly written blogs (which Addicting Info resembles in its unprofessional way of doing business--even the "About Us" doesn't work).

24. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

You take responsibility for the bad choices you've made and their consequences. Especially when it now involves consequences to another life.

25. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

And there we go, boils right down to the right wing ideology of feeding the corporate prison system by criminalizing people who need help.