Tennessee Highway Patrol Under Fire

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Mar 12, 2015.

1. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

http://benswann.com/tennessee-highw...ter-troopers-expose-alleged-dui-quota-system/
    its mostly about revenue. just like most DUI stops are.

2. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

It is debatable if "most DUI stops" are revenue based. Be that has it may.
    For the sake of argument, who cares?

Whatever the motivation- if it gets drunk drivers legitimately off the roads, it matters what the reasons for doing so are?

3. Roric macrumors regular

I think the big question that needs to be asked when someone complains about quotas is, "Did the person who was stopped actually commit the violation or not?" If the answer is "yes" then what is the problem? If the person did the violation, they deserved and should have been stopped, irregardless of the existence or absence of a quota.

4. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

From the quote in the article it looks like they are pressured to meet the quota by arresting people who aren't actually drunk. If that happens to you, best case scenario you lose a lot of money fighting it and get off, but you also have a good chance of having your life ruined because a cop was trying to meet his quota.

5. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Not only that, but it also calls those arrests and punishments of people who were stopped by this under scrutiny. This includes anyone who had been placed on probation, jail time served, license revocations, the whole lot.

There could potentially be a lot of people who have driving violations and criminal records expunged from this, quite possibly putting them back on the streets to do this again.

The ramifications here are pretty big for Tennessee and its surrounding states.

BL.

6. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Red-light cameras bring in much more revenue than DUI busts, and extorting revenue from the citizenry is their sole purpose.

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I thought police had been shot seeing this thread, I'm pleased I was wrong.

8. jkcerda thread starter Suspended

jkcerda

different thread.

9. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I don't see what the big deal is, quota or not. They're not arresting people unless they're actually drunk, so no harm no foul.

10. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Assuming he is correct in this statement they most likely are arresting people who aren't drunk.

Even if you assume that everyone who was falsely arrested got off in court you still cost innocent people a lot of money fighting it and possibly their job.

11. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

A quota system does not always mean:

1. more innocents are arrested.
    2. it is used as a revenue generator.

12. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Assuming the quotas are low enough that there are more people violating the law than the amount needed to be arrested to meet the quota then you're right on 1.

For your second point, what other purpose is there for a quota if not to ensure a certain level of revenue to the city or state?

13. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Ah. Had a reading comprehension fail.

Yeah, that's a blatant abuse of authority, and they should be raked over the coals for that.

14. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

The roads are crawling with drunk drivers, why the need to arrest the person who isn't?

15. LumbermanSVO macrumors 65816

Why can't we cut the tie between law enforcement funding and tickets/fines issued?

IMO, a law enforcement agency should get a dime because they issued a ticket/fine.

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

They are? I mean you see them occasionally in the UK. Usually they are driving at less than the speed limit.

I'm surprised it's so bad in America.

----------

Then of course no one gets speeding tickets ;).

17. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Maybe I missed it, but where in the claim is someone being pressured to make an arrest for DUI when the driver isn't? I just scanned the article and considered the source of the website and would hope readers would think critically about it and see if there's a real problem or if we might being sold a bill of goods.

If you have a team of 8 traffic enforcement officers on a shift and 6 make 10 DUI arrests a month and 2 make zero, do you think it might indicate a performance issue with these two? It certainly could. And without some standard like averages or some other measurable standard it's hard to hold these two legally accountable for their performance. How do you justify PIP'ing an employee who is a slug or taking steps to rehabilitate a professional skill?

18. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Look at the quote from the article that I posted in quote 10, the officers who meet their quota and have the higher arrest rates have lower conviction rates which implies that to meet quotas yet are attesting innocent people.

19. Roric macrumors regular

But also read the rest of your quote...

Without verifying it you are just taking his word for it. There are times where something seems true, but when you actually look at the numbers it is not. Since no one can look at the numbers, how can we say it is true?

20. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

So the end of arresting DUI drivers justifies the means of hassling innocent citizens?

21. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

I don't know I would agree with that conclusion at all. I'd want to better understand what their conviction criteria is as there are variables to a conviction.

On the flip side, one could also jump to a conclusion then that those officers not meeting a standard were only arresting extremely impaired drivers and being a slug the rest of the time.

22. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

You are correct, in principle. But, as we have seen, "revenue-focused policing" is a major, documented problem in some areas, such as Ferguson. Any time the police department or city government gets to keep the money collected from fines, or, confiscation of property (discussed in a previous thread), there is a moral hazard-- and, not a theoretical one. We've seen example after example of systematic abuse. Fines and property confiscation should go to the (State, Federal) general fund so that the department in question isn't tempted.

23. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

To ensure a certain percentage of DUI's are taken off the road during a given night. A quota system based on that would take into account what is believed to be the total percentage of drivers driving under the influence. As that goes up or goes down, the quota should subsequently go up or down.

----------

I agree that it's a conflict of interest. A quota system in the expressed interest to generate revenue is wrong and should be illegal.