Tennessee senate warns hand-holding is a 'gateway sexual activity'

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by steve knight, Apr 12, 2012.

1. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

I do agree most people hold hands and kiss before having sex. but this is jsut a joke.
    http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/...ns-hand-holding-is-a-gateway-sexual-activity-
    Tennessee's latest efforts to remain in the running for America's most ridiculous state legislature are, I must say, quite impressive:

Tennessee senators approved an update to the state's abstinence-based sex education law that includes warnings against "gateway sexual activity."

In a new family life instructions bill, holding hands and kissing could be considered gateways to sex.

Yes. Yes, we must stop hand-holding. Hand-holding may lead to dancing. And naughtiness. If you want to hold that hand, little Timmy, you better put a ring on it. Oh, and careful not to get your Play-Doh on the ring. That stuff's murder to get back off.

Oh, but that's not all! No, there's much, much more.

The bill prohibits teachers from demonstrating gateway sexual activity. CaPese said that would include health education models.

So not only is hand-holding a gateway to sexytimes, but the Tennessee State Senate, having exhausted all other possible things to give a damn about in their state, is making darn sure that your teacher can't demonstrate hand-holding in the classroom, while saying "see? Don't do this." Also out: winking, wearing short sleeves, any shoes not issued by the U.S. Army, and giving other children those horrible, chalky Valentine's Day candies with vapid little sayings on them. I don't know how many of our nation's children have gotten laid as a result of exchanging those wretched, inedible things, but that's not a risk good conservative Republicans can be taking anymore.

If an instructor goes beyond the curriculum, the bill gives parents more legal rights, stating, "The parent or legal guardian shall have a cause of action against the instructor or organization for actual damages."

So if your teacher teaches you anything about sex that isn't specifically on the approved curriculum, like demonstrating "holding hands" for the class instead of quietly tsking about the dangers it poses, they can be sued. Well there ya go then.

In related news, Tennessee high schoolers are above the national average when it comes to how many of them are having sex, so it seems this new anti-handholding agenda is coming along at just the right time. Or is much, much too late. Or is just stupid, and yet another demonstration of what bored old cranks think is best for the young 'uns these days, and actual real-world results be damned.

2. leekohler, Apr 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2012

leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Tell me why this crap is ok. Oh, and if calling these morons out violates MR rules, so be it. Oh, I'm sorry, I was not polite.

You know what? Why in the hell should I be polite to people who wish to deny rights to others? MacRumors, and any other place who grants these people a voice, needs to go.

MR- where do you stand?

3. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

when religion meets fantasy. abstinence only sex education and been proven over and over not to work. but No will the GOP listen to facts when religion is so much more true? nope I guess not.
    Of course all of the pregnant teens this will create that can't have abortions and the welfare the GOP wants to stop for them makes perfect sense.

4. Andeavor macrumors 6502

And you wonder why your government doesn't work with clowns like them in the high seats.

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Hey- this place does not need my voice anymore. Let the GOP douchebags have it. I fought, and fought hard. I tried to have truth win here. But you know what? It's not my website. It belongs to Arn. Money talks, and money has always been a part of Apple.

And yes, I'm drunk. Apple is a corporate entity that I will no longer defend. As a designer, I will use whatever platform works.

6. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Relax Lee. Keep in mind you found out about this stupidity on MR. ;)

7. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

So if this law goes into effect I'm guessing we won't be seeing this in Tennessee Churches anymore right ?

[​IMG]

8. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Before I jump on another tirade and harp on the innocent naiveté of today's youth, I'll digress on that, bring this back on topic and say that bills like this make me happy that we have Kevin Bacon.

It's crap like this that made Footloose what it is today, outside of a good movie. the premise of that movie rings true with this law, and proves that it (the premise) is still valid today.

What I find funny is that is that those for this bill in this thread think that this is right, and have no problem with it, oblivious to the fact that this makes the government more intrusive in their personal lives than anything the Blues have had to offer.

think about it; They, the big bad government want to outlaw what you do with your body, and your right to share your affections with another person? Talk about government really interfering in personal lives.

BL.

9. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Selective intervention.

The new keyword of the day.

;)

10. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Gateway orgy activity.

11. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

More and more I'm glad I don't live in the US any more. WTF is happening to my country?! Christian fundie psychos with no concept of the modern world are turning the USA into a joke. And some have the gall to condemn Islamic nations as oppressive and strict? Get a grip!

12. chrono1081, Apr 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2012

chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

This!

This whole article has me flabbergasted. Since when is sex bad??? If it was so bad none of us would be here!

People will have sex, trying to hide/cover it up is the dumbest thing anyone can do.

13. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I actually expect this type of dancing to make a break-through in Tennessee.

Please, keep your arms at your side.

Attached Files:

14. balamw, Apr 13, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2012

balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

MOD NOTE:

Thread closed temporarily for review. Too complex for quick action.

Bear with us.

EDIT: I tried to save the few posts that were actually on this topic. I saved the Catholicism subthread but have not yet found a way to salvage any bits of it.

Resume

B

15. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

16. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

So how does this whole hand holding ban thing work anyway? Moms hold their son's or daughter's hands...father's and son's or daughters too. Siblings hold each other's hands. For that matter schools tell kids to hold hands on field trips in order to not get separated. Do it. Don't do it. Talk about sending out mixed messages!

17. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

It's all about hormones passing between sweaty palms.

This does not happen in the interactions you cite.

:D

18. /user/me macrumors 6502

Thanks b!!

----------

In addition to that, it increases the chance that adolescents will engage in higher-risk sexual behaviour.

19. Sedulous macrumors 68020

Sedulous

So educating people about a topic will make them more likely to engage in that topic? So when students learn about the horrors of war, they will want to engage in war?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with holding hands and there is nothing wrong with people learning to show affection.

20. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

I'd like to think the poster meant that trying to hide/cover up would lead to riskier behavior.

That the uberconservative Christians don't see they have so much in common with the Taliban they decry is scary. A theocracy is a theocracy. Legislating morality is dangerous.

21. localoid, Apr 13, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2012

localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

It's a slippery slope that starts with a young boy and girl holding one hand that invariably leads to the couple holding two hands at the same time, which of course leads to a lifelong addiction to perverted displays of affection in public.

[​IMG]
    This scourge must be stopped!

22. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

^^ Look at those sick bastards with their arms around each other. Next thing you know, that bridge will be rocking!!

23. Arran macrumors 601

Arran

Agree. I'm getting tired of all this gateway theocratic activity.

24. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Gateway Theocratic Activity

Thank you!! I was trying to figure out how to say this. Brilliant.

25. VulchR, Apr 14, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2012

VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

My first memory of being told what the world's population was was that it was 4 billion people. Now it's 6 billion people and then some. There's a whole lot of evil sex going on out there! :eek:

While I support anything that keeps people together in supportive groups (including the family- composed of any gender or sexual orientation), and while I think we should try to take steps that reduce the chances of kids having children before they are ready, it appalls me that a bunch state legislators would ever consider trying to regulate the way people interact with other. What's next? The junior anti-sex league? In any case, this is why I cringe when my fellow citizens start talking about State's rights....