Terminated VZW Contract

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nburwell, Jul 2, 2012.

1. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

Over the weekend, I terminated my VZW contract by porting my number to another carrier. My question is this: Can I list my 4S on eBay now? Or do I have to wait until I get my final VZW bill and pay the ETF before the iPhone can be used on someone else's account? Is there anything else I need to do as well? Thanks in advance.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you don't pay off your bill, the buyer will be unable to activate the phone. VZW prevents any such activations until you're free and clear with them

3. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

Which, I believe, is standard for every carrier.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I never heard anything like this on AT&T. All you need to do is pop in a new sim chip and you're off. With VZW (at least with 3G) there's no sim chip and you need to call and supply them with either the MEID, ESN or IMEI number

5. nburwell thread starter macrumors 68040

nburwell

I don't plan on not paying. So as long as my last bill is paid, then the buyer will be okay to activate it on his/her account, correct?

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Correct and I wasn't implying that you wouldn't, just that you have to have a zero balance before the phone can be reactivated.

7. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

Yes

8. nburwell thread starter macrumors 68040

nburwell

Oh, I know. I appreciate the response. I just don't want to sell the phone, then the buyer comes back and says they can't activate it on their account.

9. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

You can call Verizon and ask to pay your final bill immediately if you don't want to wait until the final bill comes.

10. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Actually, if you just stop by a Verizon store you can settle everything on the spot, ETF (if any) included. I personally recommend this so you get a timely "paid in full" receipt in case your buyer runs into issues re-activating.

11. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

I too would do this. Although you will be in the clear regardless of how you pay it, you will ensure you will be able to sell the phone in a timely matter this way. What made you end up leaving?

12. techiegirl macrumors 6502a

techiegirl

We terminated service with Verizon a few weeks ago and sold the iPhone last week before we received the final billing. We met the buyer at a Verizon store and they had no problem activating the phone even though we haven't paid the final bill yet.

13. jason2811 macrumors 6502a

How much were you able to sell it for?

14. andyx3x macrumors 65816

This is wrong.

You can sell your phone right now and it can be activated. The ESN doesn't become bad until your due date comes and you haven't paid your bill. Your iPhone can be activated on another line up until that date without you having paid your bill yet.

I have done this quite a few times after selling iPhones on Craiglist. Last time was ten days ago.