Tennessee Senate race is one to watch.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by PracticalMac, Oct 8, 2018.

1. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Tennessee Senate race is one to watch.

While a the Repub candidates has a small lead, Taylor Swifts strongly worded and detailed Instagram post will send shock waves (the actual post).

I have my popcorn ready.

OH, meanwhile, in Texas (my state), Beto continues to nip at heels of Cruz. Still a long shot, the fact the race is even this close is making the Reps crazy with worry (IE: massive sums for negative ad campaigns)

2. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

I could see it would effect a national election but I wonder what effect it will have in Tennessee ?

It will probably get some voters but I can also see it possibly having a negative effect. I know that if a celebrity, actor, or sports figure tells me to vote for someone I don't like, I gives me more incentive to vote against the candidate they are supporting.

3. raqball macrumors 68000

Hillary trotted out every celebrity known to man/womankind and we see how well that helped.... Swift will have little to zero effect...

4. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

TS never revels her political position or who she is voting for, let alone why.
    Her statement is not only a reveal, but dropped like an A-bomb, with detailed explanation why she is choosing.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 8, 2018 ---
    And that is why this is race to watch.

5. ronntaylor macrumors regular

ronntaylor

Especially since Bredesen is a popular moderate in the state. He also has support from long-time friend Dolly Parton and other celebs that usually stay out of politics directly.

6. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

I wish Taylor would speak up about my state's politics. I'd vote whichever way Taylor told me to!

7. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

That first part is the important one in this race. He has a well liked history with the voters of Tennessee. The support from celebrities is way down the list of positives. Folks just don't like what they're seeing of the GOP these days and that's going to play a big part in the upcoming elections. Voters like the familiar, and Bredesen is a familiar face to them and not one with unacceptable baggage or affiliations.

8. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

How funny that one forgets when their side did the same thing, with Kid Rock, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Dave Mustaine, and Clint Eastwood. Look at how much effect that had.

BL.

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Taylor’s endorsement is worldwide news. People will know about it.

10. raqball, Oct 8, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2018

raqball macrumors 68000

Zero effect... Just like Clinton's entourage of celebrities and Swift will have...

I assume there will be some brain dead people who will vote the way a celebrity tells them to but............

And exactly what or whom is my side?

11. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Given that Ms. Clinton drew some 2.8 million more votes than the Orangetan, I would not call the efforts on her behalf entirely unsuccessful. And the Tennessee Senate race does rely on popular vote.

12. raqball macrumors 68000

Gee, how did i know that was coming.... Too bad for her, and luckily for our country, we don't use the popular vote...

Aside from that, I doubt celebrities had much to do with it.. Unless millions of (D) are mindless voters who vote how a celebrity tells them to...

13. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

Lots of evangelical voters do exactly as they are told to by their leaders. Many more republican voters do just as Fox news talking heads and radio talking heads tell them to. Why should the voters of Tennessee be any different. And, as @Sydde pointed out...Tennessee will decide by popular vote.

14. raqball macrumors 68000

Guess we will see if a celebrity has any effect.... I doubt it as most are tone deaf to them. Will some mindlessly vote? Sure......

15. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Your side is the side that is against ours.

But I digress: My mistake, for I left out Oprah. Look at how much effect that had.

BL.

16. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

You can’t support the election of a television game show host as president and then complain about celebrity culture. Trump is the apotheosis of celebrity culture.

Meanwhile, 4A62055E-34ED-48DD-94EC-389E1D63F2C0.jpeg

17. mudslag, Oct 9, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2018

mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Celebrities are influential that's why both sides use them. How do you not understand that? They don't have to bring in mass voters, sometimes a single percentage point is all that is needed. Trump himself won 3 key states that Hillary needed by less then 1% in each state. And the youth vote is what both sides will be catering too in the next few elections. So it's more then plausible that she could have an effect that's needed to help.

18. samcraig, Oct 9, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2018

samcraig macrumors P6

Meanwhile, Huckabee is obviously worried. And insulting.

Screen Shot 2018-10-09 at 6.48.08 AM.png

This was just one great comeback

Screen Shot 2018-10-09 at 6.54.21 AM.png

19. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Unlike most celeb "go vote for x" messages, Swift spelled out 4 reasons why in concise wording and her beliefs of fundamental rights.
    That is magnitudes better than most of those endorsements.

It also enforces her personal beliefs that are actually not conservative or liberal, its just equal rights for everyone.

20. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

Celebrities are newsworthy, but have little to no effect on public voting influence. Celebrities have money, a lot of the struggling Americans do not. They tend to vote using their wallets and how to improve jobs and the economy. Celebrities tend to be disillusioned on the real needs of Americans.

21. CaptMurdock Suspended

CaptMurdock

As in "winning the popular vote and losing only to an electoral-college fluke?"

22. mac_in_tosh macrumors 6502

mac_in_tosh

Yeah, she only got 3 million more votes than Liar-In-Chief.

Edited: Looks like this point was already made.

23. CaptMurdock Suspended

CaptMurdock

Lately, the ones that supported a dissembling partisan hack for a Supreme Court seat.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 9, 2018 ---
    Wonder why Mike Huckabee is worried about underage girls expressing themselves... Just Sayin.

24. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

Guess there is a Taylor Effect.

https://gizmodo.com/taylor-swift-causes-surge-in-voter-registration-after-e-1829618381

25. mac_in_tosh macrumors 6502

mac_in_tosh

And of course Trump is already mocking Swift for having the audacity to come out in favor of a Democratic candidate. And other Republicans are joining in on the attack.