Term limits

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Aug 13, 2016.

?

Term limits?

1. 8 years max

5 vote(s)
    26.3%
  2. 12 years

6 vote(s)
    31.6%
  3. 16 years

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  4. Aren't you supposed to be in hell?

6 vote(s)
    31.6%
  5. We need easier ways to recall them and hold them accountable

11 vote(s)
    57.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

the idea sounds appealing until you realize you will get inexperienced people in positions of power at the mercy of special interest groups, that said congress has a 9% or so approval rating and are pretty worthless , it's easy to blame the clown on top ( Obama /bush ) overlooking the role of congress in the mess. So what to do?

2. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I say one 6 year term for president. And another alternating 6 year term for congress with a cap at 12 years.

3. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

Everyone thinks the other guy's Congressperson is corrupt, not their own. That's why Congress has such a low approval rating, but the same people get elected over and over. Polling shows people hate Congress, but they like their own Congresspersons.

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I think my guy is corrupt. So I never vote for him. :p

5. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Another problem is institutional memory, expertise, and power would gradually accrue to the unelected congressional staff. I think a better solution is to ban gerrymandering and use one of the several scientific/mathematical algorithms to design congressional districts.

6. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I also believe that they should not be given life pensions. They should live like every other civil servant - underpaid with few fringes that expire upon retirement.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Senators - two 6 year terms.
    Representatives - three 4 year terms. (electing every representative every two years is beyond stupid in my opinion.)

8. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Why? The two year term, in theory, allows for nearly immediate accountability. That 200 years of practice has taught the incumbents how to play the game and hold onto office with a vice-like grip is an externality to the underlying cycle, not an inherent problem.

9. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

But it also means they are pretty much always in campaign mode

10. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

If they are in campaign mode, they have to be judicious about the legislation they are willing to pass.

Also, I don't have a problem with term limits, I just see a value to the rapid two year cycle especially in contrast to the stability of the Senate.

11. Herdfan macrumors 6502

Absolutely.

Another solution would be to require each house to bring to a floor vote any legislation the other house has passed. The 2012-14 GOP house passed many bills that Harry Reid sat on. And the 2012-14 Senate passed several bills that Boehner sat on. The American people might have like some of those bills, but we never got to hear about them because they were never given a chance. Also, the Committee Chairs have too much power.

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Exactly.

In addition, I would add that each bill should only cover one thing. Too often, they try and hide something in a larger bill that they know won't be voted down.

13. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

While we're at it, let's pass a new law that any bill they bring forth can only be a single issue bill. Vote on one issue at a time without trying to hide other issues inside a bigger bill.

14. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

Perhaps. But Committee Chairs are generally established by seniority and length of service. That kind of political power has benefits if used properly, but can be abused. Kind of a catch-22.

For legislative term limits, I would say:

Four 6-year terms in the Senate (24 years total)
    Ten 2-year terms in the House. (20 years total)

Turning it over faster than that I think risks loss of institutional memory and gives (unelected) administrative agencies more power, but it also gives the people the ability to return a Congressperson to Congress that has served them well.

I don't think JK included this in the poll, but I would also like to see term limits on Supreme Court Justices (and perhaps some lower federal courts). Other countries do this, and to me it makes good sense IMHO in order for the people to have more input on who serves in the Judiciary. Currently, there is no limit to how long an appointed judge can serve, and I think this causes problems, especially with longer lifespans today.

For Judges, I would consider:

1. A lifetime appointment, but subject to periodic re-confirmation by the Senate (this would give some accountability); or

2. A single 18-year term.

I would also consider imposing mandatory retirement, perhaps at age 70 or 75.

15. stroked Suspended

stroked

Periodic reconfirmation by the Senate, would just turn the judges into politicians, but I do like the idea of a mandatory retirement at age 70.